The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

I must admit that I'm a little confused by the postings on here about the alleged demise of the Engine Shed.

John Storey's post clearly says that it has been postponed but it will be back in the New Year with more exclusive news.  This seems to be a perfectly reasonable explanation to me and I guess Hornby want to focus on the 2018 product launch, with a bigger engine shed announcement than usual in January.

I find it hard to believe that people jump to various conclusions and speculation just because one issue of the engine shed has been postponed.

It isn’t just because one issue has been postponed. The postponement follows a cut in the number of issues appearing and the loss of regularity.

That said, it does seem reasonable that Hornby wants to concentrate on a big launch. We shall see what transpires.

The Engine Shed is a very good marketing tool for Hornby, especially when an announced model

is then shown, over the months, from EP to livery samples. This all helps Hornby to build an

enhanced desire to for us own the model concerned.

The one thing they have to sort out is the quantity of the production run. Not long ago demand for loco's

like the 700, S15, J15 etc was over estimated leading to price slashing to offload the surplus.

Now the opposite has happened with the H, and Sir William, not meeting demand. This is all lost profit.

Maybe Hornby, through the Engine Shed, could judge the demand for a new model by the response

they get during the development stage. One that would have caught me out was the demand for the Peckett !.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do hope what we are seeing is a temporary blip and that the engine shed will continue. And continue as was, as a direct link between the development team and customers. One of the reasons it worked was the obvious passion and enthusiasm of the team and the fact it felt like real enthusiasts talking to other enthusiasts. Lose that and it loses what made it so nice.

Almost makes you wonder if that was precisely the reason for its apparent disappearance and certainly a massive change (to absolutely sweet fa) in the way Hornby maintains contact with many of it customers and followers?

I must admit that I'm a little confused by the postings on here about the alleged demise of the Engine Shed.

John Storey's post clearly says that it has been postponed but it will be back in the New Year with more exclusive news.  This seems to be a perfectly reasonable explanation to me and I guess Hornby want to focus on the 2018 product launch, with a bigger engine shed announcement than usual in January.

I find it hard to believe that people jump to various conclusions and speculation just because one issue of the engine shed has been postponed.

You miss the critical change - The Engine Shed, especially at this time of year and at the time of the Warley show, was a drip feed of information, shots of EPs, little clues about other things lurking in the background, and so on - all of that has vanished and at what would have been one of its most interesting times of year!  That has to have been a positive negative decision made by 'someone' and not just some sort of 'accident'.  So it must mean something - and while that 'something' could be nothing equally it could mean all sorts of things but the most obvious one is withdrawal from engagement with potential customers.  

Once you've established a particular line of communication which is seen by your market as working in a positive way and keeping them informed and 'teased' then changing or downgrading, or 'disappearing', that form of communication will inevitably be seen as a negative step.  Doesn't matter what on earth you have in mind to replace it, the negative impact of being seen to strangle or kill off that form of communication is the one that has the first, most immediate, and most disturbing impact on your market, on your customers, and on your reputation for having any sort of interest in your customers.  A marketing failure with knobs on, and one to sit in the box of past Hornby marketing failures such as the Olympics fiasco and the way in which 'design clever' was presented to us.

• RMweb Premium

No word on whether the new catalogue will be available Smiths or Tescos either . That was one of the more positive developments from last year. Of course you could get it by joining the new Hornby Club.........no wait , all communications on that front have gone dead too . Sort of launched , but not . Pretty poor really.

I've loved opening red boxes since 1965. At this time of year I remember fondly the thrill of receiving a trainset, the countless accessories that followed from relatives . One of the companies really you could say was special . And I don't think I'm alone , there are lots on here that hold this company in affection , despite it seems the best efforts of its management.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Yes maybe I'm a sad case , but there was a thrill opening the new Triang Hornby or Hornby Railways catalogues . Not so much for what was new, although in these days with no social media you probably didn't actually know until you got the catalogue, but to see pictures of layouts and get ideas as to what you could do with your layout . I think the best ones were around 73 and 74 , but I do remember "welcome to our world" 1980as being a particularly good one . I still buy the catalogue each year but that fun has gone . Although its a glossy professional publication , its lost its interest. That too could do with a revamp .

Happy days as you say

Edited by Legend
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Almost makes you wonder if that was precisely the reason for its apparent disappearance and certainly a massive change (to absolutely sweet fa) in the way Hornby maintains contact with many of it customers and followers?

You miss the critical change - The Engine Shed, especially at this time of year and at the time of the Warley show, was a drip feed of information, shots of EPs, little clues about other things lurking in the background, and so on - all of that has vanished and at what would have been one of its most interesting times of year!  That has to have been a positive negative decision made by 'someone' and not just some sort of 'accident'.  So it must mean something - and while that 'something' could be nothing equally it could mean all sorts of things but the most obvious one is withdrawal from engagement with potential customers.  

Once you've established a particular line of communication which is seen by your market as working in a positive way and keeping them informed and 'teased' then changing or downgrading, or 'disappearing', that form of communication will inevitably be seen as a negative step.  Doesn't matter what on earth you have in mind to replace it, the negative impact of being seen to strangle or kill off that form of communication is the one that has the first, most immediate, and most disturbing impact on your market, on your customers, and on your reputation for having any sort of interest in your customers.  A marketing failure with knobs on, and one to sit in the box of past Hornby marketing failures such as the Olympics fiasco and the way in which 'design clever' was presented to us.

Drip-feeding of news and new-product teasers via The Engine Shed seem to be off the agenda, either permanently or until a new communications strategy is in place.

Whether this year's reversion to a "big-bang" in which everything planned is revealed in one go proves to be a new norm or transitional also remains to be seen.

It's rapidly becoming clear, however, that Hornby have "battened down the hatches" while they have a good think. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Well I,ve heard the original program of a Nelson, GWR Mogul, J36 and a Kitson have been replaced by an N7, Dean Goods and a Janus diesel.

Next years new coaches are Mk 3s apparently and painted samples are already done.

Wagons, we will see Warwells, car transporters and a cattle wagon with 9ft wheel base.

• RMweb Gold

Aaaah..... Sussed it!!!

Next year, 2018, must be an exclusive Great Western Railway year. Everything made is west of Paddington.

It must be like that. The slightest mention of anything GWR will bring forth significant amounts of froth, such as to float the Great Eastern.

Mops & buckets at the ready!

S.C. Rooge.

• RMweb Gold

Aaaah..... Sussed it!!!

Next year, 2018, must be an exclusive Great Western Railway year. Everything made is west of Paddington.

It must be like that. The slightest mention of anything GWR will bring forth significant amounts of froth, such as to float the Great Eastern.

Mops & buckets at the ready!

S.C. Rooge.

I'm disappointed - I was expecting you to say at least 'west of the Severn' (and probably the Usk as well, not that I'd necessarily go along with taking things that far)  ;)

• RMweb Premium

With all due respect, I think you’re reading it wrong. I have much experience of mergers, take-overs and all shades of grey in-between. It is a classic case of the brakes being put on everything whilst the new order undertakes it’s strategic review of everything from staffing, marketing activities, product lines and reappraisal of the market. Hornby (and Oxford) are simply not in a position to drip-feed stuff to their customers whilst their business is being reconfigured, because they have everything on hold! Typically this can take up to six months but I would hope in Hornby’s case it will be sooner... they are not a large company.

The announcement to come in the new year will probably be a combination of the existing product development that they have decided to continue with, plus a surprise or two that will help get the new strategy rolling. They will still be firming up the details on this, but will be able to resume stuff like The Engine Shed once the Wheels of their machine start turning with renewed purpose. In time, expect a rush of enthusiasm and new stuff once they get going. Trust me, it will come.

Phil

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

...It rapidly becoming clear, however, that Hornby have "battened down the hatches" while they have a good think. 

John

Exactly that. No point in communicating until you know what you are going to say.

..... It is a classic case of the brakes being put on everything whilst the new order undertakes it’s strategic review of everything from staffing, marketing activities, product lines and reappraisal of the market. Hornby (and Oxford) are ....

Whilst I agree, it is not just Hornby and Oxford, it is also Scalextric, Airfix, Corgi, etc ......  I can see some big decisions being made about trimming the group and ranges.

• Like 2

Whilst I agree, it is not just Hornby and Oxford, it is also Scalextric, Airfix, Corgi, etc ...... I can see some big decisions being made about trimming the group and ranges.

And in between getting right, there will be some mistakes made too. Makes good RMweb fodder!

Guest spet0114

All this seems a bit familiar - a well liked entity goes downhill amid worsening comms. Saw it at Locomotion then at MREMag. Might we call this the Kohler effect?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

All this seems a bit familiar - a well liked entity goes downhill amid worsening comms. Saw it at Locomotion then at MREMag. Might we call this the Kohler effect?

May be Mr Kohler has written a story entitled 'What went wrong at Hornby since I left and how I'll now save the day' and it is so long and verbose it has crashed the Hornby IT system :)

• 2 weeks later...

The closing line 'Until next time and until next year...' sounds pretty final :(

My guess is this was written last year and delayed in publication until this year, so until next year is referring to 2018. 

Especially when the blog says just above that, that they are looking forward to sharing the development of the 2018 range with us during the year

Edited by rovex

Think you have to read that in the context of the review of 2017. It does say not far above: we're extremely excited to share regular updates on how we are progressing with our other 2018 models with you over the course of this year.

• RMweb Gold

Think you have to read that in the context of the review of 2017. It does say not far above: we're extremely excited to share regular updates on how we are progressing with our other 2018 models with you over the course of this year.

Ok - thats more reassuring :)

Maybe it was a reminder to those now in charge of how well liked the Engine Shed is and how it contributes to the development of models.

Mind, still no mention of when the full size H Class will be in the shops, they had that fully decorated one at Warley but nothing at all on Hattons, Kernow, Rails or even Hornby's own website about how much it will be or when it will be out.

• Like 2