Bachmann Blue Pullman

BobM

The answer was "Because back then, radio stations were full of adverts for cigarettes. Are you sure you want us to replicate that?"

It would be educational - not a bad thing for a museum ship.

Also I note the bread being "hovis" was a selling point!

I have to ask, what is "hovis"?  While we're at it what goes in the "fruit" bread?  Dried grapes (meaning raisins, sultanas, currants etc)? Or are we talking about something more of a cake consistency like a date loaf.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It would be educational - not a bad thing for a museum ship.

I have to ask, what is "hovis"?  While we're at it what goes in the "fruit" bread?  Dried grapes (meaning raisins, sultanas, currants etc)? Or are we talking about something more of a cake consistency like a date loaf.

Just think Bara Brith - Theres lovely isn't it!

Phil

It seems Clearwater in post 113 has one looking of the photos.

Correct! Or as my wife described the box "is that more train junk for you?"

I've not added other photos - I think most people know what it looks like by now and Andy Y had already posted a nicely posed version of the box. I didn't think my camera phone pics would add anything more to the debate. However, the menu is new to this box and is an interesting curio and sociological insight to the mid 60s hence the subsequent interesting discussion on cigarettes and hovis. I'd be surprised if any sandwich shop, particularly one aiming for the upscale customers, would advertise a fairly ubitiquos brand in that way. These days I'd expect it to be toasted sourdough with organic whole meal seeds instead!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

She didn't ask and I didn't volunteer the information! I try to operate on a "need to know" basis

The usual suspects,I see from your list of fellow travellers. :jester: Now what was that famous biblical expression.....something about sin and throwing stones ?

It looks like the best 00 gauge train that has ever been produced. When the prototype came out it set a new standard for British Rail and paved the way for the Inter City 125. Now the Swanage Railway shop has got one for sale so it will be interesting to see how long it takes for it to sell the new Midland Pullman.

It looks like the best 00 gauge train that has ever been produced. When the prototype came out it set a new standard for British Rail and paved the way for the Inter City 125. Now the Swanage Railway shop has got one for sale so it will be interesting to see how long it takes for it to sell the new Midland Pullman.

It's not new mind, just a (admittedly better) repackaged alternative Pullman unit to the one previously available. Plus a rather higher price...

I'm surprised if the blue pullmans were going to get another run produced that the reversed colour scheme wasn't produced at the same time. I wonder if that will ever be released now.

That would need to have the end jumper cables fitted and the bottom of the front valance modified. Maybe Bachmann will do that eventually, but I expect it would be a few years yet, if at all.

I'm surprised if the blue pullmans were going to get another run produced that the reversed colour scheme wasn't produced at the same time. I wonder if that will ever be released now.

It could also be caution on Bachmann’s part. The original blue-nosed examples disappeared like snow in summer whilst the so-called “custard dip” ones hung around for quite a while. There were suggestions that the custard dip did not last long on the real thing and that it was only applied to one end. I suspect, though, that the main reason it didn’t sell so quickly was that it was just ugly. A consensus would probably be that the reverse livery was not as attractive as the blue, hence a repeat of the blue.

Points in addition to Coppercap’s most important reason, of course.

• RMweb Gold

Could be a limited edition perhaps ?

My Blue Pullman pack arrived on Saturday, superbly packed and protected, from a well known box shifter in the Steel city.

A superb model, very well presented.

As I missed out first time round, due to my own dithering, I was determined to catch one this time round, as it may be the last chance.

The price is steep, but it's too late now, the money has gone so I will be more than content.

I will say though, that I'm disappointed in the included book.....or rather booklet.

It's a rather thin affair and pocket sized. More like a pamphlet, but with many more pages.

Still, I have the author's full book titles, in hardback, so no loss there either.

The menu and colour print...pah! ....not interested really.

All-in-all I'm very pleased to have this set, but I still wish I'd bought it first time around, without all the extra stuffing.

Not just because of the price, but more the thought that the "extras" are of no use or value to me personally.

Thank you Mr. Bachmann.

• Like 2

The driver of the Midland Pullman had a white uniform so the figures for the crew would probably only be suitable for the Midland Pullman.

The MIDLAND Pullman drivers wore a dark uniform (a sort of jumpsuit), whereas those on the WESTERN Region Pullmans wore a white overcoat, hence them being nicknamed "ice cream men". Check out the films "Blue Pullman" (Midland), and "Lets go to Birmingham" (mostly Western, but with bits of the film "Blue Pullman" cobbled into it) to see the drivers.

Edited by Coppercap