Bachmann Blue Pullman

BobM

Could be a limited edition perhaps ?

possibly, but there aren't too many limited editions that are 6 car packs at £600+. I wouldn't expect too many commissioners wanting to take that risk perhaps without significant deposits upfront

That would need to have the end jumper cables fitted and the bottom of the front valance modified. Maybe Bachmann will do that eventually, but I expect it would be a few years yet, if at all.

Perhaps the tooling would need to be permanently modified for the revised front end and Bachmann want to make sure they have squeezed every last penny from the existing tooling before making that change? This is pure speculation on my part and I have no idea if the revised version will ever happen.

To be fair, it would seem a sensible thing to do. The modified 6-car units operated in both Nanking Blue and reverse Grey/Blue liveries. It extends the modelling window of the units well into the banger blue era. Also, it opens it up to WR modellers who have not had an authentic BP option so far. While the yellow ends were not particularly attractive, the finalised version was a lot better than the experimental custard-dip version that has been issued so far.

I think this version would sell OK if it was produced.

bluepullmancustard.jpg

• Like 1

I think you’re right about the custard dip being a lot worse than the version illustrated. I wonder, though, what the final cost would be if even a modest re-tool were to be produced. It might be that only a few people would want it badly enough to pay up.

I think you’re right about the custard dip being a lot worse than the version illustrated. I wonder, though, what the final cost would be if even a modest re-tool were to be produced. It might be that only a few people would want it badly enough to pay up.

They could also produce this version although it was hardly the BP at the height of it's glamour.

3918435941_23c714e74d_z.jpg

As to whether it would sell, I don't know. The current model only covers the period 1960-66 so is no use to anyone modelling after the end of steam. I have to admit that I am happy with my original release (in N gauge). I have supplemented it with 2 extra coaches to approximate a WR 8-car set and I am satisfied with that. Retooling would only affect the cab ends, the vast majority of the original tooling would be fine. Then it would be just production costs. I guess Bachmann have a better idea of what future sales might be.

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps the tooling would need to be permanently modified for the revised front end and Bachmann want to make sure they have squeezed every last penny from the existing tooling before making that change? This is pure speculation on my part and I have no idea if the revised version will ever happen.To be fair, it would seem a sensible thing to do. The modified 6-car units operated in both Nanking Blue and reverse Grey/Blue liveries. It extends the modelling window of the units well into the banger blue era. Also, it opens it up to WR modellers who have not had an authentic BP option so far. While the yellow ends were not particularly attractive, the finalised version was a lot better than the experimental custard-dip version that has been issued so far.I think this version would sell OK if it was produced.bluepullmancustard.jpg

Even with its damaged nose (centre light). ?

:-)

Edited by adb968008

Perhaps the tooling would need to be permanently modified for the revised front end and Bachmann want to make sure they have squeezed every last penny from the existing tooling before making that change? This is pure speculation on my part and I have no idea if the revised version will ever happen.

I suspect these days it would be cheaper/quicker to produce a new body tooling. It would, however make for a relatively cheap (special commission (low tooling costs) for one of the usual suspects.

• RMweb Gold

We were happy for years with models produced in various liveries without the associated minor detail alterations being made to the model. I know that would be inaccurate but why not. I believe they would still sell.

• Like 1

Without knowing the magic figure of how many sales have actually been made, I'd reckon we're 3-5 years away from the next Blue Pullman variant from Bachmann. They need to let demand for it build up again and are smart enough not to want to saturate the market with models

David

The Swanage Railway shop had two Blue Pullman sets on the shelves at about £599 each. Surprisingly they have sold them both. Even the shop assistants expected them to remain on the shelves for weeks. It shows that people are prepared to pay for quality even if the Blue Pullman may not fit in with the period or location they are modelling. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Many thanks, mine is in storage while we have some building work done, hence I couldn't measure it. I can now order a Train Safe tube of the right length to put it in, and get the builder put the brackets up (my diy skills aren't good enough).

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks, mine is in storage while we have some building work done, hence I couldn't measure it. I can now order a Train Safe tube of the right length to put it in, and get the builder put the brackets up (my diy skills aren't good enough).

Colin.

My Blue Pullman sits comfortably in a 180cm Train-Safe tube.

Keith

I bought a new Blue Pullman in Nanking Blue here in Australia after they'd all been sold in the UK. I paid $630.00. I saw one on ebay for $1,200.00. I wonder if the seller just bought it to make a profit once all the Nanking Blue liveried ones had been sold. I would have liked Bachmann to sell individual coaches so one could make an 8 coach Blue Pullman and made the coach connections so that could have been possible.

Oh well wishful thinking.

• RMweb Gold

Why would they do that? It would be incorrect.

Slightly inaccurate perhaps but attractive. An eight car set would be more impressive than a six car set.

If additional coaches are OK for Rapido's APT-E then why not Bachmann's Blue Pullman?

Slightly inaccurate perhaps but attractive. An eight car set would be more impressive than a six car set.

My reasoning also. I was fortunate enough to pick up a pair of Blue Pullman Trailer Firsts in N Gauge from someone who didn't have room or desire to run a full 6-car set. While not the same as the Motor Seconds in the 8-car WR sets, they are close enough and have the same general window arrangement.

It is the closest I am likely to get to a WR set and is close enough for me if I squint slightly. ;)

• Like 1

It was suggested, on a thread when the original Bachmann model was announced, that maybe the 8-car Western Region set would have been just that little bit too long for most prospective buyers, that is, their layouts may not accommodate them. It would also have been even more expensive than the 6-car Midland set that was produced.

It would have been risky to have sold cars individually and not as complete sets - some might sell better than others, leaving unsold and unsaleable stock. It's a complete unit train, not something that was designed to be remarshalled. (Yes, that happened to the real thing in later life, I know.)

• RMweb Gold

If additional coaches are OK for Rapido's APT-E then why not Bachmann's Blue Pullman?

The only common vehicles between the WR and Midland Pullmans are the parlour firsts - all the rest had different combinations of body/bogie, so the differences are quite substantial. Even the driving motor vehicles had different windows. I agree that modelling trains shouldn't be about worrying, but these are quite visible differences.

• RMweb Gold

The only common vehicles between the WR and Midland Pullmans are the parlour firsts - all the rest had different combinations of body/bogie, so the differences are quite substantial. Even the driving motor vehicles had different windows. I agree that modelling trains shouldn't be about worrying, but these are quite visible differences.

The coaches were all the same colour though!  :jester:

Also speaking as someone who never saw either Midland or Western Blue Pullans (Pullmen??) in real life, I could not tell the difference except by counting the coaches as it rushes past at a scale 90mph.

Well, I'd buy a couple of extra Parlour Firsts for dissecting if Farish released them. I don't think the uptake would be anywhere near enough to justify a production run mind.

Being able to access additional Parlour Seconds would certainly be useful for those prepared to carve them up - if you take a Midland 6-car set and add in two additional Parlous Seconds you have enough bits and pieces to model an 8-car Western set. One pair of Parlour Firsts can be used straight off in a Western set. The Western Kitchen Firsts then needs the chassis and the big windowed toilet from the other set of Parlour Firsts.

8520d42dfba697995d0bd361bb4d53f0.jpg

The remaining body, chassis and toilet offcut is the right combination for the Parlour Second.

235afcb9b0ec36e66f560796fe554f7a.jpg

I 3D-printed the window inserts for the second class spacing for the Motor Seconds and Parlour Second to drop in. They match the Farish window mo 

d90f6d1a6316bde74f91997cfd0e6dc6.jpg

I sourced my bits from the Farish yellow front ones - at £171 for a six car set from Hattons, this must be the bargain of the century. I must get round to finish painting them soon.

6a5a6f766ad025de88c76470c580ccc2.jpg

a48c9e4fc9d620fa3d24b387da63aa15.jpg

cf9f63838684238268a51b90f3d12e13.jpg

Cheers,

Pix

• Like 2