Bachmann 2015/16 Speculation ... or Divination 101 as it is known on the Hogwarts Express

Ozexpatriate

Re the Class 120, where did the Class 120 sit in the "wish list" results say two years ago?  This year it was top ten, but surely Bachmann's 2015 announcements would have originated as business decisions taken at least 12, if not 18 months ago?  So, it might be premature to assume a quick correlation between this year's results and this year's announcement.

In any case, prior to tooling up a new 64ft underframe Bachmann still has some life yet to wring out of the existing 57ft underframe, the BRCW Cl104 being the obvious remaining, relatively large and widespread class of short frame DMU which could be brought forward using the existing underframes/mechanisms.

I also can't help thinking that with Kernow/DJM having announced the long frame suburban DMUs (which will be an acid test for the likely cost of a three-car detailed long-frame first gen dmu) should they (as I expect) sell like the proverbial freshly cooked sweetmeats, given the Class 119/120's associations with the WR, Kernow/DJM would be the front runners to produce an RTR model.

• RMweb Gold

I was under the impression that Bachmann announced planed models at the very start of research stage and this way Bachmann took about 18 months to hit the shops. On average. Where Hornby would announce later into the development work. This was partly why Hornby have come under so much fire of late. Later announcements plus slow delivery.

• RMweb Gold

I haven't waded through all of this thread, so someone else has probably asked for what I'd like - Bulleid coaches up to modern day standards. 

I'd b surprised if they didn't sell well.

They'd sell well to me...

• RMweb Gold

Re the Class 120, where did the Class 120 sit in the "wish list" results say two years ago?  This year it was top ten, but surely Bachmann's 2015 announcements would have originated as business decisions taken at least 12, if not 18 months ago?  So, it might be premature to assume a quick correlation between this year's results and this year's announcement.

Hello Wombat

The Class 120 was the top-voted DMU in 2012, 2013 and 2014. In 2012, it was in overall 7th position; in 2013 it dropped to 10th; but in 2014 it climbed back up to overall 7th.

Brian (on behalf of The Poll Team)

• RMweb Premium

Given long gestation periods I'd wager that Bachmann had done very little research, other than to find a picture of the subject being announced. I would site the Stanier 2-6-0 as an example of this, which even now, 2 years on is at a very early stage of production. But it's only a hypothesis. 3-4 years between announcement and delivery is really way too long

• RMweb Gold

I haven't waded through all of this thread, so someone else has probably asked for what I'd like - Bulleid coaches up to modern day standards. 

I'd b surprised if they didn't sell well.

Bulleid non-gangwayed coaches would sell very well to me.

I was reading the other day that there is a predicted shortage of DMU cars in the next few years as some of the early series units become life expired and the progress of electrification projects is slower than expected. The indication was that even finding build capacity and placing orders now would take until around 2020 to yield results. My first thought was they must be coming from Bachmann...

I'd be surprised if they didn't sell well.

(Nor have I... not in this sitting, at least.)

Bulleids... Multi-door would be welcome (but then I have a 5-Car in Bachmann's original Bullied, so I'd welcome a new direction).

What I did miss, first time around (even though I had it on pre-order - never delivered bah humbug) was the beautiful Wainwright C class in full SEC lined (31-460). [i saw a poll recently that shewed (if I remember) that "only" 40% wanted this reissued so that they could buy it. What was [i]that[/i] about? Bachmann will, or should, concern themselves with who DOES want to buy, not with who DOESN'T!]

Long-grass wish for older Southern corridor stock. Wouldn't mind Ironsides... (Oh, and a Third Open LMS coach, Porthole? I thought TOs were the most common.)

• RMweb Premium

Are the second generation DMUs not the same? The Class 150s and 156s certainly have a single toilet per 2-car unit, I think the 158s are the same off the top of my head

Some (most) of the 2nd gen 2 car units have as near as identical shells. The windows match on both cars, but one may be frosted for a toilet and the other may be clear. - such as 142/143/144's (The roof will vary with vents above the loo though).

The 150 has a small window in one car for the toilet and a large "normal" window in the other car, so strictly speaking has two different shells. The 156/158's have the same external window layout for both vehicles

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

What I did miss, first time around (even though I had it on pre-order - never delivered bah humbug) was the beautiful Wainwright C class in full SEC lined (31-460). [i saw a poll recently that shewed (if I remember) that "only" 40% wanted this reissued so that they could buy it. What was [i]that[/i] about? Bachmann will, or should, concern themselves with who DOES want to buy, not with who DOESN'T!]

I, too missed out on Bachmann's 'as preserved' SECR 'C' (31-460), which was intended to form the starting point (along with a Hornby Blackmore Vale) of a small Bluebell-based layout.

As a result of not being able to obtain the loco, I shelved my planned purchase of Bachmann's Bluebell buildings until I could (which never happened) and subsequently went off the idea altogether. A further knock-on effect is that, having not built a layout suitable to run it on, I won't be buying an E4 either.

I'm therefore not bothered one way or the other if they re-run this loco but I am curious whether others reacted the same way as me.

John

• RMweb Premium

Bulleids... Multi-door would be welcome (but then I have a 5-Car in Bachmann's original Bullied, so I'd welcome a new direction).

I too have a rake of the current Bachmann Bulleids so would welcome a new direction. But for me this would be the shallow ventilator variants (including a BCK) not multi door stock.

I think it's a shame that these polls / wish lists / crystal ball gazing posts seem to concentrate so much on motive power.

What I feel is lacking is coaching stock, especially for the grouping era, and even pre-grouping. Apart from the recent wonderful LNER teak stuff from Hornby, there is little stock to a modern standard of manufacture out there. The portholes and Hawksworths are post 1948. With pre grouping locos available (or soon to be available) in GNR, SECR, LSWR, GC, S&DJR, LB&SC, L&Y to name but a few, sales of these locos would surely be boosted if rolling stock was available to run them with.

With most new tool carriages hovering around the £50 mark, there must be money to be made here. The birdcages and Thompsons will help (when they eventually turn up !) and Hornby's new LMS stock, but there is still a large void to fill. Just ask GWR modellers.   

I think it's a shame that these polls / wish lists / crystal ball gazing posts seem to concentrate so much on motive power.

What I feel is lacking is coaching stock, especially for the grouping era, and even pre-grouping. Apart from the recent wonderful LNER teak stuff from Hornby, there is little stock to a modern standard of manufacture out there. The portholes and Hawksworths are post 1948. With pre grouping locos available (or soon to be available) in GNR, SECR, LSWR, GC, S&DJR, LB&SC, L&Y to name but a few, sales of these locos would surely be boosted if rolling stock was available to run them with.

With most new tool carriages hovering around the £50 mark, there must be money to be made here. The birdcages and Thompsons will help (when they eventually turn up !) and Hornby's new LMS stock, but there is still a large void to fill. Just ask GWR modellers.   

There is a bit of a void in post-Mark 1 loco-hauled coaches to a modern standard too.

No Mk2b or Mk2c coaches

Hornby Mk2ds are ex-Airfix from the 1980s

Hornby Mk2e's have their faults, such as a fictional solebar

Bachmann Mk2fs have yet to appear

Hornby Mk3s are pretty basic to say the least. Roof vents on buffets are extras you have to source and fit yourself now by the looks of it and some TGSs have buffet interiors

Hornby Mk4s are pretty basic (railroad?) from the 1990s

• RMweb Gold

there is still a large void to fill. Just ask GWR modellers.   

I think that GWR modellers are suffering from the fact that they did so well out of the RTR manufacturers in the 70s and 80s. The perception that there is already plenty of stuff available has until recently prevented manufacturers from taking the plunge with new items, especially where coaching stock is concerned. 

With most new tool carriages hovering around the £50 mark, there must be money to be made here. 

Debatable, at that price point: there's been plenty of unrest voiced on here, and price increases haven't been levied to increase margins, they have risen to keep pace with increased production costs.  So the effect of making more coaches than usual presumably does not support the business case, it's neutral in impact.

• RMweb Premium

It's just that it's difficult to reconcile a Railroad Mk1 price with a £50 coach model. Yes I know some coaches have separately fitted parts and others will be priced higher because of limited market , but there is obviously still a huge gulf. I think people would be more believing at £35 price levels

Archived