RMweb

The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

• RMweb Premium

Hornby need all the money they can get. If people are happy to pay for these novelty items which must cost Hornby peanuts to produce and should have a good margin then good luck to them. Not my cup of tea though.

• RMweb Premium

I think that it is a promotional thing that they are showing them as best sellers?

Stewart

Wouldn't that be misrepresentation or even fraud?  I am sure advertising standards would be interested if that were the case.

Nah. It's just that it's the time of year that retailers have to order stuff for Christmas. Most of these will be going to retailers that aren't model shops.

It's not as though they have had anything "new" out recently that we have all been buying in droves. Or any new announcements that we have all pre-ordered.

Jason

I think that it is a promotional thing that they are showing them as best sellers?

Stewart

Agreed. Just marketing puffery surely. Perfectly legit and utterley meaningless.

It is probably the top selling Hornby 2018 commemorative hopper.

regards

• RMweb Premium

There is a big announcement  soon - see below

That leaves us to end this edition of The Engine Shed with some big news. An exciting Hornby announcement is coming soon so be sure to keep your eyes peeled and your ear to the ground. More details will be released soon, and you can be sure we’ll be back with all the inside info too!

• Like 2

I don't understand why people get snotty about the commemorative and Christmas/Fathers Day gifts. Or the cheap engines of various liveries. If you don't like them. don't buy them.

It's like criticising someone for liking Little Mix because you like U2. They're both aimed at different people.

Jason

Problem is Jason people buying them for you!!!

• RMweb Premium

I hope it’s not that they are taking another preserved engine to a model railway show . Given that you couldn’t buy model last time it was a bit of a damp squib . So not holding my breath on exciting announcement but hope to be proved wrong.

Maybe they are just saying that as there’s been comments that Engine Shed is flat these days, contains no excitement or the fun of the chase we used to have , so are drumming up a new announcement.

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Gold

Re the promise of a future announcement.  To me its very obvious, without anything other than pure guesswork its clear that that they need something else to run behind the beautiful blue Merchant Navy and the two of the Lord Nelsons. They have the 59 ft underframe so they put  Bulleid shortie bodies on top and hay presto they get some (different) Bullied coaches out before Bachmann. You know it makes sense Hornby!

Sorry guys, the heat has got me wish listing but it is nice to see them working a bit of speculation into this edition of the Engine Shed. The last few editions have been a bit 'safe', as though the editorial policy had been changed. I am sure someone with an academic English background could tell us if the style had indeed changed.

Godfrey

• Like 4

SECR D class would be nice but unlikely. Has anyone forgotten the 2018 catalogue front cover and the Night Ferry coaches? Hauled by Merchant Navy and Lord Nelson and class 71 all produced by Hornby.

Seems like joined up thinking so am probably wide of the mark. Am starting to wonder....

This has got to be one of the best blogs to date, it was actually packed with information. This is what the blog should be like every month. Even if it's a decoration example for a Hornby RailRoad model, it's worth seeing. The Class 59 is the best example, the original image on the website doesn't look good at all, but the painted sample looks lovely.

• RMweb Gold

It's about this time in the new announcements and frothfests that I give to you......

THE FELL

.................................one day, one day i will be right and I will have the last laugh.

Unfortunately, I suspect it may be the next model Hornby will produce after the icebreaker they will announce to deal with Hell having frozen over........ :jester:

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

I forecast that TTS van is going to get right on my nerves at exhibitions all over Scotland . Still it makes a difference from Whistling 20s and diesel horns sounding every time before something moves off

• Like 1

Well, they did do one of their enigmatic (i.e. deliberately misleading) clues for their next big announcement ;

"... so be sure to keep your eyes peeled and your ear to the ground ..."

Well "keep your eyes peeled" only reminds me of Shaw Taylor's Police Five  -  but the "ear to the ground" bit doesn't tie in.

Wild stab in the dark  -  a police class 37 (!)

• RMweb Gold

Well, they did do one of their enigmatic (i.e. deliberately misleading) clues for their next big announcement ;

"... so be sure to keep your eyes peeled and your ear to the ground ..."

Well "keep your eyes peeled" only reminds me of Shaw Taylor's Police Five  -  but the "ear to the ground" bit doesn't tie in.

Wild stab in the dark  -  a police class 37 (!)

No, its a potato.  :no: