Somewhere out west

Dbr1295

• RMweb Gold

Really nice work Les, not least the metal strapping. You comment about not having a photo of the back of the coaling stage triggered my curiosity, so I had lookthrough my books. Couldn't find a single photo showing the back of one. Perhaps not so strange, it can't have been the most interesting subject for a photo. These days, I suppose it would correspond to taking photos of the rear of bus shelters  :)

For sure Andy.

Will you have Stackton Magna on display?

Hi Les- yes I will have the little BLT- set up Friday and two days of playing in front of public...will I still be sane at the end?

C u sometime over weekend I hope

Regards Andy R

Following on from last Sundays pics of the auto train, here's some photos of 5819 following it with the branch goods.

attachicon.gifIMG_6410 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6417 (3).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6421 (2).jpg

Cheers, Les

great stuff again Les.

And thanks for your help last Saturday. Hope you enjoyed the fun.

Time to get into upgrading those kadees!

regards Andy R

great stuff again Les.

And thanks for your help last Saturday. Hope you enjoyed the fun.

Time to get into upgrading those kadees!

regards Andy R

Thanks Andy.

Great day on Saturday. No worries with the help, enjoyed myself.

Apart from a few hick-ups, the layout ran really well. Very impressed how smoothly it ran.

The Kadees certainly got me thinking. Not sure with the current project, but maybe something in the future...

Not too wet over there I hope.

Cheers, Les

Following on from last Sundays pics of the auto train, here's some photos of 5819 following it with the branch goods.

attachicon.gifIMG_6410 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6417 (3).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6421 (2).jpg

Cheers, Les

Hey Les -how have you made the fence posts? They look really good.

About to depart for the south island road trip for a month. Will catch up on RM forum end of May. I have drawn up the proposed new terminus we talked about at the show full size on a length of paper and with a few tweaks it seems to work out ok -all within 12 inch width of baseboard. Just have to draw out the possible train (Peter Denny type) storage yard for the centre of the layout room. Hope that works as that is central to the concept working.

regards Andy R

Hey Les -how have you made the fence posts? They look really good.

About to depart for the south island road trip for a month. Will catch up on RM forum end of May. I have drawn up the proposed new terminus we talked about at the show full size on a length of paper and with a few tweaks it seems to work out ok -all within 12 inch width of baseboard. Just have to draw out the possible train (Peter Denny type) storage yard for the centre of the layout room. Hope that works as that is central to the concept working.

regards Andy R

Andy,

The posts are Ratio and some scratch built. The strainers are from tooth picks.

I painted the Ratio posts with greys and browns almost in a dry  brush manner. I use a stiff brush which gives the wood grain effect.

The posts along side the loco shed are the ones I made myself when I ran short of the ratio ones. They're made from "matchsticks" as sold for crafting in the Warehouse I think, or a $2 store.

I just made exact copies of the Ratio posts using a razor saw and mitre box with a stop in it to do the grooves for the strands. This ensured that they were consistent, though I wasn't very consistent in lining up the wire in the grooves all the time. I put a couple of coats of stain on them to colour them. The problem I had, was that the wood used to make these was rubbish, splintered and broke easily, and not many were straight or even had a square section. I've now got more Ratio ones on order to finish off. If I make more I would need to use a better quality wood or plastic strip.

I used Ezy-line to represent the wire strands, and this is brilliant. I found someone on Trade Me who was selling it. Glues well with super glue and is pretty hardy when you stretch it. I originally tried thin wire and cotton and these just wouldn't stick to the posts at all well. I even tried melting the wire into the posts with a soldering iron. I did a short section using wire by the over bridge, and this doesn't look too good as the wire's not taunt enough.

Looking forward to seeing how the new concept works out. Enjoy the SI trip.

Cheers, Les

Hi All,

Wet weekend over here, so a productive time was spent in the train room.

2 packets of Ratio fence posts painted and platform top painted. Finally found a colour I'm happy with, Tamiya neutral grey. Gives a nice asphalt colour. Possibly could do with another coat and needs to be weathered.

Here's a couple of pics with 9028 on a passenger train.

post-24685-0-28112200-1493530835_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-68344000-1493531496_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-65860600-1493530868_thumb.jpg

And here's a pic showing practically the entire layout. Slowly getting there. Painting the platform certainly has made a big difference.

post-24685-0-73496900-1493530894_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 19

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Wet weekend over here, so a productive time was spent in the train room.

2 packets of Ratio fence posts painted and platform top painted. Finally found a colour I'm happy with, Tamiya neutral grey. Gives a nice asphalt colour. Possibly could do with another coat and needs to be weathered.

Here's a couple of pics with 9028 on a passenger train.

attachicon.gifIMG_6489 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6490 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6505 (2).jpg

And here's a pic showing practically the entire layout. Slowly getting there. Painting the platform certainly has made a big difference.

attachicon.gifIMG_6511 (2).jpg

Cheers, Les

Hi Les- just catching up on the web relaxing in Wanaka. SI tripgoing really nicely with reasonable weather but very cold!!

We have enjoyed the travel experience and the autumn colours in the landscape are outstanding. Next to west coast then home in 1 1/2 weeks. Great photos again Les and the modelling-

Regards Andy R

Hi All,

Past few sessions in the train room have been spent wiring up the lineside fencing with Ezi-line. What a mission, but worth it as it looks much better now that the fencing is there. Still more to do along the front, but I might be short of posts to finish that.

Also spent time painting the platform fencing, which is the Ratio product. I shall share a few photos of that once it's done and in place.

Anyhow, here's a few photos to finish off the weekend.

Prairie tank 4573 shunting. Pulling an empty van from out the goods yard and into the loading bay opposite the station building, for loading with milk churns. 

post-24685-0-42220400-1495344957_thumb.jpg

Next shot is a bit interesting. While the shutter was open I was waving a lamp around to try to reduce shadows, but I think it's given a nice impression of a blackening sky and approaching rain. The tree is still to be bedded in, as I sometimes remove it while working on the scenery in this area.

post-24685-0-58604200-1495344981_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-19094800-1495345007_thumb.jpg

Finally, photo taken later in the day with 7754 wheezing its way out of the loco shed, past the water tank and coal stage.

post-24685-0-11420000-1495345033_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

What a fantastic layout, full of atmosphere. I can't believe that this started out as a stop gap layout. The quality of the modelling is top notch.

Many thanks.

The layout has certainly exceeded my expectations in that it ended up being much more  than the "quickie" I set out to make. 

Being able to share progress on RM Web has, I think, given me extra impetus and additional enjoyment creating it.

So, a big thanks to all those who read, like, comment and follow my ramblings as I build this thing!

Cheers, Les

Edited by Dbr1295
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Not much happening on the layout at the moment. A couple of more wagons weathered and some more lineside fencing has been about it. I'll be thoroughly relieved when the fencing all done, it's been driving me bonkers.

Anyhow, here's a bunch of pic's I took the other day.

post-24685-0-91630700-1499673325_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-09622400-1499673354_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-64037500-1499673382_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-33149100-1499673403_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-96473200-1499673432_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-45272800-1499673461_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-93984300-1499673479_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-77718700-1499673498_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-66389100-1499673519_thumb.jpg

In the first few photo's can be seen the newly installed Ratio platform fencing. In the foreground of the same pictures is where the new lineside fencing is going in, just a couple more strands to do.

Cheers, Les

• Like 17

10 years in the future. No passenger services, 1 goods train a week and the stone train runs twice weekly.

Stone train seen here behind D7044.

post-24685-0-01636400-1500188712_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-85245100-1500188745_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-53619000-1500188689_thumb.jpg

Not long before all services cancelled, and in another 10 years the station building is a café and the old track bed a cycle way.....

• Like 12

10 years in the future. No passenger services, 1 goods train a week and the stone train runs twice weekly.

Stone train seen here behind D7044.

attachicon.gifIMG_6603 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6607 (2).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6597 (2).jpg

Not long before all services cancelled, and in another 10 years the station building is a café and the old track bed a cycle way.....

Les- going the way of NZ Rail if this keeps going. Bring back the steam engines mister (:

regards Andy R

• 1 month later...