I guess there must be an opportunity for some unusual workings being railtours as well...

I'll need to research that unless anyone has any photographic evidence of any late 80's/early 90's railtours.

I wonder if the weed killing train ever came to Euston with a pair of 20's?

You might want to get hold of the appropriately named 'This is Euston' Anbrico Felix Jazz DVD. Some rather interesting bits towards the end including a twelve coach 'Clacton' on a shoppers special to Preston.

Edited by jonathan452

You might want to get hold of the appropriately named 'This is Euston' Anbrico Felix Jazz DVD. Some rather interesting bits towards the end including a twelve coach 'Clacton' on a shoppers special to Preston.

Already got that one thanks (post #105). It's a great DVD! Thanks for mentioning it though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That looks quite big ... or is the layout not planned to be portable/exhibitable?

Jeremy covered that back a  few posts. The track layout is such that there is not any easy place to put a join between more than one baseboard. But you are right that it is going to be a bit of a brute to transport to shows.

More than that though, I would be worried about that type of baseboard construction on that big a board. Very difficult to make it rigid enough.

That looks quite big ... or is the layout not planned to be portable/exhibitable?

I pondered the baseboards for sometime and looking at the plan, I was struggling to find a place to make this scenic board into two due to the number of turnouts. There didn't seem to be a good place to split it. So I decided to go for three quite large boards. This one will be 195cm x 135cm. If I were lucky enough to be invited to an exhibition, I'm sure I could hire a small van to transport it. To be honest, it would be amazing to exhibit the layout but I think it will be sometime before it gets to that stage.

Who knows!

Best regards,

Jeremy

More than that though, I would be worried about that type of baseboard construction on that big a board. Very difficult to make it rigid enough.

Once the templot plan is down, I plan to add some additional supports underneath as I'll have a better idea of where the turnouts will be positioned on the board so the supports and turnouts will not interfere with each other. Well, that's the theory anyway!

so overall are we looking at 600cm scenic length?? or are the other 2 boards different lengths?

sorry.......or 585cm for the pedants!

The what I call "train shed" board will be an additional 200cm on the one I am currently building above. Then there will be the fiddle yard which I haven't designed yet but will probably be around 200cm long as well.

Total scenic area will be 395cm.

Like you say, around 600cm in total.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Once the templot plan is down, I plan to add some additional supports underneath as I'll have a better idea of where the turnouts will be positioned on the board so the supports and turnouts will not interfere with each other. Well, that's the theory anyway!

As you're using Templot can I suggest that you make a mirror copy and stick it to the underside of the baseboard, this will not only help with positioning additional stiffness, but also the wiring and point motors etc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, it would be amazing to get an invite to the show but I can't see the layout being any where near finished by June. Although it would be fully functional by then.

Even in bare boards state, I am sure that it would be of great interest - especially at a show like DEMU which is more for modellers than general public.

But can you really get something like that, with such complex handbuilt trackwork, ready in that timescale? Wow!

A little bit of premature research on OHLE has been carried out this afternoon. The N Brass portals look really good and I think these could be modified to provide the wider spans required for Euston. There is a good variety and seem well priced when bought in the larger packs. I could scratch build my own register arms and solder these to fit. I haven't seen any good insulaters but there may be a way of making the somerfeldt ones fit as you can buy packs of these.

I'm a way off starting this but always good to gather some thoughts on it in advance.

Quick update. Here is the nearly finished board with the track plan laid out on it. The plan will be shuffled round a little and as you can see, there is a massive scenic area for me to tackle which will allow me to model all the flats that are on this patch of land. On the other side will be The Kennedy hotel.

post-10222-0-33812700-1441142245_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-19764900-1441142261_thumb.jpg

I think I will get the circular saw out and remove the areas that I have not covered with the ply. I seem to have slightly miscalculated the area required by 15cm on those two sides. D'oh!!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 9