RMweb

The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium

BIG is certainly a clue , so a 4 BIG is a possibility. I know this is the buffet unit, but if they wanted a 4 CIG would they just substitute buffet with a TSO or would it require a complete new coach to be tooled up. Sorry not up on my electric units

I'm sure others will tell me if I'm wrong (and I usually am), but we have had several small tender work horse engines from Hornby in the last few years for most of the big four, but apart from the 42/52/72xx we don't have anything up to current standards for the GWR. We won't get one this year either I suspect, but surely it is time that Hornby looked at one of the GWR smaller tender engines - a very small field I know what with the Dean goods having gone. 

There aren't really that many to choose from.

The 0-6-0s are done and I can't see Hornby making a new one of either. I would have thought the 4-4-0s would be Bachmann territory as they already have the chassis suitable for most variants.

Which leaves us with the Mogul. I would think that was also more likely to come from Bachmann.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Gold

One thing that caught us all on the hop not so long ago was the Crosti 9F in Railroad to keep costs down, and very well received too in most quarters.

With Hornby now doing the FO and BSO Mk1's why not a 4BIG/4CIG in Railroad if they've been doing a lot of Mk1 research along the way?  The low fat Mk1's seem pretty good to me.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't think that Hornby are going to be making one of those. ;)

Jason

All joking aside, I'd reasonably suggest a pannier would fit very nicely in the Hornby product stable. We all know about the Baccy product, but it really is in a limited timeframe, from about 1940-65.. I'd suggest that a pannier in the works series from say 1854-2721 would work a treat, and extend the rather large gap left in the ranks. Hornby has already done the 2721 class, and a high fidelity model might well prove a popular choice. Given the historical pasting from the web over the 42xx, we will need to reign in our horns perhaps, and show that we are nice people, after all!

Ian.

All joking aside, I'd reasonably suggest a pannier would fit very nicely in the Hornby product stable. We all know about the Baccy product, but it really is in a limited timeframe, from about 1940-65.. I'd suggest that a pannier in the works series from say 1854-2721 would work a treat, and extend the rather large gap left in the ranks. Hornby has already done the 2721 class, and a high fidelity model might well prove a popular choice. Given the historical pasting from the web over the 42xx, we will need to reign in our horns perhaps, and show that we are nice people, after all!

Ian.

I thought that Bachmann still produced the 57XX and 8750 as well as the 64XX and also have the 94XX on the design board? So that's 1929 until nearly 1967 (Croes Newydd) with LT ones lasting until 1971.

To be honest I can't see them doing classes that only just made it into BR and not having any preserved examples. More likely to be a 15XX or 16XX if anything.

Jason

Guest Midland Mole

3:  (I don't think it has been mentioned ;  "BIG BERTHA"

If they announce Bertha I will invite all of you to Footplate to watch me eat my hat! :D

Alex

• Like 2

Guest Midland Mole

Do we know that the BIG announcement IS a new loco/unit/rolling stock? We all expect new items and a new catalogue to be announced around Warley time, so could a new item be considered a BIG announcement?

In my mind the actual BIG announcement may be something completely separate to any new items.

Alex

Do we know that the BIG announcement IS a new loco/unit/rolling stock? We all expect new items and a new catalogue to be announced around Warley time, so could a new item be considered a BIG announcement?

In my mind the actual BIG announcement may be something completely separate to any new items.

Alex

I thought the phrase used was a "Big H" announcement.

Still think it's the SECR H as preserved for the Collectors Club.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Also Southern, SWT/Stagecoach, Jaffa Cake, 'ghost' livery on SE sector and one in non-protoypical green towards the end of their lives.

First 'Phase 1' CIG's and BIG's were delivered in green SYP, later builds were in blue/grey from new.

All over white and Southern two tone green and white also carried.

Edited by John M Upton

I thought the phrase used was a "Big H" announcement.

Neither "H" nor an announcement, but rather a BIG surprise.

So there we have it, the next edition will be coming to you next month, just before we head off to the annual Warley National Model Railway Exhibition and we can’t wait to get going. We have a BIG surprise in store, to which the final touches are being applied now so keep an eye out on here and on our social media channels for more clues on what that might be.

My emphasis.

Perhaps the "BIG surprise" is that Hornby won't be making any announcements at Warley? ;)

There is a hint that the announcement might occur in The Engine Shed on November 17 rather than a week later at the Warley show, They have announced something at Warley each of the last couple of years. Of course we could see both with an Engine Shed on November 24.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

I'm sure others will tell me if I'm wrong (and I usually am), but we have had several small tender work horse engines from Hornby in the last few years for most of the big four, but apart from the 42/52/72xx we don't have anything up to current standards for the GWR. We won't get one this year either I suspect, but surely it is time that Hornby looked at one of the GWR smaller tender engines - a very small field I know what with the Dean goods having gone. 

Imagine a 43/53/73/93xx GWR Mogul to Hornby's current (see the latest images of the LMS Coronation Class) standards! Mmmmm... :man_in_love_mini:

With a Hornby Lord Nelson looking increasingly nailed-on, it would seem that Hornby are open to parking their tanks on Barwell's lawn. And besides, even if Bachmann announced a retooled GWR Mogul in the next 12 months, it wouldn't see the light of day until 2021 at least, which leaves the door open for Hornby to nip in with their much, much shorter lead times. Frankly the lack of progress with the 94xx pannier is verging on the farcical. 

All that being said, what would GWR modelers rather have if there was a proverbial gun to the head? A Manor, a County, a Saint, a Mogul, or a 41/51/61xx Prairie? These are the biggest gaps in the loco fleet now really and I do feel that we will see them all in the next decade. If I had to go with one it would probably be the Mogul, given that they were found all over the GWR system, were maids of all work, and the old Mainline/Bachmann tooling and split chassis very ropey these days; I could probably make a case to buy three or four alone. My logic here is governed by the fact that the Hornby large prairie is serviceable with the more recent Hornby motor and the body aint bad, the Bachmann Manor scrubs up ok, as does the County. Hornby's circa 1980's Saint is pretty poor in all aspects, but given that a lot of these had dissapeared by 1948 I am not sure if there would be as much demand for one as the other prototypes listed. The new build GWR County and Saint do make retools of these almost inevitable however, in my view. 

CoY

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A pannier might not be a bad guess, they posted pictures of someone measuring 9400 at Steam a few years back, Bachmann since announced a 9400, so I think duplication maybe off, but a 16xx or a 15xx is only a matter of time for someone to pick off.

• RMweb Premium

Incredible, someone comments on a blurred picture on the front of the 2018 Hornby catalogue and now we have page after page of speculation about virtually every class of loco going. Great example of Froth in extremis. If as posted previously the picture is clear in the collectors club,  it would be helpful if someone posted that clear picture so we could ay least know what that loco is.

Incredible, someone comments on a blurred picture on the front of the 2018 Hornby catalogue and now we have page after page of speculation about virtually every class of loco going. Great example of Froth in extremis. If as posted previously the picture is clear in the collectors club, it would be helpful if someone posted that clear picture so we could ay least know what that loco is.

Personally its pretty clear that its a lord nelson as per the comparison in post 1457

Incredible, someone comments on a blurred picture on the front of the 2018 Hornby catalogue and now we have page after page of speculation about virtually every class of loco going. Great example of Froth in extremis. If as posted previously the picture is clear in the collectors club,  it would be helpful if someone posted that clear picture so we could ay least know what that loco is.

Just go back a couple of pages. ;)

Here it is.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f3/45/33/f34533feb8bc9d94314d60726b912b28.jpg

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1