Somewhere out west

Dbr1295

hello Les

Like John Flann (and a few others) I like the style of this layout. In particular the composition is quite simple with a nice blend of kit and scratch built structures

that help to make it different, but also because the scenery/backscene is restrained and not overdone. The trains are centre stage, which I think  is important-even if some think that this makes me  a 'toy train man'.

I suspect the use of some of the older models brought back sweet memories for RMweb members when the world seemed simpler and cheaper too! Those Collett coaches look sweet though!!

Thanks Paul. I think the trick with small layouts especially, is to keep them simple and not too cluttered. I think I've mentioned before on here that I use smaller buildings to give the impression of more space.

Cheers, Les

Just been catching up. Great photos. I like the different ground textures in the yard and around the station, some inspiring effects, I think.

Those door knobs on the station building are a great touch  :)

Thanks Mikkel. The work you've been doing on you Farthing layouts is very impressive.

As you say there is different ground covers. The ballast is Woodland Scenics medium on the "main" lines and fine on the sidings. The cess along the track and the ground around the loco shed/water tank is ash. The road is fine sifted sand ground into wet paint with my finger. The rest of it is sifted dirt and sand, sometimes a blend of the two. The sand actually comes from a corner of our section and is a nice sort of buff colour. I sifted it into a fine, which I use for ground cover and coarse which I am using for the loads in the quarry train. What's left over are a nice representation of smaller rocks.

The grass I use static grass, either Noch or Woodlands Scenics or most often a blend.

Cheers, Les

Today I needed to came up with a way to made the pickets(?) for the canopy valance on the station building. I decided on 0.4 x 2.0 styrene strip, but I needed to make approximately 90 pieces, all exactly the same length and with a 45° point at one end.

I found that my mitre box had slots in it the same width as some single sided razor blades, so I ended up knocking up a fixture using the mitre box, metal off cuts and clamps.

Pictures below will illustrate this better than I can describe. It actually worked out quite well, and I managed to produce consistent components in a reasonably short time.

The fixture

post-24685-0-88309600-1466323638_thumb.jpg

Cutting the 45°

post-24685-0-08151000-1466323629_thumb.jpg

Finished part

post-24685-0-48602300-1466323619_thumb.jpg

Hopefully someone else may find this useful.

Cheers, Les

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

What been happening out west lately? Not too much actually. But some jobs have been tackled. 

Firstly, finally got gutters and down pipes and doors on the engine shed. Guttering was done with 1/2 round and downpipes with round Evergreen styrene. Downpipes fixed to walls with fine copper wire from electrical cable. Doors fabricated from styrene strip.

post-24685-0-90319700-1469243035_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-22862500-1469243026_thumb.jpg

The shed still has to be bedded down into the ground.

Some grass added to the end of the goods shed siding, and the approach road to the yard started. Still needs some weeds etc to make it look more scrubby.

post-24685-0-74324400-1469243045_thumb.jpg

The road was first painted light grey, then fine, almost dust like, sand sprinkled on. The sand was made form already sifted fine sand sifted again through material from an old shirt so it was almost talc like in consistency.

Downpipes added to the warehouse building and it was weathered using powders.

post-24685-0-41419800-1469243055_thumb.jpg

Lastly, a picture of the station building canopy under construction. Again this was made from styrene strip and sheet. My previous post shows how I made the parts for the valance.

post-24685-0-09357400-1469243065_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

What been happening out west lately? Not too much actually. But some jobs have been tackled. 

Firstly, finally got gutters and down pipes and doors on the engine shed. Guttering was done with 1/2 round and downpipes with round Evergreen styrene. Downpipes fixed to walls with fine copper wire from electrical cable. Doors fabricated from styrene strip.

attachicon.gifIMG_6075 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6074 (2).jpg

The shed still has to be bedded down into the ground.

Some grass added to the end of the goods shed siding, and the approach road to the yard started. Still needs some weeds etc to make it look more scrubby.

attachicon.gifIMG_6076 (2).jpg

The road was first painted light grey, then fine, almost dust like, sand sprinkled on. The sand was made form already sifted fine sand sifted again through material from an old shirt so it was almost talc like in consistency.

Downpipes added to the warehouse building and it was weathered using powders.

attachicon.gifIMG_6080 (2).jpg

Lastly, a picture of the station building canopy under construction. Again this was made from styrene strip and sheet. My previous post shows how I made the parts for the valance.

attachicon.gifIMG_6082 (2).jpg

Cheers, Les

Hi Les- nice to catch up with your latest work on a cold, wet and wintery day here in NZ. Looking very good as ever.

We are back from overseas and you may have noted in passing my quick comment about the wonderful operating day at Buckingham. I will copy a PM I sent to John Flann on this experience and send to you if you were interested. Operating such a splendid layout makes one pause and think about what one is trying to achieve, but that thinking for another day I reckon.

Keep up the splendid work.

regards, Andy R

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

It's been a very long tome since I've posted on this thread and not a lot of modelling has been done in the time.

I have recently done a little bit of work on the layout, doing the scrub and undergrowth, trees etc at the end of the back siding and a little bit more on the station building, mainly the roof.

Here are a couple of photos showing my latest efforts.

View down the road to the goods yard

post-24685-0-09675500-1477262729_thumb.jpg

View across to the end of the siding. Compared to the view in the prior post I think this is an improvement.

post-24685-0-41778300-1477262738_thumb.jpg

Finally, a picture of 7754 as she draws to a halt at the station with a passenger train. Tiles are on the roof, still to do the ridge tiles and flashing around the chimney's. I had to carve away along the top of the front wall to enable the canopy to sit flat, this will be hidden once the canopy's on.

post-24685-0-18625900-1477262747_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 18

Hi All,

Here's a picture of the station building showing progress to date, albeit rather slow.

The roof is fully tiled now. The tiles were made from black drawing paper, 0.2mm thick. I first painted one side all over dark slate grey, once dry then added patches of various other shades of grey, feathering these out until there was practically no paint on the brush. Using a sharp blade I cut this up into 3mm wide strips. To ensure that the tiles were cut pretty much to the same length I knocked up a jig from offcuts of plastic. To cut the tiles I used a blade with a curved profile in a rolling, chopping motion. This I found gave a cleaner cut. Using black paper ensured that the edges didn't need painting.

Once all cut I put them in a small jar and gave it a shake, and this made sure that I was able to achieve a fairly random effect when I attached them.

The decorative ridge tiles caused me more of a problem, I did a quick search on the internet and found various etched brass options, but me being a bit tight thought I'd have a go at making my own. Didn't turn out as neat as I would have liked and certainly not as good as if I'd used an etched option. But not too bad.

For my first attempt I tried thin styrene strip, drilling the holes and trying to carve the profile - this didn't work.

I ended up using 0.2mm paper again, drew them up using Word on the PC, then made a mirror image along the top. Printed it off and folded it in half, then folded the tile bits out to give the desired profile. For the small holes I found a use for those broken drill bits I never throw away. What I did is hold the shank from a broken drill in a pair of small pliers, use grooved jaws as this will stop the bit from twisting, lined it up over the position of the hole and tapped it with a hammer. Make sure the end is flat with sharp edges and I had an old cutting mat underneath. It actually punched out a nice neat hole. Wear eye protection as the drill can break. I then used a sharp blade to chop rather than cut around the curved profile. Cut them to length, painted them and then attached them.

post-24685-0-87011400-1477637829_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 10

Hi all,

Some Sunday afternoon photos.

The guys unloading the coal wagon must be a bit camera shy, or disappeared for lunch. Not sure why they would be working on the Sabbath though.

post-24685-0-76822300-1478406509_thumb.jpg

Pannier tank 7754 taking water and preparing for a trip up the branch.

post-24685-0-74862000-1478406546_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-07289600-1478406519_thumb.jpg

7754 eventually departs with a very short, and not very profitable, goods train.

post-24685-0-89254200-1478406537_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-54298100-1478406528_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 14

• 1 month later...

Happy new year all.

Not a lot has been happening out in the west of late and here's a couple of pictures to illustrate the state of inactivity.

post-24685-0-17757800-1483428305_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-97581700-1483428312_thumb.jpg

As can be seen, the station building has finally acquired a canopy and guttering.

Chimney pots and down pipes and other details still to do.

The next picture shows a mock up of my thinking for the space behind the station approach. The idea is for a small rundown workshop or other form of shedding (not a "station garage"!) in amongst trees and scrub.

post-24685-0-60479300-1483428948_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekends projects. 2 weathered Bachmann wagons.

With the open, I highlighted the joins in the planking with India ink. Then the wagon was giving a wash of Humbrol Dust. After which I applied powders, predominately earth brown, as well as a little rust mixed in.

The van also was giving an all over wash of dust. On the underframes I used predominantly earth brown again with a little rust. On the body & roof I use the brown again and some sooty black.

Then some detail was picked out with dry brushing a little leather and gun metal in places. A dap of oil wash was put on the axle boxes to simulate grease.

Wheels were dusted with the earth brown powder. Afterwards I sprayed them with a matt varnish, as well as fixing the powders I find this help tone down the colours.

The open was given a load of stones. I think I've described in an earlier post how I do this.

post-24685-0-44042200-1484284129_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 9

Hi All,

I thought I would share this picture with you as it shows close to 3/4's of the layout, so it will give some idea of how it's all laid out and of the state of construction.

Along the back of the layout is fairly well coming along but there's still work to be done along the front. And the signal box needs finishing. I started this ages ago, but just can't seem to get enthused into finishing it. Currently doing the interior. Also, I need to complete the platform surface. I just haven't been able to come up with a way that I'm happy with. The texture is either too smooth (and paint like) or too coarse, I just can't seem to find a happy medium. And I've yet to be able to create a colour I'm happy with. I will continue my experimenting.

post-24685-0-72682000-1484370452_thumb.jpg

Finally, a picture of the same train passing the loco shed on its journey up the branch.

post-24685-0-42208800-1484370462_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 14

Hi All,

I thought I would share this picture with you as it shows close to 3/4's of the layout, so it will give some idea of how it's all laid out and of the state of construction.

Along the back of the layout is fairly well coming along but there's still work to be done along the front. And the signal box needs finishing. I started this ages ago, but just can't seem to get enthused into finishing it. Currently doing the interior. Also, I need to complete the platform surface. I just haven't been able to come up with a way that I'm happy with. The texture is either too smooth (and paint like) or too coarse, I just can't seem to find a happy medium. And I've yet to be able to create a colour I'm happy with. I will continue my experimenting.

attachicon.gifIMG_6231 (2).jpg

Finally, a picture of the same train passing the loco shed on its journey up the branch.

attachicon.gifIMG_6233 (2).jpg

Cheers, Les

Hi Les- and happy new year to you. Everything you are doing on this layout continues to impress- look at the many likes from some really good modellers on the RMWeb.

Our small, local Tauranga show has been and gone at Mount College and now I am thinking ahead with my small GWR BLT likely to be going to Morrinsville show early April (8/9 from memory). Hope we can see you there.

Also, just to renew my open invitation to pop into Hawkinsfield any time you have time in Tauranga. Not much work done on Hawkinsfield with xmas, new year and the full on cruise ship tours over summer. A little bit of work done on revamping scenery on a small N gauge layout in the Clubrooms slowly to improve its look and maybe get up to exhibition standard for future.

So, catch up hopefully soon.

reagrds Andy R

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Here are some photos of the quarry train now fully weathered and all wagons with loads.

Weathering was carried out using a various methods using the basic ingredients - washes, powders & chalks, artists oils, dry brushing and details picked out with enamel paints.

At the moment there will just be the 5 wagons, but I may do another to add some occasional variation.

post-24685-0-69488400-1486345352_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-28540400-1486345362_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-00485500-1486345372_thumb.jpg

Of the wagons jut above, the 16T was done by the following method;

The underframe was given a wash of Humbrol sand.

Rust spots are burnt sienna and burnt umber artists oils applied with a tooth pick, with the ends cut off at different points to get variation in width.

The burnt sienna is applied first, then the darker burnt umber in the centre.

Chains and latches were dry brushed Humbrol leather.

When dry the body was given a wash of Humbrol dust and this was gently wiped off with a tissue.

The under frame was dusted down with dark earth powder with touches of rust blended in. The body also was giving a dusting of the dark earth powders, starting at the top and dragging down.

The axle boxes and buffer faces were touched with a mix of oil stain wash and powder to represent grease.

The 7 plank wagon I first high lighted the gaps in the planking with india ink. Rivet/bolt heads and the chains were picked out with Humbrol leather.

The body and underframe were then given a wash of sand. On the body this was toned down by a gentle rub with cotton buds.

Then the underframe and body iron work was dusted down with the dark earth powders. Rust powders were streaked down from the metal work on the body.

The whole wagon was then given a dust down with light dusty coloured chalks. Grease applied as per the 16T.

The wheels are painted Humbrol chocolate brown and dusted with the dark earth powders.

Once done I wafted over a coat of matt varnish to seal everything down and tone down the brighter colours a little bit.

post-24685-0-76081700-1486346219_thumb.jpg

In the picture below the corrosion along the bottom of the oxide 16T was down using the artist oils dabbed on with a tooth pick

post-24685-0-24366600-1486345381_thumb.jpg

The wagon loads I described before - a small block of wood with card cut to the size of the wagon interior glued to it, painted black, and "stones" from sifted sand. The stones are "poured" in to acquire the hump from loading.

Cheers,

Les

• Like 7

Wonderful to see you back in the groove Les: a weathering lesson for those of us reluctant to ' jump ' into that space without courage.

Love the station building too- truely a nice piece of individual modelling.

Catch you maybe at Morrinsville in early April?

Andy R

Wonderful to see you back in the groove Les: a weathering lesson for those of us reluctant to ' jump ' into that space without courage.

Love the station building too- truely a nice piece of individual modelling.

Catch you maybe at Morrinsville in early April?

Andy R

Thanks for the generous words Andy.

Definitely will be at Morrinsville, are you exhibiting?

Progress on the layout has been a little slow of late as I have digressed slightly.... 

post-24685-0-06974500-1486449106_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 2

Les. The word is that my little BLT Dymstock will be asked but haven't heard officially. If so then its three days... groan)

Maybe join me for a little time operating?

Regards Andy R

Ha ha, maybe....

Is it still analogue?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Some pictures of 5819 bringing in the daily goods train.

First picture 5819 brings the train to a halt at the home signal.

post-24685-0-78663200-1488005994_thumb.jpg

Signalman pulls the lever to clear (actually Les gropes awkwardly under the baseboard to move the little lever at the same time as taking the photo) and the train begins to move forward into the loop.

post-24685-0-39907900-1488006004_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-32146300-1488006013_thumb.jpg

The train passes the loco shed and draws to a halt in the loop.

post-24685-0-94543100-1488006022_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-67119100-1488006031_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-85628700-1488006040_thumb.jpg

As you can see I have  acquired one of the Hatton 58xx's.

There has been a lot of negative comments about this model in the dedicated thread. And I began to get a little nervous as I waited for my one.

My thoughts so far?

It's a loco that I believe I require to run on the type to branch my layout is attempting to represent. I do already have the Airfix 14xx but I don't use it as it runs like a 3 legged dog.

This model has some nice finely moulded details on it. Some comments have been made about the recessed number plate and lack of ashpan and yes these are noticeable. Though the number plate is no worse then printed ones on other models and with my eyes it doesn't worry me and I can easily fabricate the ashpan. Another criticism is about the oversize wheels. For my needs this doesn't matter and I can't see it. So visibly, to my in-expert eyes it looks pretty much like what I have seen in photos in books.

As for running qualities, once a lubed it as per instructions and ran it up  and down for near on half an hour, it does run ok, though my recent Bachmann models do run better.

However, it does show up all the deficiencies in my near on 20 year old track work, which other models seem to be more forgiving with.

Summing up it's a model which looks good and to my eyes looks the part. It runs OK and is a loco which I think has been missing from my stud.

For $155NZ and 6 days from Liverpool to Ngahinapouri I'm not complaining.

Cheers, Les

Oh, and I did have to line up the sandpipes with the wheels.

• Like 14

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Les,

Looking good as always! I have 5819 as well and I have to agree with you on all points. A cracking locomotive and does require a generous amount of time running in. I purchased two DJ Models 14xx, the other was 1470. Again, at first it was a bit lumpy running but, rest assured, some weeks later after spending time on the rollers and running in on the layout too each day on passenger duties, it now runs lovely. It looks even better with all the detailing on and crew fitted too! :)

Keep the updates coming and superb work in progress as always.

All the best,

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Latest bit of work done is the coaling stage for the small loco depot. This is based on a photo I found on the web by doing a search on GWR coal stages, I guesstimated the sizes based on the picture and made it pretty much the same but about 25% shorter. The picture only showed the trackside so the back was bit of a guess.

Construction is from wooden ice block sticks cut into planks with a razor blade, and glued together with PVA. The metal strapping is from thick paper/thin card with bolt heads punched in with an old set of dividers. The whole lot was stained with dark oak and the strapping painted leather.

Coal from Woodland Scenics added and weathered with black powders.

I've also had to perform surgery on the platform top to narrow it by 1mm. When I fitted it I tried to make the gap between platform and stock as small as possible, I checked that there was enough clearance for all stock I was planning to run on the layout. Unfortunately I had since purchased a Dukedog, and the coupling rods on this didn't clear the platform overhang. I didn't want to undo all the work I had done with the platform edging, so the only remedy was to remove the top and slice it up the centre and remove the mm.

Anyhow, here's some pics.

post-24685-0-91972300-1491024495_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-84550500-1491024505_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-27246800-1491024516_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 6