Somewhere out west

Dbr1295

Hello Les,

I haven't commented upon this superb layout but as many before me have stated its lovely in its simplicity to my eyes.

You have definitely captured the GWestern-ness ( is that a word ? LOL ) in a small space and I've found it very inspiring.

Please keep posting.

Grahame

Not been in for a while, hence the rather large raft of LIKES for some really amazing pics Les, this is a cracking layout, and some superb photography as well.

Thanks Andy. Always appreciate your generous comments.

Cheers, Les

• Like 1

Hello Les,

I haven't commented upon this superb layout but as many before me have stated its lovely in its simplicity to my eyes.

You have definitely captured the GWestern-ness ( is that a word ? LOL ) in a small space and I've found it very inspiring.

Please keep posting.

Grahame

Thanks for the feedback Grahame.

It's taken me a long time to learn it, but I think for me simplicity is the key, especially in a small space.

Cheers, Les

• Like 1

Hey Les- great to see you still modelling and wonderful photos again. Atmosphere... that's what your layout has in spades mate.

See you at Hamilton Gardens in late October. We head to uk for older sons wedding early November.

Slowly working on new hawkinsfield terminus- awaiting parcel from uk of new track making components now.

Regards Andy R

• Like 1

Hey Les- great to see you still modelling and wonderful photos again. Atmosphere... that's what your layout has in spades mate.

See you at Hamilton Gardens in late October. We head to uk for older sons wedding early November.

Slowly working on new hawkinsfield terminus- awaiting parcel from uk of new track making components now.

Regards Andy R

Hi Andy, thanks for the comment about atmosphere. Being over here and never been to the west of England in the 1950's, it's kind of nice if you and others think I've captured that. Inspiration being mainly  from pictures in books and magazines. The book I referenced most has been one called Great Western Branch Line Album by Ian Krause, which I picked up in a second book shop in Hamilton. It's got some great photos that have influenced me hugely in what I'm trying to achieve.

Still lots to do though, certainly I think I need more plant and tree growth, it looks a little bit too manicured at the moment.

Will see you the Hamilton show, are you exhibiting?

Cheers, Les

Finally the last photos from last weekends shoot.

7754 is seen departing Wydgate with its solitary coach, and no passengers. Hopefully there will be some passengers further along the branch, otherwise it wasn't worth the crew getting out of bed so early.

post-24685-0-05071200-1504994413_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-56998900-1504994441_thumb.jpg

And this is what it would have looked like if we could have had access to a drone in 1955.

post-24685-0-00607800-1504994384_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 16

Hi Andy, thanks for the comment about atmosphere. Being over here and never been to the west of England in the 1950's, it's kind of nice if you and others think I've captured that. Inspiration being mainly  from pictures in books and magazines. The book I referenced most has been one called Great Western Branch Line Album by Ian Krause, which I picked up in a second book shop in Hamilton. It's got some great photos that have influenced me hugely in what I'm trying to achieve.

Still lots to do though, certainly I think I need more plant and tree growth, it looks a little bit too manicured at the moment.

Will see you the Hamilton show, are you exhibiting?

Cheers, Les

Hi Les- re Hamilton no invite for my BLT Dymstock, but likely to be helping on the o gauge as usual. See you one of the days no doubt.

regards Andy R

• 3 weeks later...

Like this layout a lot as it has plenty of atmosphere of the bygone days of steam (with a diesel thrown in!) and sometimes tranquility of a branch line scene.

Pictures are great and capture the feel of the era to perfection.

Keep on posting.

Like this layout a lot as it has plenty of atmosphere of the bygone days of steam (with a diesel thrown in!) and sometimes tranquility of a branch line scene.

Pictures are great and capture the feel of the era to perfection.

Keep on posting.

Thanks Kevin,

Very kind words. My goal is to achieve the look of a branch towards the end of its time, with life just plodding along until the axe falls. It makes me happy if hopefully people get that impression from the pictures of the layout.

Cheers, Les

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Went into the train room yesterday with the intention of doing some work, but ended up playing trains and taking photos.

For those that are interested, here is a picture of the traverser. Pretty straight forward, a sheet of MDF running in some aluminum angle. Some floor vinyl has been fixed to the bottom to give it some slide.

Alignment is achieved by brass tube soldered to one rail with a sliding pin to securely locate.

One rail has power connected, and the electrical connection to the other is when the location pin is in place.

Very agricultural but simple and reliable.

There's a sheet of MDF fixed to the underneath of the framework and this acts as a shelf to store stock on. The traverser travels over top.

post-24685-0-22005200-1508819756_thumb.jpg

A view down the lane. Not much has changed since we last looked down here, still filling the pot holes.

post-24685-0-52535000-1508819717_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Just been catching up Les. I'm really impressed with these scenes, there's a very real sense of rural calm and yet it never tips over into a parody. Superb use of figures too, they really set the scene. The cream and grey colours bring it all together. Even the lone passenger is colour coordinated! Brilliant.

• Like 1

Just been catching up Les. I'm really impressed with these scenes, there's a very real sense of rural calm and yet it never tips over into a parody. Superb use of figures too, they really set the scene. The cream and grey colours bring it all together. Even the lone passenger is colour coordinated! Brilliant.

Thanks Mikkel,

I think you give me a little too much credit though. No thought was given to the colour of the passenger apart from what I thought would be worn at that period!

I do admit though, that I prefer to use varying shades of limited colours, especially within the railway boundary. Plus I try to avoid too many bright colours.

Cheers, Les

• Like 1

Hi All,

A few pictures of 5819 shunting the wagons from its train and making up the outbound service.

post-24685-0-77159900-1508912993_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-13047800-1508913029_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-97850100-1508913061_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-43858900-1508913094_thumb.jpg

Those who are sharp eyed may notice that the signal box now has a roof, though it still has to be completed and painted. I finally got around to finishing the interior. I fabricated up a lever frame, furniture, tablet machines etc from bits of plastic. It doesn't stand up to close observation, but viewed in the gloom through the windows doesn't look too bad.

Cheers, Les

• Like 17

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Haven't posted on here for a while, basically because I've done nothing new on the layout. I have been doing some modelling, but in NZ railways Sn3 1/2.

Anyhow, I was doing some experimenting with various settings on the camera (white balance and various ISO settings sort of thing) and thought I'd share one of the images captured.

post-24685-0-13943500-1516087578_thumb.jpg

Hope you like.

Cheers, Les

• Like 11

Hi All,

Haven't posted on here for a while, basically because I've done nothing new on the layout. I have been doing some modelling, but in NZ railways Sn3 1/2.

Anyhow, I was doing some experimenting with various settings on the camera (white balance and various ISO settings sort of thing) and thought I'd share one of the images captured.

_MG_6924 (3).jpg

Hope you like.

Cheers, Les