Somewhere out west

Dbr1295

• 2 weeks later...

What were the station staff talking about?

I would like to say they are discussing the developing crisis over the Suez canal, but most likely it will concern a game of darts and a few pints at the local hostelry, "The Wyd Ass'.

Cheers, Les

• Like 1

Hi Les,

This is a beautiful layout - I have really enjoyed catching up with it this morning over a cup of tea! Keep up the good work!

All the best,

Castle

Thank you very much for the kind comments Castle.

Cheers, Les

Hi All,

Trying to be clever with the camera. View into the cab of 7754 taken through the goods shed.

attachicon.gif_MG_7146 (2).jpg

attachicon.gif_MG_7156 (2).jpg

Cheers,

Les

Les- thats not being clever thats being inspirational; look at the rust crepping into the metal around the cab, and a few weeds growing in the shed gutters...love these observations applied sparingly but there nevertheless. One suggestion (not a criticism) is that the platform face looks a little clean and not weathered with years of train grime...is that one thing to think about?.

regards Andy R

Les- thats not being clever thats being inspirational; look at the rust crepping into the metal around the cab, and a few weeds growing in the shed gutters...love these observations applied sparingly but there nevertheless. One suggestion (not a criticism) is that the platform face looks a little clean and not weathered with years of train grime...is that one thing to think about?.

regards Andy R

Thanks Andy.

No criticism, you are absolutely right. I've still to weather the platform and the track along side. One of the many jobs on the to do list.

What stands out for me of the close up of the driver is the standard of the Monty's figure. The detail is brilliant.

Cheers, Les

Passenger service passing the loco shed behind a regular branch engine, no. 4573.

attachicon.gif_MG_7111 (2).jpg

attachicon.gif_MG_7115 (2).jpg

Not sure about the pine tree....

Cheers, Les

Nice pictures and I agree about the pine tree.

My feeling is that the foliage is to short and clumpy, rather it should be longer, perhaps slightly curved up and thinner.

• 1 month later...

Les - this is well worth exhibiting at Hamilton show -  have you ever thought of doing that?

regards Andy R

Hi Andy, Wasn't sure if I should rate this post as funny or thanks. I rated thanks as I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement. Haven't posted, nor worked on the layout, for some time now. Other things keep getting in the way. 

Hope you're keeping well.

Cheers, Les

As mentioned, not much done on the layout of late. Might as well share some more pictures taken last time I had the camera out

Same train arriving in the platform.

post-24685-0-97362200-1521939278_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-36698200-1521939250_thumb.jpg

Note for Kevin - Pine tree's now felled - made into cheap furniture. Miraculously another tree appeared in it's place overnight.

Cheers, Les

• Like 14

As mentioned, not much done on the layout of late. Might as well share some more pictures taken last time I had the camera out

Same train arriving in the platform.

attachicon.gif_MG_7147 (2).jpg

attachicon.gif_MG_7120 (2).jpg

Note for Kevin - Pine tree's now felled - made into cheap furniture. Miraculously another tree appeared in it's place overnight.

Cheers, Les

Great photos Les - and I was seriously suggesting exhibiting at Hamilton show with the layout looking really good. But, if you dont like the idea fair enough- the layout is still looking magic.

Im finishing cruise ships for another year and many other things to do. Working on some buildings for our O gauge Lymbridge extension (a slow project for us co-owners), and a new Tauranga MRC club exhibition layout which I have designed and is under baseboard construction as we speak. Its rather large though and hopefully we can get it running but not fully finished by next January Tauranga show. Its a little different from most exhibition layouts in NZ.

regards Andy R

Pictures look good.

Is that the new tree in the distance by the signal box on the last picture.......?

Thanks,

No thats still the pine, these are old pics. Actually looking at it, it resembles an old Macrocapa tree behind our place.

Haven't had a chance to take photo's with the new tree in place.

Cheers, Les

Great photos Les - and I was seriously suggesting exhibiting at Hamilton show with the layout looking really good. But, if you dont like the idea fair enough- the layout is still looking magic.

Im finishing cruise ships for another year and many other things to do. Working on some buildings for our O gauge Lymbridge extension (a slow project for us co-owners), and a new Tauranga MRC club exhibition layout which I have designed and is under baseboard construction as we speak. Its rather large though and hopefully we can get it running but not fully finished by next January Tauranga show. Its a little different from most exhibition layouts in NZ.

regards Andy R

Thanks Andy,

I'm intrigued by your new project. Can you tell be more about it?

Cheers, Les

Hello all,

Shot of 2260 drifting by this morning with a train of loaded mineral wagons.

post-24685-0-72061100-1522356873_thumb.jpg

In the background is the tree that replaced the pine. This is one of my earlier efforts using Woodland Scenics armatures. It's a nice size but not 100% convinced, probably will be replaced at some time by a later effort.

Cheers, Les

• Like 7

Hello,

Latest little project - tarpaulin covered load in an open wagon. 

post-24685-0-08571400-1522385528_thumb.jpg

Nothing unusual in the making of this. Load is just a piece of MDF cut to shape, glued to a piece of card just slightly smaller than the wagon internal dimensions. This enables it to be taken out if required. The tarpaulin is tissue paper painted with Tamiya Nato black from a rattle can. A close substitute for the late lamented Floquil grimy black.  Rope is painted cotton.

Cheers,

Les

• Like 7

Hi Les

My first visit here and the first of many I hope.

I like the colours of the buildings and the scenics and it does have the look of a quiet rural location until the train arrives causing a burst of activity until settling back into silence.

A very enjoyable visit.

I'm glad you replaced that tree, a great improvement.

Jim

Much more convincing with a load. The tissue paper has worked surprisingly well, do you think it will survive? I'd worry it will fall apart.

Good question, it seemed robust enough after painting. I might give it a coat of matt varnish to be sure.

Hi Les

My first visit here and the first of many I hope.

I like the colours of the buildings and the scenics and it does have the look of a quiet rural location until the train arrives causing a burst of activity until settling back into silence.

A very enjoyable visit.

I'm glad you replaced that tree, a great improvement.

Jim

Thanks Jim,

I've been following your Hemyock layout thread, it is a truly beautiful piece of work.

The quiet branch with the very occasional train is what I've been trying to capture, so I'm pleased that impression has come across to others.

Cheers, Les