Bachmann Blue Pullman

BobM

• RMweb Gold

The coaches were all the same colour though!  :jester:

Also speaking as someone who never saw either Midland or Western Blue Pullans (Pullmen??) in real life, I could not tell the difference except by counting the coaches as it rushes past at a scale 90mph.

Good point, Colin. How many modellers actually have a station at which a Blue Pullman did/might have actually stopped? Apart from the termini, Cheadle Heath comes to mind for the Midland Pullman, while I'm unsure of the Western chaps. None of these iconic trains called at every halt or lamp-post.
  • Like 2

I think that the South Wales Pullman ran fast from Paddington to Cardiff but then stopped at major stations on the way to Swansea.

The Bristol Pullman only stopped at Bath en-route. The Wolverhampton service had a bit more variety calling at Birmingham Snow Hill, Solihull and Leamington on the way to Paddington. The 6-car sets also worked to Oxford but this was after they were defaced with MU cables.

The Blue Pullmans operated a fair number of charters and specials so this makes a good source of "what if" potential. Noted destinations include West Hartlepool, Coventry, Aintree as well as some Surbiton - South Wales railtours. There was also consideration given the using the 6-car sets on the Bournemouth Belle IIRC.

To be fair, how many of us model a real station to a reasonable degree of accuracy right down to the service pattern? Some modellers do but I suspect the majoprity simply aim for something convincing rather than a detailed reproduction.

• RMweb Gold

I think that the South Wales Pullman ran fast from Paddington to Cardiff but then stopped at major stations on the way to Swansea. The Bristol Pullman only stopped at Bath en-route. The Wolverhampton service had a bit more variety calling at Birmingham Snow Hill, Solihull and Leamington on the way to Paddington. The 6-car sets also worked to Oxford but this was after they were defaced with MU cables.The Blue Pullmans operated a fair number of charters and specials so this makes a good source of "what if" potential. Noted destinations include West Hartlepool, Coventry, Aintree as well as some Surbiton - South Wales railtours. There was also consideration given the using the 6-car sets on the Bournemouth Belle IIRC.To be fair, how many of us model a real station to a reasonable degree of accuracy right down to the service pattern? Some modellers do but I suspect the majoprity simply aim for something convincing rather than a detailed reproduction.

Fair enough. I think what I meant to say was that if the BP is batting along at the scale 90 then only the Super-Gricer will observe the inaccuracies of the rake. If a model is more of a show-case special - no shame in that! - then details do need to pass muster.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

That may be why he is asking but so far no one has answered his question.

Only guessing - but perhaps the detailing bag is required to detail a model of the Blue Pullman from an earlier era?

Come to that - I don't recall any of the BP reviews referring to details to be fitted by the purchaser - perhaps there wasn't a detail bag?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Only guessing - but perhaps the detailing bag is required to detail a model of the Blue Pullman from an earlier era?

Come to that - I don't recall any of the BP reviews referring to details to be fitted by the purchaser - perhaps there wasn't a detail bag?

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'm pretty sure one of the YouTube reviewers showed it.

• 3 months later...

If anyone is interested there is a second hand with set blue fronts in the window of the military/model railway shop in the Harris Arcade Reading, Berks, just off of station road.

It's priced at £400 but as been in the window for some months now but the guy normally knocks 10% for cash and may be willing to reduce it more to get it shifted.

post-269-0-89203600-1485364497_thumb.jpeg

• RMweb Gold

Fair enough. I think what I meant to say was that if the BP is batting along at the scale 90 then only the Super-Gricer will observe the inaccuracies of the rake. If a model is more of a show-case special - no shame in that! - then details do need to pass muster.

I think that the South Wales Pullman ran fast from Paddington to Cardiff but then stopped at major stations on the way to Swansea.

The Bristol Pullman only stopped at Bath en-route. The Wolverhampton service had a bit more variety calling at Birmingham Snow Hill, Solihull and Leamington on the way to Paddington. The 6-car sets also worked to Oxford but this was after they were defaced with MU cables.

The Blue Pullmans operated a fair number of charters and specials so this makes a good source of "what if" potential. Noted destinations include West Hartlepool, Coventry, Aintree as well as some Surbiton - South Wales railtours. There was also consideration given the using the 6-car sets on the Bournemouth Belle IIRC.

To be fair, how many of us model a real station to a reasonable degree of accuracy right down to the service pattern? Some modellers do but I suspect the majoprity simply aim for something convincing rather than a detailed reproduction.

South Wales Pullman also called at Newport.

• RMweb Gold

Batting along at 90 or not, I don't think you'd need to be a supergricer to notice that one had 2 windows on the power cars, 'Midland Pullman' branding, and 6 cars with first class window spacing, and the the other had 3 closer spaced windows on the power cars, 2 extra coaches with this window spacing and more windows, and just plain 'Pullman' branding.  Just reasonably observant.

Comparisons between the Midland and Western Pullman sets. Note that the coaches immediately behind the power cars must be the correct way round as the traction motors of the real sets were on the rear bogies of the power cars and the immediate adjacent bogies of the attached coach. The associated equipment for this is underslung on the chassis of the kitchen cars of the Midland sets and the 2nd class cars of the Western sets. There were no traction motors under the drivers cab and it is said that due to this strange arrangement, the driver had the best ride of all. Note also that apart from the 2½ bays on the Midland power cars and the 3 bays on the Western power cars, the Western power cars have additionally a side destination blind between the centre doors and the engine vents. 

attachicon.gifpost-29548-0-40203000-1485945535_thumb.j

In the image of the WR set, the second class coaches are shown the wrong way round, in that the motor bogie should be, as you correctly say, adjacent to the rear bogie of the power car. Also, the kitchen/1st trailer cars on the WR set are shown reversed, in that within the train, the kitchen separates the 1st and 2nd sections - all the 1st class passenger areas are together, and all the second class areas are together. The image of the MR set is correct.

Edited by Coppercap

South Wales Pullman also called at Newport.

I based my original statement on the information on Railcar.org about the WR Blue Pullman. It states that the first stop for the Blue Pullman was Cardiff. Annoyingly, their scan of the original flyer is too small to make out the stops clearly so I can neither confirm nor deny the accuracy of their statement.

http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/blue-pullman/wr-operations

The steam-hauled South Wales Pullman from 1955 certainly stopped at Newport but unless we can get a proper look at the 1961 flyer, I can't tell for certain if the Blue Pullman service did too or if it omitted Newport.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a6/c7/9e/a6c79eb7ce0e0fa6f98aed73ff0fb282.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I based my original statement on the information on Railcar.org about the WR Blue Pullman. It states that the first stop for the Blue Pullman was Cardiff. Annoyingly, their scan of the original flyer is too small to make out the stops clearly so I can neither confirm nor deny the accuracy of their statement.

http://www.railcar.co.uk/type/blue-pullman/wr-operations

The steam-hauled South Wales Pullman from 1955 certainly stopped at Newport but unless we can get a proper look at the 1961 flyer, I can't tell for certain if the Blue Pullman service did too or if it omitted Newport.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a6/c7/9e/a6c79eb7ce0e0fa6f98aed73ff0fb282.jpg

I travelled on it from Cardiff to Newport, just to see what it was like, with a couple of mates; this would have been '63 or '64 when we were 11 or 12.  You had to book your seat and pay the excess fare of course.  The ride in those days at the 75 trains were allowed between the two stops was pretty good, and starting and stopping were imperceptibly smooth.  I remember the venetian blinds between the double glazing worked by a little handle to pull them up or down, but cannot now recall how you altered the angle of the slats.  I remember the steward telling us that the tinting of the windows was micro thin gold plating!

In those days only one passenger train ran through Newport and Cardiff without stopping, which was the Kensington Olympia-Fishguard Motorail, and IIRC that stopped outside Canton for relief.  As the speeds through both stations were low, it was probably thought that through running was not worth the very small gain in time for the loss of passenger and parcels revenue, including of course the mail contract.

• RMweb Premium

Having got the 2 Midland Pullman Sets, I've come to the conclusion that a WR set would not go at all amiss! i won't hold my breath mind you. I can at least put together D1001 and the Pullman Rake as found in the Western Requiem article in the Railway Magazine, although I couldn't be wholly accurate on the Pullman cars in the actual rake of the time.