End of the line

d winpenny

Hi everybody people who follow my ramblings will know I have recently sold my previous layout Eskborough, with the intention of starting a new project based on knottingley depot West Yorkshire, I wasn't going to start a three this early but having seen Marcus 37 efforts planning his new peakdale layout on wallpaper I thought id give it a go.

Here is the area I want to capture

post-10013-0-92171800-1427190707_thumb.jpg

I will be excluding the lines for the triangle as I don't have the space to build out that far aswell as the fuel storage siding.

More pictures of my planning to follow

David

Edited by d winpenny
Title change
  • Like 13

That looks like a good plan for an interesting project. Good luck with it; at least there would be lots of activity in its heyday, although it looks to have undergone some rationalisation in recent years.

The big building at the back appeared to be going to take over as the new servicing facility when it was being built 20 years ago (or at least that is what I assumed.

post-4474-0-15222300-1427192132_thumb.jpg

Now, from that overhead view, it seems to be completely unconnected with rails and looks more of a white elephant.

• Like 8

Good luck with your new project David, I have always liked Knottingley depot as it was a great place to visit to see lots and lots of Grids. I will be following your progress with interest.

I do hope that you will allow it to be modelled in the late 80s and early 90s as well?!! ;)

• Like 1

Thanks everybody I will try and take a photo of the plan thus far, I will be including as much as I can on the picture starting at the top of the picture with the main running lines then the big wagon repair Shed then moving towards the bottom of the picture I may have to compress it slightly depending on how much room everything takes up lengthways

David

Edited by d winpenny
  • Like 2

Hi David, It looks and sounds like a nice plan, looking forward to seeing it flourish.

Here's a few of pics for you from when George T and I went up there on 28th March 2005, ALMOST 10 YEARS AGO to the day.

post-9335-0-07297300-1427221892_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-57701700-1427221965_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-98083400-1427222003_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-15182300-1427222169_thumb.jpg

You can tell it was a Sunday

• Like 13

That looks like a good plan for an interesting project. Good luck with it; at least there would be lots of activity in its heyday, although it looks to have undergone some rationalisation in recent years.

The big building at the back appeared to be going to take over as the new servicing facility when it was being built 20 years ago (or at least that is what I assumed.

attachicon.gif56092 56108 KY 5:9:92.jpg

Now, from that overhead view, it seems to be completely unconnected with rails and looks more of a white elephant.

I think that was the new office for trainload coal in fact.

Thanks for that info robD2.

I must admit that I am not a regular visitor to the region, and just took the occasional photo while in the area.

Therefore I just guessed at what the building was, and like many of my guesses - it was wrong.

Here are a couple more shots from 25 years ago.

Note to friend: Please try not to point out something on the avoiding line, just as the shutter is being pressed. :no:

post-4474-0-74683900-1427283398_thumb.jpg

post-4474-0-05843000-1427283402_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Hi David,

Looking forward to seeing this progress! I visited Knottigley a couple of times but that was when it was full of 56's and 08's. Those last pictures above from Jonny777 were probably around the time I visited, I was 13 at the time and now 38!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Here's my plan so far at 8ft by 3ft there will be another senic board at 4ft lengthways but there is no more room on the floor

post-10013-0-10123600-1427285994_thumb.jpg

Apolagies for the poor picture not the best light and I'm drawing in pencil till I'm happy

In an ideal world I would extend it another foot width ways but I don think that will be a viable option right now so I may lose the end shed road of have it as an unconnected track so at least the building is complete but we will see,

Edited by d winpenny
  • Like 5

Great pictures Johnny, I probably could reduce the spacings as at at the loco shed end seem have spread out to 5 cm between tracks some how might have to buy a few pieces of flexi and a couple of large radius points and see if that doesn't pull the spacing in a bit

David

• RMweb Gold

Amazing to think this is almost 40 years ago!

Knottingley TMD, 17th May 1975, with the cooling towers of Ferrybridge Power Station in the background.

For any one interested, on the depot that day were;

08206/305/309

47277/286/296/301/302/308/309/310/319/371/372/374/375

• Like 13

An excellent photo of the 47 days. I'm sure that I have one or two of that era filed away somewhere, but I can't find them - and that one is far superior to mine which were taken on a dull winters' day.

It is great to see them all with their MGR headcodes.

Thanks for posting.

Hi David, It looks and sounds like a nice plan, looking forward to seeing it flourish.

Here's a few of pics for you from when George T and I went up there on 28th March 2005, ALMOST 10 YEARS AGO to the day.

attachicon.gifKnottingley AP G-TAP.JPG

attachicon.gif66029 knot 28-03-2005 033.jpg

attachicon.gif66035 knot 28-03-2005 036.jpg

attachicon.gif66035 knot 28-03-2005 042.jpg

You can tell it was a Sunday

Yes definitely a Sunday - what a good set of images Andy - inspiration in bucketloads stuff em if they dont like a good old MPD :D

Here's my plan so far at 8ft by 3ft there will be another senic board at 4ft lengthways but there is no more room on the floor

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Apolagies for the poor picture not the best light and I'm drawing in pencil till I'm happy

In an ideal world I would extend it another foot width ways but I don think that will be a viable option right now so I may lose the end shed road of have it as an unconnected track so at least the building is complete but we will see,

Class :)

A good starting image...!

Edited by Crisis Rail