Welcome back Rob, I think that you're right about easing yourself back into the cut and thrust of building the bucolic.

We know what happens when we take on an interminable project and get far too serious about a hobby that's supposed to be fun....;)

I'm sure that as Project X progresses we'll all learn something in between the inevitable external interruptions about sheep, panniers and obscure chatter about cast iron lamp posts.

I am of course, as guilty as everyone else!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Strangely, I miss wearing a shirt & tie, not only since before Lockdown & WFH - I always had a sense of being professionally dressed and therefore had a professional attitude.  The current job is in a small-ish firm with no internal or external customers, so no need.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Strangely, I miss wearing a shirt & tie, not only since before Lockdown & WFH - I always had a sense of being professionally dressed and therefore had a professional attitude.  The current job is in a small-ish firm with no internal or external customers, so no need.

Maybe no need, but does that stop you? I work in software R&D, where casual dress is commonplace, but one of my colleagues (recently retired) wore a shirt and tie every day, regardless of whether everyone around him was in jeans and t-shirt. 

IMHO it always works best if everyone can wear what they find most comfortable (within reason, obviously...)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

That's better, thanks for Jacob - he really looks looks like a horny sheep with horns and of course that is what he is.

I fink that's a Loughtan rather than a Jacob?  Colouring?  Just like BR or GWR green, there'll be an argument!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

5 minutes ago, Nick C said:

Maybe no need, but does that stop you? I work in software R&D, where casual dress is commonplace, but one of my colleagues (recently retired) wore a shirt and tie every day, regardless of whether everyone around him was in jeans and t-shirt. 

IMHO it always works best if everyone can wear what they find most comfortable (within reason, obviously...)

I slid slowly away from suit and tie to casual.

When I began work in the 80s I had to put my suit jacket on just to move floors, the jacket only came off when sat down, that was the rule.

With my current employer it was smart cotton shirt / smart pants without the tie, then I invested in more casual pants and work shoes replaced with walking shoes, then the shirts got more casual - I was working home more often than being in the office so no need for anything really smart until my son's graduation.  I pulled out the only suit that fitted, I looked like I belonged to the Italian Mafia but it was the only suit I had and felt quite self conscious.  I have since invested in a 'modern' suit for when I need to be smart, just the one funeral so far.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I actually like wearing a suit now and again, even though I am told that I look like some 1950s detective in one.

Trouble is I don't really get many opportunities. Most things that I do, I tend to get covered in muck so it isn't practical.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

I really don't miss being a 'suit' at all.  Having worn one form or another (school, Merch, management) of uniform most of my life it was a relief to leave it all behind. Cargo trousers and T shirts now!

My view exactly, wearing a suit every working day for the last 35 years prior to retirement I made the remark that I won't be wearing one again and I haven't. Couldn't wait for the day it happened. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, jollysmart said:

My view exactly, wearing a suit every working day for the last 35 years prior to retirement I made the remark that I won't be wearing one again and I haven't. Couldn't wait for the day it happened. 

That's not very "jollysmart" then, is it ? ;)

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Stubby47 said:

That's not very "jollysmart" then, is it ? ;)

Sartorially it used to be, but proving I'm smart I stopped it and I like to think for once I'm right.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 1

I suspect that if I had been required to wear a suit every day for work, I would have changed into a pair of worn out and oilstained jeans as soon as I got home. That's the way it was with school uniform. I do mean a proper one, jacket, tie, the works. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I really don't miss being a 'suit' at all.  Having worn one form or another (school, Merch, management) of uniform most of my life it was a relief to leave it all behind. Cargo trousers and T shirts now!

Same here.  I wore a suit at work because in the early years of my working that was what you did in certain lines of work.  1973 I went into uniform but again it was suits and that remained the case until the mid '80s but by then I'd acquired plenty of spare trousers and jackets as it was a visit to Burtons every other year so I simply carried on wearing uniform pin-stripe suits because in my job I was in any case still expected to wear a suit.  And that remained the case almost until the day I left the big railway although by then 'dress down Fridays were becoming the fashion sofor my final few months I went in for 'dress down weekdays' as I was really awaiting my redundancy date to be advised.  

I haven't work a suit since and have no intention of wearing one ever again if I can help it.  And to add to the enjoyment of getting out of that way of dressing I reckon I wear a tie no more than half-a-dozen days in the average year, yippee.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

And here's me thinking this thread was about sheep and modelling !

Who started this whole clothing thing off anyway ?

Edited by bgman
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1