ICI Hoppers from Hatton's in Partnership with Oxford Rail

Andy Y

Yeah I was intending getting weathered ones, but have just ordered clean instead. I'll do the weathering myself

I'm hovering over the cancel button too, or possibly to change to ex-works versions.

Edited by WILLIAM

Hi all,

We've just got news that we're expecting the final delivery of ICI wagons within the next few days.

ICIWeatheredGroup_1920.jpg

This will cover the remaining weathered versions with the exception of ICI006CW and ICI006DW which are no longer being produced. I apologise for any inconvenience caused by this but unfortunately, it was unavoidable in this case.

If you have an order that contains one of the above codes then our Helpdesk team will be getting in touch shortly to check if you would like us to amend to one of the other available variations or simply remove it from your order.

Cheers,

Dave

Along with the correspondents who have already expressed their disappointment at the quality of the weathering finish applied to the ICI Hopper wagons, I too find myself most underwhelmed with same.

Having gone to the trouble of canvassing the views of modellers on RM Web and at exhibitions up and down the country and displaying three styles of finish with style two seemingly being by far the most popular, why have we ended up with this very bland fourth rendering. Perhaps style 2 proved to be too difficult to replicate and was never really an option when costs were taken into consideration. As no word came out of Hattons, we probably assumed that because of its popularity, style 2 would be chosen. I can only hope that the wagons look better in the flesh than they appear on the screen.

I had some of the weathered versions on order, but I have took the decision to cancel the order based on the pictures of these wagons. A little disappointed as they took the decision to ask opinions on this forum as regards to the finish. Hey Ho.

Looks like a trip to Wigan and Widnes on Sunday then to goto show and collect mine. I am going to order the weathered ones anyway as I had already saved up to buy all 20 examples. So I will buy some extra ones now and do some modelling to change them starting with the data panels using the AME transfer sheet he did for his resin and whitemetal kit.

In fact the thought occurred to me the other day just how many proposed and part produced versions of these wagons in OO gauge have been on the go over the years.... list time :mail:

* High Peak Casters - resin kit with end plates, vacuum cylinders, Ratio plastic bogie kit, plastic T section and brass buffers - Nik Bak/Kevin Dowd via Buxton Model Shop 1986-88 maybe - 3 versions made
* Appleby Model Enginering - resin body with whitemetal chassis, a choice of both bogies (roller bearing only), buffers, vac cylinders - 1996/97 samples made and a short production run made then no more
* Modelex - had planned an etched brass model - nothing ever progressed on this
* Uncommon Kits - had planned an etched brass model - a reduction of his existing O gauge kit - got as far as a test etch
* P&P Models - had planned an etched brass model - intended to be a reduction of an O gauge Summers wagon kit made by chap in [Edit] Penrhyndeudraeth - Warren Shepherd models - got as far as test etches - then artwork passed/sold to Roxey Mouldings - still available
* CP unknown - was to be a rtr model - nothing ever progressed on this
* Cheshire Cat Models? - this was a revamp by Kevin Dowd of his original resin kit with a much improved resin body - short run production unsure if still available
* Dapol - was to be a rtr model - nothing ever progressed on this
* Hornby Magazine via Dapol - ditto
* Wild Boar Models - this was originally going to be a 3D printed body and chassis with parts and Matthew got some nice sample models made up - production would have been resin copies of 3D parts to save cost - sadly kyboshed by announcement of Hatton's version
* BRM and ? - whether this was true will probably never know but would have been rtr
* Hatton's via Oxford Rail - see this thread!

In N gauge there was the Ian Stoate Models kit and there is at least one 3D printed one available from one of the 3D online places
O gauge - Uncommon Kits etched brass kit with whitemetal parts - I think this is still available & the kit for the Summers wagons again etched/whitemetal

Cheers Paul

Edited by pharrc20

I just had the "product now in stock" email about these weathered ones but I am just not convinced they are worthy enough to press the button. For now at least.

I should have finished this statement with, I will probably go for the earlier released "clean" ones?

Edited by Tankdave

Looks like a trip to Wigan and Widnes on Sunday then to goto show and collect mine. I am going to order the weathered ones anyway as I had already saved up to buy all 20 examples. So I will buy some extra ones now and do some modelling to change them starting with the data panels using the AME transfer sheet he did for his resin and whitemetal kit.

In fact the thought occurred to me the other day just how many proposed and part produced versions of these wagons in OO gauge have been on the go over the years.... list time :mail:

* High Peak Casters - resin kit with end plates, vacuum cylinders, Ratio plastic bogie kit, plastic T section and brass buffers - Nik Bak/Kevin Dowd via Buxton Model Shop 1986-88 maybe - 3 versions made

* Appleby Model Enginering - resin body with whitemetal chassis, a choice of both bogies (roller bearing only), buffers, vac cylinders - 1996/97 samples made and a short production run made then no more

* Modelex - had planned an etched brass model - nothing ever progressed on this

* Uncommon Kits - had planned an etched brass model - a reduction of his existing O gauge kit - got as far as a test etch

* P&P Models - had planned an etched brass model - intended to be a reduction of an O gauge Summers wagon kit made by chap in Porthmadoc name escapes me right now! Edit Warren Shepherd models - got as far as test etches - then artwork passed/sold to Roxey Mouldings - still available I think

* CP unknown - was to be a rtr model - nothing ever progressed on this

* Cheshire Cat Models? - this was a revamp by Kevin Dowd of his original resin kit with a much improved resin body - short run production unsure if still available

* Dapol - was to be a rtr model - nothing ever progressed on this

* Hornby Magazine via Dapol - ditto

* Wild Boar Models - this was originally going to be a 3D printed body and chassis with parts and Matthew got some nice sample models made up - production would have been resin copies of 3D parts to save cost - sadly kyboshed by announcement of Hatton's version

* BRM and ? - whether this was true will probably never know but would have been rtr

* Hatton's via Oxford Rail - see this thread!

In N gauge there was the Ian Stoate Models kit and there is at least one 3D printed one available from one of the 3D online places

O gauge - Uncommon Kits etched brass kit with whitemetal parts - I think this is still available & the kit for the Summers wagons again etched/whitemetal

Cheers Paul

The Roxey kits are definitely available.

http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/607/4f19-john-summers-hopper-wagon/

Jason

• RMweb Premium

Innocentman on RMWeb has a 3d printed n gauge one on Shapeways. When the 4mm Hattons ones were so delayed he did look at costs for a 4mm version. We now have enough of these RTF to have at least a full and a empty set on Chapel-en-le-Frith now having borrowed 6 resin built ones from LNER4479.

Baz

• Like 1

The Roxey kits are definitely available.

http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/607/4f19-john-summers-hopper-wagon/

Jason

Thanks Jason, I thought it might be. As the design work was incomplete there is a fair bit of fettling needed to make the etches work as a chap on here username halfwit once did in a blog.

Paul

9954642184_a3e7331e2d_c.jpg004 by brian mosby, on Flickr

9981761075_eef1992c14_c.jpg003 by brian mosby, on Flickr

• Like 3

Isn't weathering a modelling thing? if the 'underlying' model is good then surely that ought to be 'good enough' for any level of weathering?

The base model is good but I don't think that is the point in this case. The product being offered is specifically pre-weathered and the pre-production samples of the weathering were excellent (far beyond my personal abilities that's for sure). Hence the disappointment when the production model appears with, what a number of us think, is a much inferior weathering job.

Yes I could "do some modelling" to try and get a weathered finish I'm happy with but that isn't what I was hoping to buy nor is it something I particularly want to do in my spare time (each to their own).

I'm sure we'll get over it though.

Edited by WILLIAM

I placed my order for the remaining 8 wagons last night and all being well I will collect them from the store this weekend. I also purchased some extra ones to with the extra money I have been saving up since the first models were released earlier this year.

I had always planned to buy all 20 models right from when they were first announced despite my suprise at the project and non-involvement. As I listed in my previous posting the wagons have been a popular choice for proposals over the years.

One thing that hasn't been explained is why the last two aren't being produced other than an 'unavoidable' comment... unvoidable why? And does this stop any future versions of the models being announced and released?

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

Hattons email has bounced in today saying they are about to be dispatched. That 'horror' month might just be this month. Stand by my 'flexible friend' for a true bashing. Hand built sound fiitted Portuguese diesel also due to arrive just to compound my misery/marital strife

Edited by gridwatcher

Are there 3 there?

There should be two at SVR 19052 & 19129. Only 6 in preservation the others being 19000/3200 and 19036/3236 at MRC Swanwick Jnc., 19154 at NRM Locomotion Shildon and finally 19161 believed to still be in private store owned by Andrew Goodman.

It could have been 12 preserved had Tarmac not let the 6 that had been stored at Tunstead go for scrap a few years ago.

Paul

Edited by pharrc20

• RMweb Gold

There should be two at SVR 19052 & 19129. Only 6 in preservation the others being 19000/3200 and 19036/3236 at MRC Swanwick Jnc., 19154 at NRM Locomotion Shildon and finally 19161 believed to still be in private store owned by Andrew Goodman.

It could have been 12 preserved had Tarmac not let the 6 that had been stored at Tunstead go for scrap a few years ago.

Paul

Being fair.. they were offered around several times but with no takers they werent left with much choice.

I recall several appeals at the time to pick them up but no one wanted.

In perspective, is there even 12 MGR wagons preserved ? - i’d imagine their contribution to railways was much greater.

Edited by adb968008