East Coast Main Line to Virgin Trains East Coast

• 2 weeks later...

Question, are the different TOCs in the UIC via the old BR obligations taken over by DaFT? If so, what happened to the international agreement for first class to be designated by a yellow stripe? Somebody higher up need to enforce the international standards that EU railways are supposed to stick to.

Question, are the different TOCs in the UIC via the old BR obligations taken over by DaFT? If so, what happened to the international agreement for first class to be designated by a yellow stripe? Somebody higher up need to enforce the international standards that EU railways are supposed to stick to.

Did they not have to retrospectively apply yellow stripes to the Voyagers 1st class, because folk got confused when they first came out without them?

It's not the first time though, is it?

VIRGIN%20HST%20NO%2043008%20AT%20WICHNOR

I honestly find it difficult to keep up with all the cheapo 'branding' vinyl comings and goings....

Is this a WCML HST or one of the Virgin Cross Country (ECML  to  the south and west) trains that preceded the Voyagers?

dh

[edit: sorry, I meant to ask where it was photographed]

Edited by runs as required

I'm afraid that I find the whole Virgin branding thing looks cheap - which the service is not!

There's no escaping it these days - WCML, ECML, planes, broadband, money shops, spaceships etc. etc. - I know it's called entrepreneurship, but really!

Virgin owns just 10% of the share of the ECML operation (not a big gamble should they end up handing back the keys like the previous two operators) - I feel they only bought into it to get their logo splashed over the place.

I travelled WCML from Euston to Crewe and back yesterday, and thought the whole operation looked a bit tatty - although I must admit it was on time both ways!   My "Super" (?) Voyager seat had a grand view of a window pillar and ride was noisy and vibrating from underfloor engines.

Oh, for an 87 and Mk3 set - those were the days my friends! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I travelled WCML from Euston to Crewe and back yesterday, and thought the whole operation looked a bit tatty - although I must admit it was on time both ways!   My "Super" (?) Voyager seat had a grand view of a window pillar and ride was noisy and vibrating from underfloor engines.

Oh, for an 87 and Mk3 set - those were the days my friends! 

Whilst I agree with the 87 an Mk3 set (and would prefer something on a non-electric route over both) I'm wondering what the Voyager was doing. Where was it ending up? Euston to Crewe's electrified all the way after all. Not that Pendolinos are much better but at least the engines under the floor aren't as intrusive.

The Voyagers aren't too bad if you get a lined-up table seat in the coach without the engines running (admittedly quite a few "ifs" there).

Maybe I was unfortunate but I got a Voyager both ways.  Down service was Holyhead bound, the return up service I believe started at Chester.

Must plan it better next time!  Although I find Pendolinos a bit claustrophobic.

I much prefer the ECML with it's Mk4's and Mk3 HST's.

Edited by cravensdmufan

• RMweb Premium

Yep, I'm rather envious of people who use the ECML (I'm well in WCML territory), but they won't last forever in the east alas.

The Pendolinos definitely require getting a well-aligned seat to not feel too claustrophobic, I spend most of my time on train journeys looking out of the window (so, erm, Pacers probably win on that regard, perhaps I should re-think what makes a good trip!)

As for the branding I'm not mad keen on it but the current version looks smarter than the old one IMO.

Edited by Reorte

VTEC has told me that the next 91 set will emerge in the new livery during the first week of April, 

Two Class 91 locos were prepared for the inaugural launch, just in case one failed

91.124 the Virgin liveried power car is no longer with its set. It's hooked up to a grey East Coast set.

Looking through this thread, it doesnt seem to have been mentioned yet, but there's been TWO complete 91 / Mk4 sets in the full livery since at least the start of the second week. On the Monday (8th) en-route from Newcastle to Kings X, passed two full liveried trains both heading the opposite way (so couldn't have just been the same one twice). Possibly two sets had been prepared for the launch?

Saw both side by side in Kings X today. 

And one of the full liveried sets now has a grey loco

Edited by kenw

• RMweb Premium

Latest report is that the vinyls aren't sticking too well around the doors, so the relivery project is being delayed whilst they sort it out.

Cheers,

Mick

I must admit that I have lost all track of the various liveries infesting the rails. Most European countries have managed to partly privatise while retaining a national identity, after all, AND still steer business to their own companies like Siemens as a result.

I'm a lifelong opponent of the political project at the heart of the EU in its present form, but that doesn't mean that we do things better automatically. There's a good deal we could usefully learn from Europe, and this is one if them.

Sadly the new management haven't done anything to stem the verbal diarrhoea through the intercom, especially listing out every item available on the buffet and trolley.

Why do they DO that? It's like the dross that comes over the PA when you're flying... all I want to know is that we are going to arrive on time. I don't care if we are cruising at 30,000 feet, or wafting along on a sprinkle of pixie dust, that's what the pilot is paid to deal with.

My daughter lately travelled First Class from Scotlsnd to Peterborough and her main comment was that the usual continuous supply of tea, coffee and snacks has dried up.

Edited by rockershovel

• RMweb Premium

My daughter lately travelled First Class from Scotlsnd to Peterborough and her main comment was that the usual continuous supply of tea, coffee and snacks has dried up.

Just as long as the beer hasn't, the last time I went East Coast first class the third time the guy came by he just handed me one without being asked, which I was rather impressed with - working out customer needs like that!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Travelled KX to Leeds rtn on Monday and KX to Doncaster rtn yesterday.

Monday I upgraded to 1st Class but noticed a definite deterioration of the "complimentary offer" of food and drink and also no "Times" newspaper. 

Exteriors on new livery vehicles looking worn and dull already.  Dread to think what they'll be like when winter sets in!

Return ex Leeds was East Midlands HST, and interior very shabby - toilet not working etc.

Overall impression was that many corners are being cut.  Shame to see this flagship service now looking so tatty.

"let's privatise the railways to give consumers [apparently a new word for passengers] a choice"

I want to go London to Edinburgh:

stagecoach rail t/a virgin from Euston
stagecoach rail t/a virgin from Kings Cross

stagecoach rail t/a stagecoach rail from St. Pancrase to the North Midlands and then....

stagecoach bus t/a megabus

(you could always look for a national express coach, if you can still find any).

Yes, great choices there. The same can be said on the West Country where most of it is first- but at least they have a little bit of arriva chucked in for variety.

South of London. Oh, right- nearly all stagecoach rail.

As much as I am trying to steer clear of controversy- railways were always described as "a privatisation too far" and it was true.

Thanks. I should replace that with "large parts are exclusively under one operator- stagecoach and other parts are exclusively under another (govia?)". Either way, they don't compete with each other.

You aren't going to have stagecoach management saying "right lads, we need to lower our prices and improve our reliablity, seating capacity and customer services on the route to Portsmouth, otherwise there's a real danger that some people might travel with the opposition to Hastings instead."

"South of London - nearly all Stagecoach"

I simply can't let that go uncorrected.

I'd hazard a guess that the pattern exists for a pretty logical if unfortunate reason. The "leading" operator i.e. GNER/East Coast puts the business on a sound footing, with strong passenger numbers, revenue growth and staff satisfaction, the "trailing" operator uses this strong basis for an overly optimistic bid that is nigh on impossible to achieve and results in the franchise becoming untenable.

With regards to the current situation, I'd give VTEC until the full introduction of IEPs before I make full judgement, afterall that was the fundamental basis of what the DfT were looking for from operators.