Ellesmere North (W.Region 1957)

coachmann

Thank you Sarah, that is a very thorough research and provides plenty of food for thought when it comes to Trade. On a smaller trade level, the making of Cheshire Cheese is a coincidence seeing as I was born not far from the Cheshire Cheese in Newton, Hyde. My proposed new layout gets much closer to real events with Wrexham branch workings and Oswestry-Whitchurch workings. The colliery will remain seeing as it was the excuse for upgrading the route to red dot (I happen to like Grange and Hall class locos). But I have it in mind to drop the workings from Mold in preference to LNWR workings from Whitchurch that will make use of my few remaining ex.LMS locos. There is also scope for a L.M.Region block chemical train from Warrington via Whitchurch and Ellesmere to some fictitious destination to make use of all my Crosfield Chemical tanks.

We spent a very pleasant week chugging along the canal from Llangollen to Hurleston and back at the end of September this year. Its very pretty. We spent a night moored at Ellesmere, on the junction, in each direction. I didn't realise there was so much history and industry in the area.

Of course, once off the boat on the last day, we had to drive to Llangollen and get a trip in along the line.

Thank you Sarah, that is a very thorough research and provides plenty of food for thought when it comes to Trade. On a smaller trade level, the making of Cheshire Cheese is a coincidence seeing as I was born not far from the Cheshire Cheese in Newton, Hyde. My proposed new layout gets much closer to real events with Wrexham branch workings and Oswestry-Whitchurch workings. The colliery will remain seeing as it was the excuse for upgrading the route to red dot (I happen to like Grange and Hall class locos). But I have it in mind to drop the workings from Mold in preference to LNWR workings from Whitchurch that will make use of my few remaining ex.LMS locos. There is also scope for a L.M.Region block chemical train from Warrington via Whitchurch and Ellesmere to some fictitious destination to make use of all my Crosfield Chemical tanks.

I wonder if there would be scope for an "inter-works" train from Crossfield's to Monsanto at Trefor?

Looking at the 1945 coal measures map, it is not too far-fetched to have a coal mine to the North-west of Ellesmere....

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=12&lat=52.9180&lon=-2.9206&layers=10coal

There is a "Railways" map dated 1946 as well....It covers the whole UK on two joined sheets....Hours and Hours of fun here! ;)

Key.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=9&lat=51.2961&lon=-5.8832&layers=10rail

Ellesmere-Wrexham-Chester area.

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=10&lat=53.1006&lon=-3.0858&layers=10rail

Ellesmere Station...the 6-inch to 1 mile map shews signal posts, mile posts, etc! 1883-1913

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=52.9097&lon=-2.9026&layers=6

1937-1961 1:25000. The Loop towards Oswestry has gone...but what is the big rail-served building there? Only a load of trees nowadays! Possibly a Government "Buffer Depot" from WWII?

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=52.9106&lon=-2.9090&layers=10

No map this time....but what is left of Ellesmere Station from the air!

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=19&lat=52.9094&lon=-2.9000&layers=168

Missed in the above piece due to forgetting...

Wrexham Industrial Estste Railway! Former Munitions Factory and  Depot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrexham_Industrial_Estate

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=53.0323&lon=-2.9321&layers=10

Thank you once again Sarah. The overlays are particularly use in showing how things have been built over since the lines closure. The old map of Ellesmere Station shows the turntable and a simplified goods yard. PGH told me the two long sidings behind the Whitchurch platform were different before the turntable was removed. I was intrigued to see how far the long line of high straight trees were away from the station. They are a feature of many photographs and always looked to be just behind the platform. They wont concern me as i will be looking at the model station from the direction of said trees. Ah well, off to study the Lenz instruction book now to set up the handset for newly chipped locos.

No problem...it is most enjoyable....research is really the day job as well at the moment!

I finally uncovered the origin of the Wrexham Industrial estate.

It was a mysterious fact that the Wrexham-Ellesmere line from Central remained in place after closure  to serve the sidings, as shewn on some older OS maps....

Thank you and apologies for not responding to everyone who sent Mary their good wishes. I have passed them on to her of course.  I've been attending her cookery classes in readiness...

... but have you stocked up on indigestion remedies? :yes: :yes:  :) :)

Regards to you both,

Dave

Hi, Larry,

Having just returned from hospital, following a successful operation having a bladder stone removed (the size of a small bird's egg, the length being larger than the width of a piece of Peco 00 track!!, I wish Mary all the best and hope she has a quick revovery!

Christmas wishes to you both!

Kind regards,

Tony Pritchard

Larry,

That is stunning realism in such a small scale! You certainly haven't lost your touch,

Thanks Jock. In case it interests anyone,  in 2001 I produced a pair of LNWR push & pull coaches that had run on the Delph Branch and offered the surplus etchings for sale as RTR coaches. They sold out and in response to inquiries further sets were produced. When Lawrence Scale Models was wound up due to the owners death in 2004, I decided massively reduce painting & lining and expand the RTR coaches side of the business and produce ordinary day coaches, but the question was which ones. Sticking the proverbial pin in a map, 'we' produced a range of Midland elliptical roof corridor coaches from 2005.

I say 'we' because it would not have been possible without Adrian Rowland's skill with CAD in interpreting my ideas. 30-odd years of painting Lawrence Scale Models coaches had made me aware of many pitfalls in commercial etchings and so in effect Adrian and I started with a blank sheet. Since 2005 I have gradually progressed through the LMS diagram book with the late John Fozard assisting as well. Ellesmere's expansion planned for 2016 has a need for some ex LMS coaches hence this sudden spate of coach building activity for myself.

Nothing at all to do with Ellesmere North but this thread isn't unique in wandering off down a siding occasionally. When this weighty 7mm scale  'Lord Nelson' arrived this morning for slight attention it took me back a good few years, in fact it was painted by me in December 1984 for Duchess Models. 

In 1939 Bullied had refined the malachite green livery to achieve what would have become standard but for the outbreak of war. No.857 Lord Howe with experimental round top combustion chamber boiler and Lemaitre blast pipe), shows the settled version with green on the smoke deflectors and wheels, yellow lining and black edging, but plain black cylinders. Gilt Tender insignia with black outline but gilt insignia with black shading on cabsides and bufferbeam, plus red back nameplates. Of note are the elbowed smoke deflectors.....

post-6680-0-46669600-1448540899_thumb.jpg

post-6680-0-37247900-1448540901_thumb.jpg

I got one going spare.......

A 2-6-2T? Thanks Jonathon. I only mentioned not having one in passing, as truth to tell I don't need one on Ellesmere. If trains from Denbigh or Mold are run they will require the big LMS tanks, so I have kept the Fairburn for that. 

That's your next project O gauge round the garden ?

0 gauge was considered recently, but rejected. The plan is to built a second return loop outside the shed at the door end to make a continuous run and turn Ellesmere into a through station serving Whitchurch. The trackplan is lifted from David Jenkinsons final book on railway modelling. I never plan long term anymore, therefore I have a feeling simplicity & speed will reign with Peco Code 100 100% indoors and out.

• RMweb Premium

I never plan long-term anymore, therefore I have a feeling simplicity & speed will reign with Peco Code 100 100% indoors and out.

Well I would, and I suppose you might to start with - but once you get your camera out .......  :no:

Archived