Somewhere out west

Dbr1295

• RMweb Gold

Just read through your thread after Andy P mentioned it as an inspiration for his cutting and bridge. Very much like the modelling and the photos with the back story are something that always draws me to a thread. I've grabbed lots of links from your posts to add to my list of how to do things. Of particular note to me were the hedges and flowers as well as the layout of the aforementioned cutting and bridge! But there's nothing on there that I don't like! Another thread to follow for me!

Kind regards, Neil

Just read through your thread after Andy P mentioned it as an inspiration for his cutting and bridge. Very much like the modelling and the photos with the back story are something that always draws me to a thread. I've grabbed lots of links from your posts to add to my list of how to do things. Of particular note to me were the hedges and flowers as well as the layout of the aforementioned cutting and bridge! But there's nothing on there that I don't like! Another thread to follow for me!

Kind regards, Neil

Thank you very much Neil.

Cheers, Les

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Haven't posted on this thread for a while, too many other things taking my time. Some work being done, spread over many different projects, so progress slowly being made but not a lot to show for it.

Some of these jobs being continuing work on the station building, finally made some doors for the loco shed, and started on a yard crane. Also made a little progress on the Ratio signal box, it was starting to annoy me a little and I was ready to kick it to touch. I found I could not get the window frames adhere to the walls. Finally after trying different glues / solvents I found the Revell plastic cement worked. So finally got the top half attached to the base and am now working on detailing the interior.

Finally, I took a wander around with a camera and took a couple of shots. As it is Sunday, there's not much traffic on the branch, so not a lot to see.

post-24685-0-33161200-1463897965_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-76026500-1463897985_thumb.jpg

I managed to clamber up a tree behind the loco shed with the hopes of getting a shot of a train. Could be up there a long time...

post-24685-0-05421800-1463897976_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 10

I like the first of the last two photos. I think it's the fact that part of the tree on the right is over the lower back end of the pannier. Although it does look as if a bush rather than smoke has just come out of the chimney

I agree, but being a little critical (not really as I'm sympathetic) it appears the train is running past its signal.

(Don't worry Les, I know how hard it is when concentrating on making the shot how easy it is for matters like this to occur.)

Edited by john flann

I like the first of the last two photos. I think it's the fact that part of the tree on the right is over the lower back end of the pannier. Although it does look as if a bush rather than smoke has just come out of the chimney

Thanks Alan.

I never noticed that bush, but now every time I look at that picture I see foliage coming out of the panniers chimney like some flower pot!

Cheers, Les

I agree, but being a little critical (not really as I'm sympathetic) it appears the train is running past its signal.

(Don't worry Les, I know how hard it is when concentrating on making the shot how easy it is for matters like this to occur.)

Hi John,

I was expecting someone to mention the signal.

It does operate, but isn't connected, so I would have had to reach under the layout to pull the lever with my finger. I have done this in some earlier photos. In this case I just couldn't quite contort myself to do this while taking the picture.

Cheers,

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mr Flann is very observant.

I on the other hand was trying to figure how you got down from the tree and past the water tower in time to take the second photo.

• Like 1

Mr Flann is very observant.

I on the other hand was trying to figure how you got down from the tree and past the water tower in time to take the second photo.

Here's how.......

post-24685-0-93248300-1464416842_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

Edited by Dbr1295
  • Like 9

Hi all,

A picture showing where we are at with the station building. Walls painted, and ready to add the roof & canopy. The walls were first painted with grey primer using a spray can. The stonework was then painted with Humbrol light stone and the odd individual stone was picked out with Humbrol washes.

Slowly progressing.

post-24685-0-52617400-1464509256_thumb.jpg

A couple of pictures of 2260 on a goods working, arriving and  shunting the yard.

post-24685-0-42692300-1464509270_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-18583900-1464509280_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

A couple of photos of what's been happening the past week. Not a lot, but we are moving forward. Still working on the station building; doors and windows now fixed in place, annex roof fitted and flashing done. Also starting on the station forecourt and entrance to the goods yard.

View  of the planned road behind the station into the goods yard. The house is just temporary as an experiment.

post-24685-0-78000200-1465711117_thumb.jpg

Close up of the station doors. Construction outlined in an earlier post. Door knobs are Ø0.8 brass wire filed and polished to shape.

post-24685-0-28255200-1465711127_thumb.jpg

The 2 bolts are just temporary to enable me to take the false roof out when working on the structure.

Finally, 5328 having just brought a goods in at rest at the buffer stops.

post-24685-0-57934200-1465712022_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 9

Hello all,

5328 brings in a goods train, leaving the wagons on the main as she runs around.

post-24685-0-25249000-1465806182_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-89840600-1465806192_thumb.jpg

These wagons are all about 20 to 25 years old, the product of Messer's Bachmann and Dapol. They look a bit chunky, especially in the undergrubbings region, compared to later models, and maybe one day I might replace them. I have considered using kits from the likes of Parkside, but there's approx. 40 to 50 NZR 3/16" kits already out in the train room that I really should get onto first. This was supposed to be just a side project, but it's started to get a bit more than that!

Cheers, Les

post-24685-0-25249000-1465806182_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-89840600-1465806192_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Not a bad effort for a side project!

Fantastic work on the station building - it looks great.

Enjoying following your progress - your photo's are also well thought out and executed.

regards,

James

Hi,

Not a bad effort for a side project!

Fantastic work on the station building - it looks great.

Enjoying following your progress - your photo's are also well thought out and executed.

regards,

James

Thank you James. This little layout has sort of become my main project of late, whilst the other layout has gone on the backburner.... Photographing the layout is another part of this wide hobby I am enjoying. I think it, as well as posting on here, is also helping me to improve as a modeler. Pictures viewed on a computer monitor certainly show up any untidy or unfinished work!

Cheers, Les

Some more photos from the weekend. This time of 7754 departing Wydgate on a mixed train.

post-24685-0-88369600-1465892510_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-51324000-1465892529_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-90931700-1465892519_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this isn't an indication of a decline in traffic on the branch.

Cheers, Les

• Like 9

Hi Les,

Lovely updates on here. The station building is coming on a treat. Very impressive and will look wonderful when completed!

The weathering on the 43xx and the wagons is superb. Plenty of atmosphere and detail here. 43xx is looking like a right little medium sized workhorse.

Keep up the super work and enjoy your photography with the layout.

Cheers,

Chris

Hi les from Madrid in Spain. Part way through the European holiday. Will be in uk next week. Keeping up with your wonderful work on layout via smartphone. Nice work and deserved comments.regards Andy R

hello Les

Like John Flann (and a few others) I like the style of this layout. In particular the composition is quite simple with a nice blend of kit and scratch built structures

that help to make it different, but also because the scenery/backscene is restrained and not overdone. The trains are centre stage, which I think  is important-even if some think that this makes me  a 'toy train man'.

I suspect the use of some of the older models brought back sweet memories for RMweb members when the world seemed simpler and cheaper too! Those Collett coaches look sweet though!!

• RMweb Gold

Just been catching up. Great photos. I like the different ground textures in the yard and around the station, some inspiring effects, I think.

Those door knobs on the station building are a great touch  :)

Edited by Mikkel