• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Rude of the Welsh to write almost the whole sign in their own language, but borrow the English for the number six…

Rude of the English to pinch all the Roman letters for their new fangled language that the Welsh had been using before English existed 😁

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

It simply requires a different value in CV29. Many people don’t enable it because if there is a short circuit under DCC operation it sometimes confuses the decoder into setting the loco off at warpspeed. 

For that reason, many newer decoders don't have that feature.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, woodenhead said:

And I also have one of these (this is N, other flavours are available of these in different scales)

image.png.3b692e88ebcfa73942df7519824044d2.png

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/13142/66623-Trix-Loco-Wheel-Cleaning-Brush

It sits on the track so it works with DCC!  But I do also have all my locos capable of DC running as well for the rolling road as on DC all the DCC fangdangled acceleration curves are disabled.

I use one very successfully (CK hates the thing!). I widened the base track slots to P4 and soldered a pair of wires so that it can be 'hand held' as well (a Baron Harrap modification!)

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Tortuga said:

Rude of the Welsh to write almost the whole sign in their own language, but borrow the English for the number six…

didn't we nick the numerals from the arabs they could have been using them or something else while we had to use the roman system. 

incidently using binary you can count to 1023 on your fingers.

Don 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Anotheran said:

Rude of the English to pinch all the Roman letters for their new fangled language that the Welsh had been using before English existed 😁

The celtic languages used runic style  script rather different to the letters the romans brought. it also thought that Welsh as a distinct variation occurred after the Roman occupation with Saxon and Dane invasions.

Don 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 minutes ago, Donw said:

The celtic languages used runic style  script rather different to the letters the romans brought. it also thought that Welsh as a distinct variation occurred after the Roman occupation with Saxon and Dane invasions.

Don 

Was that so that when the Danes and Norman's walked into the tavern they were able to switch to another language. Like they do nowadays in order to make you feel 'welcome'. So I've been told, as it's never happened to me as I'm bilingual. Manutopean and English before you ask.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 16/01/2024 at 08:32, NHY 581 said:

That said, there are benefits to going native. For one, you can walk quicker if you speak Welsh. 

5DAB06CC-B6C0-4B43-9ECE-CC2959F13830.jpeg.5e124877dc7292dd1bd67587de1117a5.jpeg

Don’ t knock the natives.........

Either that, or a Welsh munud is equal to 80 English seconds...😇

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Was that so that when the Danes and Norman's walked into the tavern they were able to switch to another language. Like they do nowadays in order to make you feel 'welcome'. So I've been told, as it's never happened to me as I'm bilingual. Manutopean and English before you ask.

The Welsh would have been speaking some dialect of a celtic language but with the changes in England the contacts between the various tribes decreased and those still using it such as in Wales and Cornwall became separate.  The Saxons were a germanic tribe not celts so how well they could communicate i cannot say.

Don

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2024 at 09:14, Re6/6 said:

I use one very successfully (CK hates the thing!).

Yes, I do.

Horrible things that do horrible things to wheels.

Other opinions are available.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Yes, I do.

Horrible things that do horrible things to wheels.

Other opinions are available.

I'm not a fan either. I have a Peco track rubber sharpened to a chisel point which I use to clean wheels.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I pop the loco on the rolling road and then use a cotton bud dipped in my favourite tipple - IPA.

I highly recommend this one :

A3F9FAA3-C9A0-4A28-A04F-2F58039F603B.jpeg.96c1d9514c5e4e9f87a51cdbe706c61d.jpeg

Made in Derby. Excellent. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Ok Thanks for that I'll have a think on wheel cleaning

Use graphite on the rail tops and you won't have to clean the wheels. I use it and have never had any need to clean the wheels on any of my locomotives. I'm saying graphite is the reason but I don't know for sure. All I do know is that I have never had to clean loco wheels since I started using it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Use graphite on the rail tops and you won't have to clean the wheels. I use it and have never had any need to clean the wheels on any of my locomotives. I'm saying graphite is the reason but I don't know for sure. All I do know is that I have never had to clean loco wheels since I started using it.

A medium to soft Carpenter's pencil with a wide core is a handy way of applying the graphite.

But beware if you are using a highish frequency PWM type control, as too much graphite can lead to shorting of intentional isolation gaps / railjoiners. I have experienced the effect - and the resulting hunt for the problems.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Cellulose thinners.

Takes no prisoners. Dirt flees screaming from it.

Definitely.  If you wish to preserve any particular brain cells, I suggest you put them in a vapour proof bag for the duration of useage... and then some.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Cellulose thinners.

Takes no prisoners. Dirt flees screaming from it.

I once mentioned cellulose thinners to the late-lamented Mick Bonwick in the context of airbrush cleaning......I only did it once....just saying..

Chris H

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I once mentioned cellulose thinners to the late-lamented Mick Bonwick in the context of airbrush cleaning......I only did it once....just saying..

Chris H

I think I did the same once.... a few months later my air brush failed...

• Friendly/supportive 2