Ellesmere North (W.Region 1957)

coachmann

"If trains from Denbigh or Mold are run they will require the big LMS tanks, so I have kept the Fairburn for that." ​

I've got one of those going spare too...............

Ha ha..... I have found one is enough when sound chips have to be bought.  A 'Crab' and an LMS 4F will assist on L.M.Region traffic.  A black 64XX and a LYR 3F 0-6-0 will therefore be going spare.

The pre-formed tumblehome was flattened and a fresh one formed almost to waist level.

I love how you causally mention flattening out the side and reforming the tumblehome. If I tried it, the side would end up resembling something in the linen basket in severe need of an iron :) :)

Larry,

I think you are using C&L or SMP on the station side, under the window?

I use SMP on the visual section of my layout and Peco on the rest.

I've had similar issues, although I'm not sure weather is a factor.

What does appear to be a problem is when wheels are lifted fractionally off the track (perhaps a stray piece of ballast?), that the resultant poor contact results in a deposit forming on the rail.

I don't know what science, if any, is involved but it seems that Peco track is less sensitive.

Regards,

Glover

• RMweb Premium

I had the same problem with SMP track, replaced it with peco code 75 as wanted the most reliable slower running.

Best wishes

Nige

Never had a problem with SMP in 40 years (usual disclaimer).

• RMweb Premium

Is your track indoors or in a shed that could suffer from humidity?

Over the years and different layouts it has been in a garage (Edinburgh), indoors (Sussex), a loft (Warwickshire), indoors again (Sydney) and a garage again (Sydney again).

Mine with the problem was out in the garage and did suffer from the cold!  The SMP worked great (and looked great) in the house on another section of the layout, but didn't like the garage!  Might have been temp or humidity?

Best wishes

Nige

• RMweb Premium

Could you run a small dehumidifier in the shed Coach? Might be enough to just keep all well. You wouldn't need to have it set very low, get the humidity down to about 60% and you it would be the same as being inside..

They aren't that expensive either....

Andy G

Could you run a small dehumidifier in the shed Coach? Might be enough to just keep all well. You wouldn't need to have it set very low, get the humidity down to about 60% and you it would be the same as being inside..They aren't that expensive either....

Andy G

Its not really appropriate Andy. I just never know when I will be going in the shed and I dont want to leave anything electrical on in there. SMP etc is nice to have when posting layout photos, but the appearance of track is some way down my list now. The track on the outside extension has always remained code 100 and barely needs cleaning. Since going down the DCC sound road I need reliability. 

a bit late on this one, but if you plan a bulk chemical trains from the Mold direction don't forget Synthite in Mold shipped formaldehyde in rail tankers & you have the valley works in rhydymwyn which you could generate all sorts of traffic out of - including exotics such as gases for chemical weapons - so chlorine, phosgene no doubt. 

• RMweb Gold

And there I was thinking a map, was supposed to stop you getting lost. Not to find out where you had been. Now I know better I need never carry a map with me again that will cut down on the weight on my next cycling holiday.

So I take it you find that SMP track needs cleaning more often than Coachman? Just wondering if the type of track you use would make a difference. Phospher bronze or nickel silver

The tank wagons I have are all Crosfield Chemicals of Warrington. Not sure what the chemical was they carried. All I could think of was a bulk train from Warrington via Whitchurch and Ellesmere. I was heading along a road marked Manchester and Whitchurch last Friday night after taking a wrong turn near Chester, so I turned off and ending up driving for miles along pitch black empty lanes. Eventually I got back to Wrexham Industrial and started again for Oswestry! I'll look at the road map one day and discover where exactly I drove. :O

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Crosfield

• RMweb Premium

Useful as in a quick way of reducing the current layout to its component parts before the next restart?  Or would that need a nitro truck too? biggrin.gif

Thanks, but a soap works keeps things simple. I would just like to say Ellesmere North remains intactus, as we need the track to test DCC-sound and tweak volumes to suit the shed. The possibilities of sound intrigue me and so I decided a few weeks ago that the layout was worth developing to suit sound and give more operational possibilities. New-build will start when the weather improves - probably February-March.

Archived