Just to confirm, this is camden shed?

I trust you are referring to the layout and not the building in the photograph which I take to be Camden carriage sheds.

This layout is called Camden Bank although there is another called Camden Shed.

Camden Bank is not an exhibition layout being built by an individual in EM and is an extremely accurate model of the climb out of Euston including the dive under and 4th rail DC lines and all fully signalled.

My photographs are over 3 years old and the layout fabulous as it was then has obviously progressed.

I attach another couple of images again from 2012 showing the part of the layout which includes the Camden shed under construction.

post-2371-0-52170500-1442354108_thumb.jpeg

..and the carriage sheds.

post-2371-0-02759500-1442354148_thumb.jpg

..lever frames under construction.

post-2371-0-10823700-1442354215_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

The picture of the carriage sheds - I recognise that now - I was pulling into Euston yesterday and saw the remnants of the girders that went over the tracks just before the carriage shed.  Just a couple of tracks now where the carriage shed was.

How things have changed right enough.

It sometimes takes a landmark to know where you are in relation to old photographs of once complex locations.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

First bit of rail went down tonight. Having threaded on the plastic chairs to the rails a couple of nights ago, I was now ready to fix it into position with some bullhead sleepers either side.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

My latest addition to the rolling stock fleet arrived today. An intercity liveried MK3 DVT. I'll remove the coupling and add the extra detailing parts to the front buffer beam at the weekend.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Post #95 you wrote that you would be using copperclad for the pointwork. But you seem to have found some suitable plastic based system???

Post #95 you wrote that you would be using copperclad for the pointwork. But you seem to have found some suitable plastic based system???

Hi,

The plan was to use copper clad but upon closer inspection of the track work at Euston, it appears to be entirely made up of bullhead rail which doesn't mix with copper clad sleepers in 2mm. Had it been flat bottom that would have been ok. So yes, I'm going for the plastic stuff, which, is probably better as you get the chairs on the turnouts which you don't with the soldered stuff. It just takes longer as you have to thread the individual chairs onto the rail prior to fixing in place.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 4

Decided to have a bash at fixing the air dam into position tonight on the DVT.

Having studied a few photos to check that 82116 carried this, I proceeded to remove the coupling. From studying photos, most of the DVT's started life with the air dam however it seems that either some never had it or they were quickly removed by 1989-1990

Coupling removed..

post-10222-0-16655400-1442527988_thumb.jpg

The air dam comes as a separate part in the "bag of bits".

post-10222-0-20734000-1442528086_thumb.jpg

And here it is glued into position. It's not quite the same shade of white as the rest of the coach but with a bit of weathering it shouldn't be too noticeable.

post-10222-0-61700600-1442528139_thumb.jpg

I'm still unsure as to why Dapol added the light clusters in a chrome colour. They were clear in Intercity days. Maybe I'll touch them in in black just to blend them a bit better. Should help the appearance of the front end.

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

That's a really good photo and an angle that I haven't yet come across. Plenty of detail there and certainly very helpful. Thanks for posting!

I take it these two sidings were for stabling locos for the mail trains or were they actively used for loading?

Best regards,

Jeremy

I couldn't see an answer to this old question so - these sidings are marked on early diagrams of new Euston as Restaurant Car docks. Don't know if they ever go used to restock restaurant cars or if they did when did they stop doing that. In the days of intensive use of coach sets it would seem an unusual thing to split the restaurant car out.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

I couldn't see an answer to this old question so - these sidings are marked on early diagrams of new Euston as Restaurant Car docks. Don't know if they ever go used to restock restaurant cars or if they did when did they stop doing that. In the days of intensive use of coach sets it would seem an unusual thing to split the restaurant car out.

Rob

I have been looking into this a bit since those photos of the spectacular Camden Bank layout were posted.

As you say, modern railway working is completely different with trains arriving, being quickly serviced at the platform, and then departing again. At the pre-electrification Euston, nearly all long-distance trains would have been taken out of the station as ECS and returned later as ECS with, in many cases a changed formation. As many of these were taken out to Willesden, it resulted in a taking up of capacity on the tracks that would simply not be possible with today's train frequencies. And that is before we even take stock of slow-moving freight joining from the North London Line at Primrose Hill.

Before electrification, there were two sidings coming from the south end of the "backing up roads" which were referred to as "refuelling sidings". I think that this relates to refilling the fuel tanks of dining cars (gas or parafin). These sidings disappeared at the time of electrification but I am not sure that all dining cars in use on WCML would have had electric cooking facilities by then. So I think that there may have been a fairly brief period when restaurant cars were refuelled at this new location (where there used to be a turntable).

I trust you are referring to the layout and not the building in the photograph which I take to be Camden carriage sheds.

This layout is called Camden Bank although there is another called Camden Shed.

Camden Bank is not an exhibition layout being built by an individual in EM and is an extremely accurate model of the climb out of Euston including the dive under and 4th rail DC lines and all fully signalled.

My photographs are over 3 years old and the layout fabulous as it was then has obviously progressed.

I attach another couple of images again from 2012 showing the part of the layout which includes the Camden shed under construction.

attachicon.gifDSC_1228.jpeg

..and the carriage sheds.

attachicon.gifDSC_1222.jpg

..lever frames under construction.

attachicon.gifDSC_1213.jpg

sorry about that mistake, but not many people make high standard models of locations round that area. Really good layout though, and if the owner ever gets bored they can get rid of some structures, add OHLE, remove the central rail and use AC electrics with 501's or 313's!

Matthew

Good morning,

The track work is coming along slowly. I did a little more work on it last night. I've continued laying some more sleepers for the turnouts and have added some more rail as I go. Tonight I plan to fix the plastic chairs down to the second turnout.

Here is the latest progress shot.

post-10222-0-80051700-1442995200_thumb.jpg

I have also adjusted the air dam on the MK3 DVT and it looks much better now.

post-10222-0-38737000-1442995265_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 13

Jamie92208 very kindly obtained a copy of this fantastic book detailing the Euston station reconstruction. A very interesting read with some nice photos showing the old station and the various stages of reconstruction. Certainly very useful for the model, thanks again Jamie for obtaining a copy of this for me.

post-10222-0-56232000-1443010337_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

An interesting observation that you're laying the sleepers in the "white space" in that last picture, whereas when I tried building a point kit in O gauge I was laying the sleepers on the printed marks that I assumed were sleeper spaces.

I wonder if that's why my attempt at pointbuilding failed dismally...?

An interesting observation that you're laying the sleepers in the "white space" in that last picture, whereas when I tried building a point kit in O gauge I was laying the sleepers on the printed marks that I assumed were sleeper spaces.

I wonder if that's why my attempt at pointbuilding failed dismally...?

I guess the possible reason why the sleepers are being laid in the sleeper spacing gaps rather than where the sleepers are, is to do with making the plan. The designer has left a too bigger gap between where the turnout ends and the plain track starts. For those using RTR plain track this is not a problem as its is used as a guide to laying preformed track, if each sleeper is being laid separately, then the plan should have been adjusted accordingly. Nothing wrong with what the builder is doing as he is adjusting the build to compensate for the previous error

I guess the possible reason why the sleepers are being laid in the sleeper spacing gaps rather than where the sleepers are, is to do with making the plan. The designer has left a too bigger gap between where the turnout ends and the plain track starts. For those using RTR plain track this is not a problem as its is used as a guide to laying preformed track, if each sleeper is being laid separately, then the plan should have been adjusted accordingly. Nothing wrong with what the builder is doing as he is adjusting the build to compensate for the previous error

Absolutely right! I didn't shuffle the sleepers around on the plan so I'm just adjusting as I go which will look fine once finished. The turnouts are the only parts where the sleepers are being laid separately. I experimented once by laying the sleepers on the straight runs and then trying to thread the track through the chairs and it was a nightmare with rail bending and then eventually ripping off the chairs. So for the straight runs I just thread on all the sleepers, which are already separated to the correct measurement as they come in sprues of 5, and then fix into position and adjust to be in line with the plan.