Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

If it helps @shropshirelad I did a quick search on eBay and found a non-corridor Maunsell Brake 3rd but in Southern livery (see @chris45lsw above) at a BIN price of £18.99 + p&p or a Malachite liveried corridor Brake 3rd at BIN price of £22.99 (with free p&p)

TMC also have the rebuilt LSWR brake coach as per @NHY 581’s maroon example but in green, for a BIN of £32.17 + p&p

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Added further coach links
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

If it helps @shropshirelad I did a quick search on eBay and found a non-corridor Maunsell Brake 3rd but in Southern livery (see @chris45lsw above) at a BIN price of £18.99 + p&p or a Malachite liveried corridor Brake 3rd at BIN price of £22.99 (with free p&p)

Neither of those are Maunsell coaches - they're the ancient Hornby ones that were sold as Maunsells, Collets or Staniers with the same underframe and ends, and don't look much like anbd of those. You can get the modern proper Maunsells for not much more. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

41 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Neither of those are Maunsell coaches - they're the ancient Hornby ones that were sold as Maunsells, Collets or Staniers with the same underframe and ends, and don't look much like anbd of those. You can get the modern proper Maunsells for not much more. 

And there was I going off the descriptions! 🙄 Today I have learnt something new.

I take it the rebuilt LSWR brake coach is an accurate model?

Cheers

Steve S

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, SteveyDee68 said:

And there was I going off the descriptions! 🙄 Today I have learnt something new.

Cheers

Steve S

Yes, used on the Lyme Lamb Regis branch, amongst others.

IMG_20230808_1749362272.jpg.91d0455ce7609183c583bdc6306b20b3.jpg

Edited by Tim Dubya
Forgot where I was for a moment
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

What I have noticed on eBay is a huge glut of Hornby Bulleid brake 3rd coaches in both SR and BR green, and yet only two examples of the matching composite coach.

I’m guessing that Hornby massively overproduced brake coaches, forgetting that each train will (at most) probably only have two of each, with perhaps up to 12 non-brake coaches inbetween!

I would think even producing coaches in a ratio of around 1:3 brake to non-brake coaches could end up with scarcity of intermediate stock, despite the majority of modellers* perhaps only able to run four coach trains on their layouts, as the moment a modeller purchases enough coaches for say a 10 coach train, that leaves at least one redundant brake coach for sale.

Glad I don’t have to predict volume of models to be produced!

Steve S

* Sweeping generalisation based upon general reading 

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Yep, you need to check the photos too! The old ones date back to the 80s I believe.

Yes, the rebuilt LSWR ones are accurate, as are the new tooling Maunsells. You can probably tell by the R numbers which are which, but I don't know for sure - there might be newer releases of the old tooling in the 'Railroad' range...

Just now, SteveyDee68 said:

What I have noticed on eBay is a huge glut of Hornby Bulleid brake 3rd coaches in both SR and BR green, and yet only two examples of the matching composite coach.

I’m guessing that Hornby massively overproduced brake coaches, forgetting that each train will (at most) probably only have two of each, with perhaps up to 12 non-brake coaches inbetween!

I would think even producing coaches in a ratio of around 1:3 brake to non-brake coaches could end up with scarcity of intermediate stock, despite the majority of modellers* perhaps only able to run four coach trains on their layouts, as the moment a modeller purchases enough coaches for say a 10 coach train, that leaves at least one redundant brake coach for sale.

Glad I don’t have to predict volume of models to be produced!

Steve S

* Sweeping generalisation based upon general reading 

It should have been really easy to get the right numbers - Those coaches should be in a ratio of 2:1, as they ran in 3-sets BSK-CK-BSK - but it seems like Hornby produced two of _each_ BSK for each CK... 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

As much as Ilike living in the East of Norfolk, there is one problem and that is most exhibitions are at least 50+ miles away most of the better much further. I would love to see your layouts and you in the lamb (whoops flesh) but Somerset is a might to far, particularly in the boating season so cannot even make a short holiday out of a visit. Anyway. I hope all goes well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, westerner said:

As much as Ilike living in the East of Norfolk, there is one problem and that is most exhibitions are at least 50+ miles away most of the better much further. I would love to see your layouts and you in the lamb (whoops flesh) but Somerset is a might to far, particularly in the boating season so cannot even make a short holiday out of a visit. Anyway. I hope all goes well.

Evening Alan, 

Goid to hear from you and thank you. Bit of a flap on at present but quietly getting there. Hopefully get a wiggle on tomorrow. 

Furthest East I'm venturing this year is Uckfield which is still far from you....but never say never ! 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

This evening saw the second J70 receiving it's now weathered ends. 

A rubbish 'place holder' photo.....more tomorrow. 

20230808_221833-02.jpeg.ac23208e2c9f246cc7480ed470f15a7c.jpeg

Do you need one of these to go with the sheds?

wills-ss20-greenhouse-cold-frames-oo-gauge-scenic-kit-3054706-6002.jpg.ba2cb8b876d3c39fd8a008df7d818b44.jpg

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Do you need one of these to go with the sheds?

wills-ss20-greenhouse-cold-frames-oo-gauge-scenic-kit-3054706-6002.jpg.ba2cb8b876d3c39fd8a008df7d818b44.jpg

No.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

If I may give a "heads up" to something which has developed on another thread, The Night Mail. It involves another member who is a close friend of mine and has both my sympathy and my support. I will not go into the exact details but I am aware of what has gone on and crucially, the way it has been moderated, something which I am wholly at odds with. 

This then is the post I have just made on that thread which I hope is self explanatory. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 7

Rob may I just chip in my two penny worth on the TNM and wider issue for which I apologise if it causes any offence. Having been recently 'moderated' in relation to TNM I'm very aware that the current process is definitely imperfect and I know Richard was not happy about it. Whilst no one should object to reasonable moderating, it needs to be done with tact and with processes in place to ensure it is not being abused. With out either of these I'm afraid it is a power that can easily become too much.

Ian

• Like 2