RMweb

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Funny things, B4's.  One seems to have landed here, as it was the last one Hattons had and I didn't want to disappoint them.  Bargain £150.

Currently it is a rather un-fetching shade of brown lined red and named Caen, it may or may not remain brown but will become the NCB's shunter Ruby, as it is my Ruby Wedding Present. Oh, it's reet big too - 7mm scale!

Rename to Trouville. Leave as brown. Sold into industrial use by BR in 1950s. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, paulbb said:

Cant wait to see your Italian job, will it feature exploding doors and subterranean minis?

Roco and ACME do some impossibly cute FS shunters...care to show/

Hi Paul,

Here you go......

213 ( Kof ii ) from Lenz

20230816_162949-01.jpeg.ddfa9b4ade3b0f8c2bba3880d95c8c35.jpeg.jpg.3abb6d169927448ab4d497a5e68ac2cf.jpg

150 Badoni from Lilliput

20230816_162937-01.jpeg.df6eaea4b2843ab50e2159b79e1166e0.jpeg.jpg.57f9ea713eb976dedeb1ca3f4f6e744a.jpg

20230816_163233-01.jpeg.9b8adca08b29a0c65eae663cfa90507e.jpeg.jpg.07351098120978bf7a77378001929271.jpg

I also have examples of Gr851 and Gr835 from Lima and Rivarossi respectively. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 19

49 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Paul,

Here you go......

213 ( Kof ii ) from Lenz

20230816_162949-01.jpeg.ddfa9b4ade3b0f8c2bba3880d95c8c35.jpeg.jpg.3abb6d169927448ab4d497a5e68ac2cf.jpg

150 Badoni from Lilliput

20230816_162937-01.jpeg.df6eaea4b2843ab50e2159b79e1166e0.jpeg.jpg.57f9ea713eb976dedeb1ca3f4f6e744a.jpg

20230816_163233-01.jpeg.9b8adca08b29a0c65eae663cfa90507e.jpeg.jpg.07351098120978bf7a77378001929271.jpg

I also have examples of Gr851 and Gr835 from Lima and Rivarossi respectively. 

Rob

Is that Kof related to Alfred and Judy?

P.S. I usually "cough"before Gxxxx Wxxxxxx

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I

2 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

Is that Kof related to Alfred and Judy?

P.S. I usually "cough"before Gxxxx Wxxxxxx

Is that one of there offsprings following a dark night in Par... 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Lovely things Rob!

Hi John. 

Thanks. Yes they are delightful little chaps. Both run extremely well, despite their short wheelbase. The steam locos are also lovely things. A few assorted wagons and there's your basis for a bit of a European goods yard layout. Nothing fancy or complex. 

Rob

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all.

Not much to report as I set to the Rrom of Doom with the best of intentions but became absorbed in further 'testing' and that was that. 

Swapped the resident B4 with a couple of other locos. The regular Sheep Dip 08 enjoyed itself immensely as did the soon to be Lambsdown pairing of Ex LB&SCR Terrier 751 and SE&CR P Class 27. Even allowing for the fact that they were DCC fitted and obviously running on DC they ran very well. 

Also enjoying a gallop ( relatively speaking ) were a Beastly Well Tank and a Y3 Sentinel. 

Basically, anything small and shunty is at home with the 08 being as large as one might want to go though I might try a Pannier later......... 

In short, this little layout is doing what I hoped it would. 

Rob. 

Rrom? Is that Welsh dear sheep. Are you going native on us??

Be sure to post a photo of the pannier.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Rrom? Is that Welsh dear sheep. Are you going native on us??

Be sure to post a photo of the pannier.

No.........and.......er.....no. 

Once again I see right through you. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Oldddudders said:

Not a nice thought…….

Totally agree..........what is once seen cannot be unseen......

• Agree 3

I know that Welsh doesn't translate directly, but the distance isn't the only thing lost in translation, surely the sign should read:

It is an 8 minute walk to the shops, cafés & more.

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Can I just ask a quwstion on DCC, this might be very obvous to some but how do you clean the wheels on a DCC loco, I use a Peco wheel cleaner wire brush and scraper running off the back of an old H&M controller... but with DCC how is this going to work, should this now be running from the track itself on croc clips....

Intrested to see what others do...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Can I just ask a quwstion on DCC, this might be very obvous to some but how do you clean the wheels on a DCC loco, I use a Peco wheel cleaner wire brush and scraper running off the back of an old H&M controller... but with DCC how is this going to work, should this now be running from the track itself on croc clips....

You could always leave the ability to run on DC set on the decoders, or connect a wheel cleaning track to the DCC system as I do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I know that Welsh doesn't translate directly, but the distance isn't the only thing lost in translation, surely the sign should read:

I’m dyslexic so both signs look the same to me

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

That said, there are benefits to going native. For one, you can walk quicker if you speak Welsh. 

5DAB06CC-B6C0-4B43-9ECE-CC2959F13830.jpeg.5e124877dc7292dd1bd67587de1117a5.jpeg

Don’ t knock the natives.........

Or a shortcut for Welsh speakers to get to the front of the queue?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, John Besley said:

45 minutes ago, 2E Sub Shed said:

You could always leave the ability to run on DC set on the decoders, or connect a wheel cleaning track to the DCC system as I do.

And I also have one of these (this is N, other flavours are available of these in different scales)

image.png.3b692e88ebcfa73942df7519824044d2.png

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/13142/66623-Trix-Loco-Wheel-Cleaning-Brush

It sits on the track so it works with DCC!  But I do also have all my locos capable of DC running as well for the rolling road as on DC all the DCC fangdangled acceleration curves are disabled.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

That said, there are benefits to going native. For one, you can walk quicker if you speak Welsh. 

Rude of the Welsh to write almost the whole sign in their own language, but borrow the English for the number six…

• Funny 8

6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Is Welsh time  that much shorter? 6 minutes in Welsh is 8 minutes in English! I have a Welsh friend who elasticates time. Renowned for "Back in an hour", turns up 90 minutes later while your bladder is bursting and you have missed your 1pm lunch slot.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 2E Sub Shed said:

Hmm leaving the ability to run on DC ... how does that effect the decoder? I fixnt realise you could have both functions in operation...

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Hmm leaving the ability to run on DC ... how does that effect the decoder? I fixnt realise you could have both functions in operation...

It simply requires a different value in CV29. Many people don’t enable it because if there is a short circuit under DCC operation it sometimes confuses the decoder into setting the loco off at warpspeed. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That is minor compared to much of the language mangling that goes on today.  I don't know whether its the pupils or the schools or just me being an old fuddy duddy but I do question whether whoever specified that sign is worth their wages.

Don

• Agree 4

10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

It's quicker for the Welsh because they just read the English bit and start walking, whereas the English only readers stop and try and match the Welsh to the English; siopau means shop does it, and caffis is cafe and mwy is more, gerdded must mean walk.  Then you say it out loud a couple of times pronouncing words all wrong (in Welsh silly, not English, we know many of us butcher the English language daily) before moving on.

That's why the Welsh know it will take the English longer to walk to the shops and by the time the English arrive the Welsh have gotten the bargains.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6