An interesting observation that you're laying the sleepers in the "white space" in that last picture, whereas when I tried building a point kit in O gauge I was laying the sleepers on the printed marks that I assumed were sleeper spaces.

I wonder if that's why my attempt at pointbuilding failed dismally...?

It's not easy point building in any scale, especially in 2mm where everything is ultra fiddly. I've built and thrown away numerous common crossings as I just was not happy with the end result but eventually it works out and they become easier to build and the rolling stock will run (theoretically!) smoothly over the crossing.

• Like 1

Absolutely right! I didn't shuffle the sleepers around on the plan so I'm just adjusting as I go which will look fine once finished. The turnouts are the only parts where the sleepers are being laid separately. I experimented once by laying the sleepers on the straight runs and then trying to thread the track through the chairs and it was a nightmare with rail bending and then eventually ripping off the chairs. So for the straight runs I just thread on all the sleepers, which are already separated to the correct measurement as they come in sprues of 5, and then fix into position and adjust to be in line with the plan.

If you can be bothers Slide Through Peg will sort it out, though you may need to adjust the Peg position, still looks very good and will enjoy seeing you build the slips

• Like 1

Jez

The common crossing looks very good. Building these becomes easier the more you do.

I may be teaching you something you are very competent at doing though it may help others

For the Vee, I find making a simple jig (I use aluminium strip from B&Q), both to check the angles and keep the rails in place whilst soldering them together

Next I made a simple jig to hold the Vee in place whilst I soldered the wing/crossing rail in place

Looking at the fiNetrax kit I built I am full of admiration at your ability to build something so small

Jez

The common crossing looks very good. Building these becomes easier the more you do.

I may be teaching you something you are very competent at doing though it may help others

For the Vee, I find making a simple jig (I use aluminium strip from B&Q), both to check the angles and keep the rails in place whilst soldering them together

Next I made a simple jig to hold the Vee in place whilst I soldered the wing/crossing rail in place

Looking at the fiNetrax kit I built I am full of admiration at your ability to build something so small

Hi Hayfield,

Thankfully the 2mm association have a good selection of jigs. Here are the two I used. The one on the left is to create the Vee and the one on the right allows all the crossing sections to be put together and soldered. It makes the whole job far more simpler. All my crossings will be 1:7.

post-10222-0-90242800-1443285307_thumb.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

Hi Hayfield,

Thankfully the 2mm association have a good selection of jigs. Here are the two I used. The one on the left is to create the Vee and the one on the right allows all the crossing sections to be put together and soldered. It makes the whole job far more simpler. All my crossings will be 1:7.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Are you keeping then to 1-7 or have you several jigs, sorry for the questions but my knowledge of 2 mm is nearly zero

Just about to use a 4mm scale switch rail jig in anger for the first time

Are you keeping then to 1-7 or have you several jigs, sorry for the questions but my knowledge of 2 mm is nearly zero

Just about to use a 4mm scale switch rail jig in anger for the first time

I have several jigs ranging from 1:5 to 1:10. I went for 1:7 as they felt the most prototypical. Good luck with your track building. It can be really rewarding to see your trains running over hand built track work.

Good work so far! It should get quicker and easier, the more you do.

I find that the tighter the standards, the easier it is to build good pointwork. P4 and 2FS really are easier than EM, OO, OO9 etc in my experience. 2FS is the easiest, if only because you have far less filing to do! Scale is almost irrelevant because the really critical stuff can all be done with gauges and jigs.

Good work so far! It should get quicker and easier, the more you do.

I find that the tighter the standards, the easier it is to build good pointwork. P4 and 2FS really are easier than EM, OO, OO9 etc in my experience. 2FS is the easiest, if only because you have far less filing to do! Scale is almost irrelevant because the really critical stuff can all be done with gauges and jigs.

Thank you. I've never built track in any other gauge however I would like to have a bash at P4 one day.

• RMweb Gold

I now have evidence and an excuse for a freight train at Euston. Here is large logo class 47440 on ballast duties in 1989! Bang on the period too!

http://www.britishrailwayphotographs.com/p399715045/h3134129#h3134129

Engineering trains must get to all parts of the rail network. But that is not freight. And could you run any other trains if it is there during an engineering possession?

I think it would be more interesting to see what there would have been by way of ordinary goods vans on the many parcels trains. But that might take you back a bit from your chosen era.

Edited to add: Just noticed from that photo that there is both BH and FB rail.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell

Engineering trains must get to all parts of the rail network. But that is not freight. And could you run any other trains if it is there during an engineering possession?

I think it would be more interesting to see what there would have been by way of ordinary goods vans on the many parcels trains. But that might take you back a bit from your chosen era.

Edited to add: Just noticed from that photo that there is both BH and FB rail.

I need to find out a little more about ballast workings at Euston. Did the locos run around the train or were they reversed out of the terminus? Who knows. It could be that I could include it in a sequence with a slightly reduced service to represent engineering works. A bit of imagination required I think on this one. It would certainly make a nice contrast to the many passenger trains entering and departing the terminal.

The trackwork is mainly bullhead with one or two flat bottom sections. I will certainly be modelling them.

Time for a bit of an update. More track work has gone down over the last week or so with the sections of straight track into platforms one and two done. I've today completed my first turnout with just the check rails to go. I've also made a start on the first slip. Here are a couple of progress shots.

post-10222-0-24607000-1444496586_thumb.jpeg

post-10222-0-40762700-1444496653_thumb.jpeg

The test wagon runs nicely through the turnout!! Success!!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 11

What an excellent layout this is going to be! The turnouts look excellent with such finesse, and really go to show planning is key. :yes:

Great work!

Thanks,

Jack.

Edited by Jack374

Great work there Jeremy.

I don't know what some peoples problem is with 2mm/N scale. I guess that they are conditioned to think everything has to be 4mm scale to be good because its the first scale that most are introduced to, I find the backhanded congratulations a little condersending tbh, a bit like "wow that looks great, for 2mm".

I personally love 2mm/N and can with great skill be every bit as detailed as 4mm.

Edited by RBE

Great work there Jeremy.

I don't know what some peoples problem is with 2mm/N scale. I guess that they are conditioned to think everything has to be 4mm scale to be good because its the first scale that most are introduced to, I find the backhanded congratulations a little condersending tbh, a bit like "wow that looks great, for 2mm".

I personally love 2mm/N and can with great skill be every bit as detailed as 4mm.

My comment was merely to point out that there is nothing wrong with this layout, so I had simply tried to inject a hint of humour as - at least at our club - we have quite a lot of banter regarding scales. I'm sorry this offended you so I shall edit my post.

I think Jeremy's work is excellent, which is why I posted in the first place. I have absolutely nothing against 2mm, especially when modelled as finely as this. Apologies. Let's return to the layout.

Jack.

• Like 1