East Coast Main Line to Virgin Trains East Coast

So will we get the Pendolino on our side of the country,,,,

It depends on your view of the Pendolino

The IEP is almost identical, except for the tilting feature

Once the Virgin Trains East Coast livery is applied the general travelling public won't be able to tell the difference (almost similar to those that couldn't tell the difference between a Voyager and Pendolino)

I can't help thinking that those 225 sets would be better used running extra peak hours services to Peterborough and Grantham.

This goes against DfT policy, as these services are provided by other franchises (anti-competitive, but that's another discussion)

Overall the amount of intercity services departing Kings Cross will increase, thus the capacity increases, plus the frequency too

However, with no major infrastructure changes or improvements the route will be operating at capacity and any failure of the route will pretty much impact it for the remainder of the day, and most likely the next day (hmm, does that sound familiar)

If you read the eMail, does it not actually state that Virgin East Coast will be the first train company on which you can both collent and SPEND Nectar Points (at the moment you can only collect)

The East Coast Rewards Points page certainly says this

The mail does say this, though, third para:

"Customers will be able to use their Nectar points when booking a Virgin Trains East Coast Advance ticket through the Virgin Trains East Coast website, which is a first for the rail industry."

Mal

However, with no major infrastructure changes or improvements the route will be operating at capacity and any failure of the route will pretty much impact it for the remainder of the day, and most likely the next day (hmm, does that sound familiar)

But there are some major infrastructure changes happening over the next few years. The improvements to the GN&GE joint line being the main one (including a flyover at Peterborough) to get freight trains off the two track section of the ECML from south of Grantham to Doncaster.

I also suspect that the IEP trains themselves will increase line capacity, as they'll have better acceleration than the HSTs and 225 sets, due to having distributed traction motors, so are better at recovering speed from station stops and speed restrictions . The class 180 sets used by the ECML open access operators certainly seem to have much better acceleration - I remember being on a Hull Trains service a few years back that ran non-stop from Kings Cross to Grantham in 55 minutes  :O

I also suspect that the IEP trains themselves will increase line capacity, as they'll have better acceleration than the HSTs and 225 sets, due to having distributed traction motors, so are better at recovering speed from station stops and speed restrictions . The class 180 sets used by the ECML open access operators certainly seem to have much better acceleration - I remember being on a Hull Trains service a few years back that ran non-stop from Kings Cross to Grantham in 55 minutes  :O

Hi, would I be right in saying that until the signaling is vastly improved..capacity cannot be improved as it is trains per section that rules not how fast they can go....

The class 180 sets used by the ECML open access operators certainly seem to have much better acceleration - I remember being on a Hull Trains service a few years back that ran non-stop from Kings Cross to Grantham in 55 minutes  :O

Good, but still not as good as a 91+DVT. The quickest time I measured was 53 min 50 seconds (or thereabouts), pity we did not have affordable GPS back then.

• RMweb Premium

Hi, would I be right in saying that until the signaling is vastly improved..capacity cannot be improved as it is trains per section that rules not how fast they can go....

In theory the quicker a train clears a signal section, the sooner it can be occupied by another train so in one sense providing new stock capable of a better performance than current stock will provide a small increase in capacity.

However the more trains you stuff down the route the less opportunity there is to recover from / get round or get techs in to sort the issue. It's these factors which are the main reasons why train operators struggle to keep services running on time, and chucking in more services to fill what little slack remains in route capacity is asking for trouble.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I see a comment about the GN/GE flyover in Peterborough. Well the local MP is supporting a residents group in Werrington who are opposing the flyover on the grounds of more freight traffic on the Pbo Spalding line will spoil their quality of life as more trains will run past one edge of their (massive) housing estate. The issue revolves around increased noise and the residents wanting compensation by way of a reduction in their Council Tax bills.

It is likely that he will be tabling further questions in the House about the plans, to quote him "The battle goes on".

• 5 weeks later...

If anyone wondering about the East Coast Rewards Points conversion into Nectar Points, you will be able to do so from 1st March until 30th September, at a rate of 1 East Coast Rewards Point into 6 Nectar Points.

Info from http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/rewards/rewards-news/

Any unused Rewards Points can be converted to Nectar points from 1 March 2015 to 30 September 2015. For every 1 Rewards Point you redeem, we will convert them into 6 Nectar Points.  You will be able to convert your Points from your Rewards account. Please allow up to 28 days for your Nectar Points to appear in your account.  Please check your Rewards account from 1 March for further details.

• RMweb Premium

but the conversion to Nectar is pointless (groan) for season ticket holders and it is less than a week to the handover: 

• The Rewards scheme for Season Ticket Holders will close.  Points for travel made to the end of February 2015 will be awarded in early March 2015 and will be the final Rewards Points issued regardless of the expiry date of the Season Ticket
  • Nectar points will not be earned for Season Tickets purchased at Virgin Trains East Coast Travel Centres though Virgin Trains East Coast is currently considering alternative packages of benefits for East Coast Season Ticket holders.

but the conversion to Nectar is pointless (groan) for season ticket holders and it is less than a week to the handover: 

Your choice, use them or lose them

7 months is plenty of time to redeem the exisiting points

Equally any newly acquired points will be under the new scheme

Edited by mjkerr

• RMweb Premium

But, at present, from next Sunday there is NO scheme for season ticket holders, as in the past with Nat Express and EC when they first took over the season ticket holder is NOT rewarded.

I see a comment about the GN/GE flyover in Peterborough. Well the local MP is supporting a residents group in Werrington who are opposing the flyover on the grounds of more freight traffic on the Pbo Spalding line will spoil their quality of life as more trains will run past one edge of their (massive) housing estate. The issue revolves around increased noise and the residents wanting compensation by way of a reduction in their Council Tax bills.

It is likely that he will be tabling further questions in the House about the plans, to quote him "The battle goes on".

Perhaps they would prefer [even] more freight on the roads ...

Chris

• Like 3

But, at present, from next Sunday there is NO scheme for season ticket holders, as in the past with Nat Express and EC when they first took over the season ticket holder is NOT rewarded.

Why should season ticket holders be rewarded?  They are hugely subsidised by both other passengers and the taxpayer.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Why should season ticket holders be rewarded?  They are hugely subsidised by both other passengers and the taxpayer.

Always a thing with season tickets - they are massively discounted, and long have been, but those who have them often think they should get a lot more than substantial discount.  I think what must happen is that the comparatively high purchase price where you are paying for a lot of potential journeys at once distorts the value of what your money is buying plus, of course season ticket holders have a  tendency in most cases to travel at the busiest times.

• RMweb Premium

I did say no stock changes until 2020 ...

I won't see the new stock then, my commute finishes, at present, on 31/12/17.

I don't think you'll be missing much!! IEP is just another poo-tube in different dress.

91103, ready to roll

If it is indeed operating 1S13 then will be in Edinburgh on Sunday, then working 1E01 on Monday morning

Quite common for this diagram to be used for publicity at Kings Cross, due to the 1 hour 20 minute layover, and timing for press to attend for lunch and evening release

Edited by mjkerr

• RMweb Gold

According to VTEC's Twitter feed, there will be some form of VT branding on all Class 91s and 43s during the first week. I gather there is to be an "Interim" livery using vinyls over the existing EC grey and a more striking livery for full repaints.

Some of the National Express liveried HSTs and Silver Mk4 sets are probably due for a lick of paint soon, so it could be quite interesting.

• RMweb Premium

According to VTEC's Twitter feed, there will be some form of VT branding on all Class 91s and 43s during the first week. I gather there is to be an "Interim" livery using vinyls over the existing EC grey and a more striking livery for full repaints.

Some of the National Express liveried HSTs and Silver Mk4 sets are probably due for a lick of paint soon, so it could be quite interesting.

I wonder if it'll be a different version to WCML, or simply a copy of that applied to the "Pretendalino" Mk3/DVT set?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

I wonder if it'll be a different version to WCML, or simply a copy of that applied to the "Pretendalino" Mk3/DVT set?

It's a slightly different version

The red extends much further along the loco / DVT, logos are slightly smaller

Unlike VTWC there will be logos on each coach (more like the transfer in and initial VTWC livery)

Edited by mjkerr

On Monday the stock for the 11.00 departure arrives at King's Cross ECS from Bounds Green.

After returning with the 16.30 from Edinburgh it works ECS to Ferme Park.

The very first passenger trains of the new franchise are on Sunday and will be:

Northbound - 08.45 from London King's Cross to Aberdeen

Southbound - 07.55 Newcastle to London King’s Cross

There should be a second 91 in the new livery by Tuesday.