5 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

This is the photo by Dr Ian C Allen that got me thinking. 

IMG-20210805-WA0001-01.jpeg.9dbd2b62a1e8717ba69bbb33d405c471.jpeg

J15 alongside the pond at Laxfield. August 1952. 

From Dr Allen's Branchlines of East Anglia book, I still have my copy, one of the first books I bought, now around 45 years old and still a regular read. I have nearly all his books, they are great apart from the fact he didn't date his photos which can be a real pain.

I've just bought the latest collection of diesel photos.

Martyn

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Too late.

I'm troubled by the critical juxtaposition of the internal dynamic of biomorphic forms with any optical suggestion of aesthetic principles, where the aura of the figurative matrix could cause rampant ambiguity in the overall definition of the work.

Can I have a translation, I tried Google translate, but it asked me what language it was in and it didn't recognize goobledegook.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Donw said:

Wells next the sea of course.  I drew up quite a few plans after staying there before I remembered all my stuff was Cambrian or GWR not much use for Norfolk.

When you say "plans", do you mean layout plans or plans (aka drawings) of buildings in the area? If you still have them and are willing to share, I have a thread Woodhey Quay where you are welcome to dump deposit any such materials, as I'm kind of inclinated towards there as inspiration for that future layout (as I am towards stealing borrowing the trackplan posted earlier!)

Apologies for hijacking @NHY 581's thread!

Steve S

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Can I have a translation, I tried Google translate, but it asked me what language it was in and it didn't recognize goobledegook.

That was possibly your first mistake, Sibbers.......

38 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Nicht hinauslehnen!

I rest my case. 

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

The Rice plan is one I’ve looked at and mocked up in the past using Peco large radius points. It’s an engaging, simple track plan with plenty of ‘play’ value. From my trial it was too linear in the very similar alignment I had and I put a large radius Y point in at the red circle with no overall loss to the design. It’s around the length of medium radius points so if using those, there won’t be a change to siding/loop lengths.

A61ABBD7-5AB8-48E4-AF8F-36BED37BECB4.jpeg.832551251fa2818cd7cf4ef73950b446.jpeg

This gave a more natural sweep to the plan, it’s still on the future shelfie possibles list. It may also benefit from a left hand curved point where the locomotive is to give a gentle S to the plan. You would lose slightly on headshunt length though.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

When you say "plans", do you mean layout plans or plans (aka drawings) of buildings in the area? If you still have them and are willing to share, I have a thread Woodhey Quay where you are welcome to dump deposit any such materials, as I'm kind of inclinated towards there as inspiration for that future layout (as I am towards stealing borrowing the trackplan posted earlier!)

Apologies for hijacking @NHY 581's thread!

Steve S

Well I doubt I could find them now some may be in old notebooks many are just drawn on bits of paper. These are track plans of a sort or sketches of how I envisage the layout. Probably half the details were left in my head and never reached paper

This was one I drew up for a 2mm layout which got as far as a baseboard before I moved home and had other things to do.

post-8525-0-75280700-1298537142_thumb.jpgmv

I am rather with Ian Rice on the fact that a layout is more than a track plan. The one above was based on the idea that more could have been made of East Cowes in earlier days. my idea is this could have been up river a tad from the town and dock of today.  As with all the possible Isle of Wight  ideas you run up against the stock limitations O2s and the odd terrier are nice but limiting and sneaking in GWR visitor a bit hopeless as it would just jar to much. Now looking at it again move it to somewhere up the tamar south of Gunislake probably reverse it so the track came in on the LHS. A small river port built to handle minerals off the moor. It has as they say possibilities.

Apologies Rob a bit Off topic.

Don

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Oh! 

Happy Birthday Steve. !!!!!

c4410d4879832465ef9445221806aa71.jpg

What a fabulous photo! Takes me back to my grandparents' house in North London, complete with picture rail and, if I'm not mistaken, a hinged curtain rail on the door from which, in winter, a heavy velvet curtain would hang to keep out draughts.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/08/2021 at 22:15, PMP said:

The Rice plan is one I’ve looked at and mocked up in the past using Peco large radius points. It’s an engaging, simple track plan with plenty of ‘play’ value. From my trial it was too linear in the very similar alignment I had and I put a large radius Y point in at the red circle with no overall loss to the design. It’s around the length of medium radius points so if using those, there won’t be a change to siding/loop lengths.

A61ABBD7-5AB8-48E4-AF8F-36BED37BECB4.jpeg.832551251fa2818cd7cf4ef73950b446.jpeg

This gave a more natural sweep to the plan, it’s still on the future shelfie possibles list. It may also benefit from a left hand curved point where the locomotive is to give a gentle S to the plan. You would lose slightly on headshunt length though.

Thanks Paul. 

That got the creative juices going this morning.

According to PECO, the large Y is described as being 220mm as opposed to 219mm for the medium radius L/H there at present. 

I'll pick one up later today, hopefully and stick with the existing arrangement off the loop into the headshunt to preserve the length of the headshunt. 

20210806_082938-01.jpeg.2e73ad9ae219397f33c4f9501d51611a.jpeg

You're spot on regarding the curve into the 'coal siding' arising  from the adoption of the Y point.

Flipping the med radius over to represent the resulting curve, that would appear to be the track layout sorted. 

Much more pleasing to the eye. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Badgers
  • Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Thanks Paul. 

That got the creative juices going this morning.

According to PECO, the large Y is described as being 220mm as opposed to 219mm for the medium radius L/H there at present. 

I'll pick one up later today, hopefully and stick with the existing arrangement off the loop into the headshunt to preserve the length of the headshunt. 

You're spot on regarding the curve into the 'coal siding' resulting from the adoption of the Y point.

Flipping the med radius over to represent the resulting curve, that would appear to be the track layout sorted. 

Much more pleasing to the eye. 

Rob. 

20210806_082938-01.jpeg

Bear in mind, though that the overall angle of the long Y is the same as a handed point (not greater as is the case with the short Y), so substituting one for the RH you have placed on top won't produce a parallel loop road (a short Y would, but they do rather stick out when mixed with long handed points). 

I think the solution (though I'm not 100% certain) is to replace the RH immediately above the loco with a LH curved point. If you don't have one to try in place, you can print paper templates off Peco's website. Edit: Using another long Y in place of the RH might work even better and save a couple of valuable inches in length.

Either substitution would have implications for the angle of the headshunt in relation to the rest, but any length lost should be recoverable by angling the whole formation forward by half the angle of a point at this end, so the back road would no longer be parallel with the rear of the baseboard.  

John  

PS. This plan might also be practicable using only long Y points which would definitely produce a nicely sinuous formation. 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Those small changes are making a big difference to the visual quality of the layout.

I can only echo your comments way back on page 2 of my thread Rob.

"I'm liking the lack of 'straightness' to the plot. It has a sinuous quality about it."

Even a short train will snake through the open landscape giving the effect of greater distance traveled.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

The plan is in Light Railway Layout Designs,  ( Wild Swan)  pages 31 -35, Orford. 

Crikey - cheapest I've found this is £37 + £4 p&p for a secondhand copy! Most online sellers are asking £49.99, and one wants £60+ :o

Given that I have to buy a treatise/method for my new job costing £66 for the (new) book, I don't think I'll be buying a copy of this anytime soon!* At least I have the pertinent bit to act as a stimulus!

Steve S

* For anyone reading Castlebrook Sidings, you'll know I treated myself to a Hattons Andrew Barclay Coronation for my birthday, so all the model railway birthday tokens have been used up! Regrets? None - she's a beauty! :lol:

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I think that looks rather good like that Rob. It has a feeling of open space that will suit an East Anglian byway model nicely. 

I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Well, a quick trip to the train shop yielded a large radius Y point. Much comparison was made of the small radius jobbie, mindful of  John's observations but as per his thoughts it did indeed look too stunted. Not right. Therefore I opted to try the large radius as suggested by Paul. 

This is the result with the long 'back' siding tweaked as suggested by Sibbers. 

I think with minimal wiggling we are now there.........   

Thanks to all for their comments thus far. 

Rob. 

20210806_135529-02.jpeg

Hi Rob,

Looks good, but one word of caution; clearance going past the long Y looks a bit tight and could limit what you can run round. 

It might pay to insert an inch or so of plain track between the Long RH point and the Y, adjusting elsewhere as necessary.

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Dunsignalling said:

Looks good, but one word of caution; clearance going past the long Y looks a bit tight and could limit what you can run round. 

It might pay to insert an inch or so of plain track between the Long RH point and the Y, adjusting elsewhere as necessary

I am minded to agree with John, although you could argue that not all movements have to enter the yard 'loco first'.

Perhaps there is a longer RR loop a few chains down the line, off scene?

Otherwise, I agree with everything that my learned colleagues have said.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Hi Rob,

It might pay to insert an inch or so of plain track between the Long RH point and the Y, adjusting elsewhere as necessary.

John

Thanks John, 

Very good point. It will, of course, all come down the final laying of the track. Care will be needed and taken to maximise clearances. On this basis I shall stand by on the adding of track but again, your observations and those of CK duly noted. 

I don't see anymore than two wagons plus a brake van forming the trains. Anymore than this and there is a danger that the character I am hoping to create here is lost. 

But it will be snug.............no doubt on that. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Trousers too tight.
  • Like 7