Ellesmere North (W.Region 1957)

coachmann

I'll be most interested to read what your findings are following Ellesmere's sound trials.

I went to Railex NE last Sat. and heard two distinct views from exhibitors (with layouts) about sound.

One guy argued that sound should be 'scaled' i.e. you put your ear close to the loco to hear it's various intimate sounds like firing etc.

There were 2 sometimes 3 loco's in action on the layout, each with its own sounds you had to strain to hear.

Another clearly enjoyed playing a loco (an asthmatic class 24) over an amplifier to set the ambient sound scene for his layout of a loco shed; he seemed to belong to the school that just has one loco's sound playing. His layout was in a fairly noisy part of the show.

My personal favourite at home is a slogging LNW G2A, with wheeze, creeping endlessly around my room with a long trail of empties while I'm working. Very satisfying, helps the concentration no end.

Best wishes

dh

If anyone has heard a firemans shovel from several coaches away they must have flippin good hearing.  Many of the things included on sound programs are for the roundyboys who think everything on diesels must have been on steam locos as well.  Visit YouTube and see cab lights, twin front and read 'lanterns', as some noddies call them, brakes that are applied with a hiss like on a lorry and an air pump as found on some mainline steam locos there days.

Depending on the brand, DCC steam sound can be used seriously if the modeller is prepared to put in the time altering the various CV's and ignoring the obvious toys like the platform announcer, squeal of flanges, clickety-click of coaches or wagons and clanking of buffers etc........One would need to be a qualified sound mixer to press the right button at the right time on the handset while shunting! But at long last it does appear someone is taking the actual sound of steam seriously judging by one thread on RMweb.

• RMweb Premium

While Mary (Indian name Nannanewknee) was practicing her new knee exercises (Latin Wheresmezimmer), I popped out to the shed for a DCC sound performance. None of the Tender locos stalled on tarnish rails while the 57XX Pannier did but not often. The Peco track outside and at the back of the shed still hasn't been cleaned so it does look as if all-Peco track will be the answer. The switch blades on Code 100 points have a wiper contact that slides under the stock rails to ensure improved electrical contact. This feature is not on Code 75 points although one could use micro switches of course.

I learned today that Father Christmas has put an LMS 8F in his sack, lucky me, and so I will now be able to test out DCkits new 8F chip in the LMS 2-6-4T, and if the bass speaker cannot be enticed to fit then it can go in the 8F...!  I have always liked the 8F's and it will be put to good use on the Warrington Crosfield Chemical trains.

will that be a Swindon built 8F?

will that be a Swindon built 8F?

Heck no. No ejector without a pipe and skew-wiff lamp brackets on this beastie.  The sight of this clean LM Region loco will have the 4mm Croes Newydd shedmaster frothing at the mouth seeing as I have weathered all the W.Region locos!

SNIPPED

The sight of this clean LM Region loco will have the 4mm Croes Newydd shedmaster frothing at the mouth seeing as I have weathered all the W.Region locos!

I really must make ammends, and make some clean WR locos for Croes Newydd! ;)

I haven't done much to this one yet!

post-12119-0-35870600-1450358482_thumb.jpg

Wheras this one is due a clean...

post-12119-0-24059800-1450358649_thumb.jpg

This one should be kept a bit cleaner? (Escaped from OOC?)

post-12119-0-11525100-1450358733_thumb.jpg

This one is pretty clean!

post-12119-0-11955100-1450359295_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-74963400-1450359276_thumb.jpg

More clean ones...so far...

post-12119-0-72410800-1450358979_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-98577600-1450359048_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-50461600-1450359158_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-10951900-1450359311_thumb.jpg

post-12119-0-49100800-1450359306_thumb.jpg

This feature is not on Code 75 points although one could use micro switches of course.

I learned today that Father Christmas has put an LMS 8F in his sack, lucky me, and so I will now be able to test out DCkits new 8F chip in the LMS 2-6-4T, and if the bass speaker cannot be enticed to fit then it can go in the 8F...!  I have always liked the 8F's and it will be put to good use on the Warrington Crosfield Chemical trains.

On the Friday evening of the Manchester show, Charlie was good enough to give me a really good demo of the 8F sound decoder, boy! was it good!?!

No! It was fantastic!!!

I didn't get to sell that much of my old carp otherwise I would have bought one and a model 8F to put it in! Enjoy yours very much!

As to Peco code 75 points, I do the "DCC" conversion on them, snip off the Peco wiring, electrically connect the stock rails to the diverging rails and feed the frog via a micro-switch or similar - much improved reliability! I never trust the peco sliding tabs, they always fail after a few months!

Cheers,

John.

Your never satisfied are you Larry. :scratchhead: :good:  

True. After an afternoon of moving coal on PGH's newly converted DCC colliery layout, 'sound' opened the door to endless possibilities and I knew then that Ellesmere, which started as a simple byeway from Wrexham, needed to be part of a main route. Imagine the Oswestry-Whitchurch line as a red-route. I might introduce an incline to make DCC-sound more interesting. 

Larry

With up and down, fast and slow lines? Think of the WR Kings, Castles, Halls, Granges, Dukedogs, Prairies of various sizes, a variety of pannier tanks all with sound ......................... :yes: :yes:

Regards,

Dave

Hi Jinty. I had seen a GWR 2-8-0T at Llangollen last Spring and came home full of admiration for this class, hence the purchase. But at that time DCC was far from my mind let alone sound chips. It is different now and I have to seriously consider how essential a loco is to Ellesmere before splashing out on sound. I have no less than three 'Halls' but they were gifts. Nevertheless, chipping them would be an expensive exercise when such considerations did not exist before.

Shrewsbury had a 42xx 2-8-0T in the late 50's 4212 - can you not just back date the 52xx with judicious use of the razor saw?

Shrewsbury had a 42xx 2-8-0T in the late 50's 4212 - can you not just back date the 52xx with judicious use of the razor saw?

It was kicked into touch after my palm was crossed with silver...............The Lanky 'A' Class 3F 0-6-0 Tender engine is also likely to be put on the transfer list before the end of the season......

I'm chuckling to myself here about 'common sense' because I know what next years plans are for Ellesmere ha ha    :yahoo:

Don't tell me. You're re-locating it to the West Riding of Yorkshire and turning it into the junction for the Oldham and Delph branches!!!!!

Happy Christmas,

Dave.

Don't tell me. You're re-locating it to the West Riding of Yorkshire and turning it into the junction for the Oldham and Delph branches!!!!!

Happy Christmas,

Dave.

Seasons Greeting Dave. My earlier layouts and involvement with writing the Delph book kind of identified me with the Pennines I suppose. In real life my interest in the railways around my birthplace and the Pennines dropped off in stages as modernization swept in during the 1950's. I had already 'discovered' the Cambrian Coast line on my own when I was 13 yrs old in 1955 and by 1960 when I was 'loaded' with money from the rock group and wages from day work, North Wales was my chosen destination during time out. Mary was already my partner even at that date and appreciated the trips among Welsh Scenery and seaside even if the Western Region was only of passing interest to her, and of course we moved to live in Wales in 1965. So no, I wont ever be modelling the West Riding of Yorkshire again......The area and those early years give us the creeps now when we look back!!! 

You've done it again Larry,

Every time I see your B & C coaches I know my layout intended to be late steam/early diesel has to be able to run in two periods so that I can run B & C trains

Superb pictures as always,

Happy Christmas,

Dave

Archived