Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Sacked over refusal to shave off beard

kevinlms

• RMweb Gold

Presumably this regulation was in place when he took the job, ie he knew what he was walking into? If so the ruling would appear to be fair.

Individuals' rights in the work place can be a minefield. One we had to deal with was a certain individual whose religion forbade him to use toilet facilities in the same way as others. He wasn't allowed (or didn't want to) clean up after himself either.

That nearly turned nasty I can tell you, fortunately the guy resigned eventually.

My question did have an innocent intention behind it.

I included the devil emoticon in the hope that people would understand that I was being somewhat mischievous, but at the same time was interested in the replies.

As for the reason why I do shave. I just don't like the spiky feel of my face if I don't, it is as simple as that.

I know that I started shaving when I was a teenager due to all the persistent "bumfluff" jibes from friends, and it just carried on from then. I seem to have touched a nerve in some quarters, so I will leave it at that.

• RMweb Gold

Three reasons why I don't shave:

1 to hide too many chins

2 nose is too far from mouth so I look like a tortoise

3 I'm too damned lazy

If someone with a beard could tell me of the genuine benefits they gain from a hairy face, then I would be interested to know (honest!). 

:devil:

As Ian and others allude to it does work wonders with women.

In Muslim countries it does also carry some status and I was often regarded as a holy man at work.

Bernard

Our stupid MPs made the Sikhs a "race" rather than a religion when they passed the law exempting them from wearing motor cycle helmets, sometime around the late sixties I believe. The stupid idiots seemed to think that Sikhs would be protected by their long uncut hair, but of course they are not a race apart, and many older guys will be bald underneath their turbans. I've always thought it racist to value their safety less than others.

On London Underground I was once accused of racism by a Muslim whose beard was apparently the optimum length as decreed by the prophet. As his manager, when advising him about career prospects, I said I would like to groom him for a supervisory position . He made a complaint that this meant I wanted his beard trimmed!  

A better way of dealing with religious hair styles came about when a new clothing store manager was appointed. A West Indian ticket collector had "become a Rastafarian" and grown dreadlocks, and gleefully reported he was now unable to wear his cap. His joy was short lived when the new clothing manager offered to obtain custom made caps of any size on receipt of a memo with the measurements. Myself and the staff looked forward to seeing him with what would have been a gargantuan edifice on his head, but were disappointed when, a few days later, he lost his Rastafarian beliefs, and succumbed to a standard issue cap.      

When I was in the fire brigade we were not allowed to grow a beard but a tash was OK, our BA sets worked on positive pressure so there had to be a seal. Since I have left the brigade I have treated myself to a nicely trimmed goatee. The wife loves the look and has gone as far as banning certain treats if I as much mention shaving it off, plus I'm a lazy sod.

ATB,

Martyn.

The Iron Lady is alleged to have said that she'd never have a Minister with a beard. I often wondered exactly what she was implying by 'have'. However, further discussion about that is sure to bring this topic tumbling to its knees.........

[and yes, I've been drinking. But this place is generally safer than eBay after alcohol.....]

Tony 

Frankly, as the employee concerned offered a practical, out-of-his own pocket solution to the problem I think the company are just being unnecessarily inflexible.

There again, that's pretty much all you expect from a large, Western Corporate body these days.

• RMweb Premium

IIRC up to the First World War (possibly due to gas masks) it was compulsory for a British soldier to have a beard!

Gareth

The 1881 regulations stated that beards could only be grown by pioneer serjeants of infantry battalions and men who had served in the Crimea war. Men who for some medical reason are also excused shaving. These were still the regulations when I was in the army in the 1970s. The use of NCB respirators is the main reason for a shaven face so that there is good seal. The Royal Navy has respirators desgined for men with beards.

• RMweb Gold

I can't ever break through the two day barrier.  It's all the complaints about chafed thighs that do it.

What's a 2 day barrier.....

Speaking as someone who can go from freshly shaved to a full set in 10 days!

I only just removed a beard of almost ZZ Top attributes (for medical reasons).

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

I have never understood why some men grow beards. Is it because they don't like shaving, or some other reason?

I never consider shaving to be an inconvenience, as I would be in the bathroom anyway and how long does it take - 3 minutes, max? Ok so I have to purchase a razor and some squirty shaving foam, but I do not see that as a chore, any more than purchasing shampoo or shower gel.

If someone with a beard could tell me of the genuine benefits they gain from a hairy face, then I would be interested to know (honest!). 

:devil:

I am so ugly without a beard that my wife would divorce me if I shaved it off. Then again, my job does not require me to be clean shaven, so if I had to be clean shaven for my job then my wife would go along with that.

Like wearing a turban exempts you from wearing a helmet?

What if you're an astronaut?

A firm in Kent has just brought out a safety helmet in the shape of a turban, apparently approved by Sikhs, for use on motorbikes and other leisure and sport activities, called the Turbanator (honest, look it up!). This is ironic given that the H&S exemption on turbans for building sites is being extended to all other workplaces (bar the military and emergency services) from October. How long before they bring out a version suitable for industrial use?

Another case of the law being behind the technology.

I wouldn't have the effrontery, or indeed lack of self-worth to claim that my beard was "who I am" and an inalienable right. I've been bearded at times, and clean shaven at others, over the years as the mood took me and circumstances allowed, I often go unshaven when working in Arctic conditions, for example. I have enjoyed going for a shave working in parts of Asia and North Africa, in the past.

I last shaved off a beard about twelve years ago, to wear BA if required and because my daughter thought I looked like a badger. These days I look more like Cap'n Birdseye so perhaps I'll try a neatly-trimmed "full set" at some point

I was always opposed to allowing Sikhs exemption from helmet laws. I always believed it was not stupidity, but deliberate misrepresentation by Parliament with ulterior motives, and see no reason to change that view at this time.

• RMweb Premium

I have a full beard, my electric razor went 'belly up' not long after I retired 7 years ago and I never replaced it, I have purchased a beard trimmer however. As anyone with a beard will confirm, keeping it tidy and neat takes a lot more effort than scraping your face every morning.

• RMweb Premium

Many companies have strict dress codes and the arrangement is you accept that as a condition of employment or work somewhere else. In this case it is a question of safety. I think a lot of this stems from a political decision to start treating religions are racial groups, which is absurd. One is the result of biological chance resulting from who our parents were and which cannot be altered, the other is a belief/faith which any individual can choose to believe or otherwise. To conflate the two concepts is neither helpful nor sensible in my opinion. And yes, I say that as a practising Christian myself, I certainly wouldn't expect any opt outs from safety regulations based on me suddenly being reclassified from Caucasian to Christian in race.

You have a beard but shave your legs. . . . . . kinky. . .

No.

Racing cyclists shave their legs.

Had a beard and shaved legs for many a long year and now that Wiggins fellow has adopted the same fashion.

Feels good to b a trend setter.

Bernard

Racing cyclists have beards, shave their legs AND walk about in dayglo spandex shorts. 'Nuff said.

Enoch Powell was entirely correct, if you take the trouble to read his much-misrepresented speech in full, and especially if you take it in context. It was evident from the outset that the race relations laws were framed to allow the then-new principle by which a person could be criminalised on the unsupported word of a second, or even third party, and upon a charge which was wholly subjective and incapable of either subjective proof, or effective defence, and specifically intended to work in one direction only.

As a part of this, the terms "race", "religion" and "culture" were confused and conflated or separated as the moment required. Refer to Orwell's classic description of Winston Smith "shrinking before O'Brien's mad, unanswerable arguments" in the cellars of the Ministry of Love, and his descriptions of terms like duckspeak, blackwhite and of course doublethink.

Archived