• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good evening,

Well it's been a while since I posted anything constructive. I've now finished the final draft of the templot plan, it needed tweaking a fair bit from what I though was my final draft, and I'll post some photos tonight or tomorrow (depending on what time our little chap heads off to bed!!). I'm quite pleased with how it has turned out and once glued down, it will just leave me the headache of building slips with switch diamonds. Never mind, it'll all be worth while I hope.

Does anybody know when Euston saw the arrival of HST's on the Holyhead services?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

...I had a great friend who when  he finally came to retirement and construction of his "layout of a lifetime" found that the extensive platform canopies on his layout meant that he could not see the trains properly. He was very disappointed.

I had much the same feeling when I saw Liverpool Lime Street at the last-ever Watford Finescale Show.

Does anybody know when Euston saw the arrival of HST's on the Holyhead services?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Summer 1991 on driver training & ready for the Winter 1991 timetable.

*I used to bring them to a stand just outside Colwyn Bay, then give them a green so I could here them scream passed my box at Colwyn Bay!

• Like 4

Summer 1991 on driver training & ready for the Winter 1991 timetable.

*I used to bring them to a stand just outside Colwyn Bay, then give them a green so I could here them scream passed my box at Colwyn Bay!

Thanks for the info. They did sound good before they were re engined. Now they just sound like a class 156 or similar!

I may just have to stretch the timeline to 1991 just to accommodate a HST!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening all,

I've always been fond of AC electrics and have always wanted to build a layout based on the WCML. I really fancied doing a through station but I also fancied something a little different that hadn't been modelled quite so often. Having stumbled across some photos on Flickr of Euston station, I was hooked.

So, for the track plan, my first port of call was Google Earth which gave me the basis. Further reading indicated to me that the track layout had changed during 2004 - 2005 so further photos were sourced and studied, both on the web and on books. Finally a track layout that represented the 1980's was drawn up, which I feel is as accurate as possible.

Rolling stock will mainly be classes 85-87 hauling a mixture of MK1, MK2 and MK3 rolling stock in blue/grey and Intercity liveries. An NSE liveried rake will be made up for the Northampton Cobbler services. Class 90's will also make apppearances as they started to come into service in 1989. DVT's will also be modelled. On the EMU side of things, I hope to scratch build some class 317's and also 321's, tha latter will made up of 3D prints from shapeways. Third rail class 313's will also be modelled. There will also be mail/parcels trains leaving the station and a variety of loco movements in and out of the station with ECS workings.

Back to the trackplan, this was eventually drawn up using templot and then printed out onto A3 sheets of paper. The scenic part of the layout will measure around 1.9 meters, which spans from Hampstead Road overbridge to the start of the covered area of the station, which will also eventually be modelled.

All the catenary will be scratch built to as near accurate as possible, using guitar string for the wires as per Cav's (RBE on RMweb) superb Outen Road layout.

Here is the Templot plan roughly laid out on the floor showing the station area that is visible, leading up to the covered area. The layout will be a 2mm finescale layout, all track and turnouts will be hand built.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

More updates to follow.

Best regards,

Jeremy

I love the sound of this brave project!

As a former second man based at Euston between 1979 and 1981, this will bring back very happy memories of a great time!  There was always lots of light engine moves to and from Willesden TMD singlely or in tandem, plus release moves from the buffer stops onto the top of out going services. There was always a class 08 sitting under the Kennedy Hotel ticking over all night upsetting patrons trying to get a nights sleep! , Numerous class 25s moving BGs etc around the west side platforms beyond the centre holding siding. Local sevices were in the hands of Class 310 EMU and not forgetting the DC stock working the Watford DC lines.

So I am awaiting progress eagerly

Good luck

Bob C

• RMweb Premium

Just found tis thread. I spent many happy hours on the ends of the platforms at Euston in the 70's and loved seeing all the different varieties of Electrics. I've got some photos that I will need to scan but will try and post them. In the meantime I will watch the thread with interest. As someone who is scratch building OHLE in 7mmI don't envy you doing it in 2mm but wish you luck.

As to which plan to build I would got for Plan 1 but covering the platforms with the low roof that the new Euston has would make a model that would be difficult to view with interest. Perhaps an way forward wold be to do the buildings above the platforms as a sort of space frame in Perspex so that the loco movements could be seen.

Jamie

Just found tis thread. I spent many happy hours on the ends of the platforms at Euston in the 70's and loved seeing all the different varieties of Electrics. I've got some photos that I will need to scan but will try and post them. In the meantime I will watch the thread with interest. As someone who is scratch building OHLE in 7mmI don't envy you doing it in 2mm but wish you luck.As to which plan to build I would got for Plan 1 but covering the platforms with the low roof that the new Euston has would make a model that would be difficult to view with interest. Perhaps an way forward wold be to do the buildings above the platforms as a sort of space frame in Perspex so that the loco movements could be seen.Jamie

I quite like the idea of a Perspex roof. It would mean the trains would be more visible however I will need to super detail the interior.

Deffo the odd exec livered power car still about in '91 out of Padd, dunno out of Euston though, but I'd say it's plausible.  Just make sure the coaching stock is swallow and I'd say it would look about right.

Good luck with the turnout building!  Are you going to work exactly to 2mmFS and rewheel everything, or adopt a 2mmFS/N gauge hybrid?

Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm going for exact 2mmFS with rewheeled stock. Thanks for looking in.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Edited by cornish trains jez

So there's 6 slips, 22 turnouts and 1 three way turnout to build. All in 2mmFS. I must be bonkers!

Will be well worth it though!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy

At least you will be proficient by the end of them, seriously good luck with building them, what track construction method are you going to use

Jeremy

At least you will be proficient by the end of them, seriously good luck with building them, what track construction method are you going to use

Hi,

I'll be using a mixture of easitrac with copper clad sleepers for the turnouts. I've never soldered track to copper clad before as I've always used the plastic easitrac with chairs threaded individually onto the rails. I'm hoping the soldered option will save a little bit of time and still look good.

Best regards,

Jeremy

You'll never look back. You can knock turnouts out in no time with copper clad. The main issue of course is a lack of chairs. I find it unacceptable in 4mm scale but in N/2mm it is far less noticable. The fact that its fine true height rail makes a much more noticable impact. Check out Eldavos Waton, that was entirely copper clad and that looks the biz.

Edited by RBE

(sorry - email amended!)

I have used chairplates made from thin metal strip for F/B turnouts. Apart from the slide chairs, the "chairs" on F/B track should hardly be viewable at any distance.

2mm Scale Association copperclad concrete style sleepers for plain track are actually thicker than plain sleepers, so you would not need to pack under the rail to get it up to normal Easitrac height.

Edited by Echo

• RMweb Gold

This looks like it is really going to be good! I have never seen an attempt of a large london terminus before - somcant wait to see the progress...

There have been at least two N gauge models of Kings Cross. But neither of them came close to the ambition of this project. Those pictures of the templates with trains standing on them make clear the size.

And as for double-slips with switched diamonds....I don't think too many people have even gone there in 4mm. I can only think of one.