Please do Jez, it's going to look superb when all that printed track becomes real!

It's all way beyond what i have the time and skill for at the moment, but one day after cutting my teeth on smaller projects I'd love to take on a similarly ambitious large station, and I think handbuilt track is the only way to do it justice.

Please do Jez, it's going to look superb when all that printed track becomes real!

It's all way beyond what i have the time and skill for at the moment, but one day after cutting my teeth on smaller projects I'd love to take on a similarly ambitious large station, and I think handbuilt track is the only way to do it justice.

Thank you. There's still a fair way to go before the templot plan is covered with track . Hopefully the end result will look good.

• Like 1

Good evening,

No layout update just yet but I thought I would mention that Euston has kindly been invited to the Railex North Eastern Exhibition taking place on the 10th and 11th December 2016. I'm really looking forward to taking the layout up there. Thank you again to Chris Stafford of the Blyth and Tyne Model Railway Society for the invite.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 5

Good evening,

No layout update just yet but I thought I would mention that Euston has kindly been invited to the Railex North Eastern Exhibition taking place on the 10th and 11th December 2016. I'm really looking forward to taking the layout up there. Thank you again to Chris Stafford of the Blyth and Tyne Model Railway Society for the invite.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I am looking forward to seeing 'Euston' at RAILEX NE next year. I am sure it will be superb, as from the pictures you have posted the track work looks superb.

For anyone wishing to visit us this year full details are on our website - www.railexne.com

Regards

Chris Stafford

• Like 1

Good afternoon,

I spent a good few hours this morning working on the slip. While it is not quite finished yet, it seems to be coming along well so far. Here are some progress shots which I took while adding the newest sections.

Vee crossings to each end in place.

post-10222-0-42923600-1445177106_thumb.jpeg

Turnout rail for the slip added.

post-10222-0-99827800-1445177270_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-27202500-1445177303_thumb.jpeg

Crossing blade filed smooth to one end. This takes up a fair amount of time so it sits perfectly flush with the stock rail.

post-10222-0-87359400-1445177810_thumb.jpeg

And with the plastic chairs added.

post-10222-0-22353900-1445178140_thumb.jpeg

And then added to the turnout with the first part of the switch diamond added.

post-10222-0-22823200-1445178270_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-92807700-1445178289_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-69200700-1445178307_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-83151600-1445178326_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-86355600-1445178343_thumb.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 9

Nope not the moving bit, this bit circled in red.

attachicon.gifSingle slip.jpg

Ah, I see which bit you mean now. Here is a screen grab from the Euston shunts video that I'm working off. The switches touch the kinked part of the stock rail and then switch depending on which path through the diamond is required. I hope I've got this right as I'm not sure now.

post-10222-0-37903000-1445188916.png

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

There are such things however getting those to work in 2mm scale wont be easy as there is virtually no tolerance for the opposing rails to miss each other and line up correctly with the kink. Plus you need 4 point motors to do that instead of 2.

I decided to use the jig that I use to file the rails down to form the Vee as I thought that if I can get two perfectly fitting 1-7 Vee sections to fit together then it must work for the diamond rails as the angle is the same. So I used the jig and it filed it to the perfect angle so it joins the kink really nicely. A bit lucky really!

You are right about the motors though, it's going to be expensive as, like you say, 4 are required and I think I have 7 or 8 of these turnouts to do.

With regards to the tolerances, you're right, it's going to be tight and if it doesn't work, I'll have to adjust them to the normal diamonds and omit the switches. It would be a shame if I have to go down that route although it would make it all a little simpler.

Best regards,

Jeremy

I dont want to put a downer on it but I cant see how in the world they will ever miss each other as they are coming to the same point with one moving one way and one the other. There would have to be a delay between the two in order to work. One moves, then the other. Its doable though for sure.

Edited by RBE

I dont want to put a downer on it but I cant see how in the world they will ever miss each other as they are coming to the same point with one moving one way and one the other. There would have to be a delay between the two in order to work. One moves, then the other. Its doable though for sure.

I think that's going to be the only way with the switches moving one after the other.

Indeed. I think I would still go for the standard slip though as less moving parts mean more reliability.

Switched diamonds are usually on 1 in 8 and above crossings, I think that you mentioned 1 in 7 so you could get away with fixed diamonds. Switched diamonds on the old mechanical days used one lever and a rocker at the diamond.

If I went for the fixed diamonds it wouldn't be prototypical but the fixed option is appealing. Would it be noticeable in 2mm?

The two types are visibly different but the question is, do you want it exactly as the real one or do you want it less complicated/more reliable? It would take a special person to know what types the slips are at euston in any case so its up to you really. There are compromises in your plan already, the one I just noticed was where the point beside the slip in question starts, yours starts much later. I'm not sure what I would do in your position tbh.

The two types are visibly different but the question is, do you want it exactly as the real one or do you want it less complicated/more reliable? It would take a special person to know what types the slips are at euston in any case so its up to you really. There are compromises in your plan already, the one I just noticed was where the point beside the slip in question starts, yours starts much later. I'm not sure what I would do in your position tbh.

There have been several compromises and I've noticed a slight error on the other side of the station which I need to sort out before laying the track. All part of the fun!

I'm going to seriously consider the fixed diamonds, I think the reliability is also important.

• RMweb Gold

If I went for the fixed diamonds it wouldn't be prototypical but the fixed option is appealing. Would it be noticeable in 2mm?

In a project of this size I doubt anyone would notice the substitution for a fixed crossing unless they were intimately familiar with the real location.

I'm sure a reliable method of operating the crossing as you have started to model it could be created with a little thought, but the question is would you be happy with the compromise of simplicity over realism if you opted for the fixed version?

Excellent work so far with the track work though, looking forward to watching it progress!

Tom. 

Edited by TomE

Good afternoon,

I spent a good few hours this morning working on the slip. While it is not quite finished yet, it seems to be coming along well so far. Here are some progress shots which I took while adding the newest sections.

Vee crossings to each end in place.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Turnout rail for the slip added.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Crossing blade filed smooth to one end. This takes up a fair amount of time so it sits perfectly flush with the stock rail.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

And with the plastic chairs added.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

And then added to the turnout with the first part of the switch diamond added.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

And I have trouble with a PECO point, I would dread to think what would happen if I attempted something like this. I will say it again, your track work is looking great.

In a project of this size I doubt anyone would notice the substitution for a fixed crossing unless they were intimately familiar with the real location.

I'm sure a reliable method of operating the crossing as you have started to model it could be created with a little thought, but the question is would you be happy with the compromise of simplicity over realism if you opted for the fixed version?

Excellent work so far with the track work though, looking forward to watching it progress!

Tom.

Thanks Tom. The fixed diamonds would be easier for sure but having thought about it a little more this evening, even if there are some who are not familiar with the setup of the station, I would always know myself that it wasn't quite prototypical if I go down the fixed diamond route.

So I'm going to stick with the switch diamonds as originally planned unless it poses real operational problems further down the line. It would be very easy to switch them to fixed diamonds as the plastic chairs can be lifted fairly easily and adjusted.

How is Ropley coming along? I've always been very impressed with your work.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 3