Western Gaurdsman at Cardiff

Superb.

Welcome aboard Gareth and many thanks for sharing your photos - the more hydraulics in South Wales the better! Coupled with Brian's notes, it really helps build a picture of the the time and place for those who couldn't be there.

A curve ball from me - I appreciate not in the typical remit of the thread but some Warship ancestry, taken in Berlin on Saturday. These things are enormous. A mainline trip behind V200.033, complete with its two original Maybachs lumps, is getting increasingly tempting.

94cbc600f817063510064bad764d44b2.jpg

I do hope to be able to share some of my uncle's slides at some point - he took a lot of slides in the post-steam, pre-TOPS era around Reading and Exeter whilst he was at university. Understandably, for many of the reasons listed above, he is cautious about where they may end up and how they may be used, but is slowly scanning them.

Pix

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Sorry but I could not resist my one and only chance of adding to this excellent thread.

This is the Spanish RENFE 4020 taken in Madrid 2013 mid February.

post-12815-0-49481200-1425410555_thumb.jpg

(Yes, they ARE very imposing.)

Kev.

• Like 7

Crikey, I hadn't read any posts above but notice that Nidge had exactly the same thoughts as me....

Great minds etc etc

For a nanosecond I actually thought it was 'Caradoc' on a Sunday ballast job c.1971...!

• RMweb Gold

Nice ones Brian!

Rather special when pastimes combine - likewise with footy Kidderminster Harriers stadium used to be good for watching both the game and passing railway activity - only went there when Worcester City were playing of course, if an evening game Hymeks were likely there too in the late 60s/early 70s.

Also fishing locations where the railway was in proximity - during evenings spent at Cheney Longville just north of Craven Arms the trout tickling on the River Onny was punctuated by passing traffic on the Hereford - Shrewsbury line including Class 40 hauled freights.

Happy days!

Phil

Used to enjoy fishing the Regents Canal by Mitre Bridge near Old Oak Common in the early 70s, caught the odd Roach, Gudgeon and Perch. But enjoyed watching the parade in and out of Old Oak much more and the endless too and fro in the carriage sidings, not to mention all the passing Warships, Westerns & Hymeks on the Mainlline. Lord knows how many bites I missed whilst watching the railway instead of my float...

Kevin

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Whilst not wanting this thread to develop into an endless list of Flickr finds, take a look at the KDH archive which I've linked to the dedicated thread on Hydraulic galleries here, bottom link.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/37668-diesel-hydraulic-photographs-and-galleries/?p=401799

Neil

Edit bl**dy iPad fat finger autocorrections etc.

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 1

Assuming Neil's typo was supposed to read 'not', here are a few more of my hydraulic photos.

No wonderful D95xx shots I'm afraid, as the only time I saw one (until the preservation era) was at Stewart & Lloyds, Corby but no camera on that occasion.

Here is D7026 with an up parcels heading towards Twyford - 12th April 1974

post-4474-0-53021500-1425488286_thumb.jpg

D1048 in the usual weather that I encountered when having a photographic day out.

Plymouth 18th October 1976

post-4474-0-41246500-1425488290_thumb.jpg

D7093 leaves High Wycombe with the regular pick-up goods - 25th October 1973

post-4474-0-75781700-1425488335_thumb.jpg

D6310 on a short goods train at Exeter on 23rd August 1968, one of my earliest photos

post-4474-0-47094900-1425488391_thumb.jpg

These pictures have appeared elsewhere on the internet in the past, but I thought it would be ok to share them here.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Another three from my collection this evening, though not my best work I'm afraid. My notes on these are also hazy, but I believe the captions to be correct.

post-7291-0-13286200-1425497662_thumb.jpg

First, we have D1059 at Paddington on a grey day in November 1973.

post-7291-0-32439500-1425497677_thumb.jpg

Next is D7011 at Old Oak Common in March 1974. I have had several attempts at scanning the original negative and this is the best I've been able to achieve.

post-7291-0-46301500-1425497694_thumb.jpg

Finally, D1027 was caught at Dawlish in April 1974. Not a brilliant shot, but I think it captures the essence of the Westerns on their home turf.

• Like 13

Great photos Trevor, many thanks for sharing them here! Datewise your shot of D1059 at Padd is spot on, the large building being demolished behind the old parcels depot is a tell tale in many photos taken around that time.

D7011 - an Old Oak stalwart in its last days and a regular on the Acton / Park Royal / Southall trips and even the occasional outing to Princes Risborough and Chinnor on the coal jobs.

• RMweb Gold

Actually Phill September and October were wetter than average! I know what you mean though Jan-Aug that year were seriously below, hottest and best summer in my lifetime.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

Yes, Neil.

In fact the heavy rain in 1976 started at the end of August Bank Holiday Monday in the south. I know because my car got marooned in the floods during an almighty thunderstorm and I abandoned it and walked home.

In fact September 1976 was the wettest for 50 years, and most places had at least twice the monthly average, with a few areas getting four times their normal monthly total.

< /meteorological anorak mode >