Living on the line in Hertfordshire I grew up watching trains go by, steam first, then the excitement of seeing the first diesels then the sadness of the demise of steam coupled with the electrification scheme. My favourite period is the early (electra?) blue scheme.

Then spent several years through the 70's and 80's commuting to Euston, often wondering what it would be like to model full length trains, always looking at what was in the sidings after we past Wembley Central through to the electric shed at Willesden.

I now use the underground to go to London on the rare occasions, but used the semi fast into Euston in July. How the trains have changed, such a smooth ride. Very few coaches or wagons now in the sidings, which now looks abandoned. And the flora and fauna which is allowed to grow in and on the track continues to give the abandoned image of a run down railway

I am afraid my modelling interests lie elsewhere, but the old LNWR main line still is of interest

Living on the line in Hertfordshire I grew up watching trains go by, steam first, then the excitement of seeing the first diesels then the sadness of the demise of steam coupled with the electrification scheme. My favourite period is the early (electra?) blue scheme.

Then spent several years through the 70's and 80's commuting to Euston, often wondering what it would be like to model full length trains, always looking at what was in the sidings after we past Wembley Central through to the electric shed at Willesden.

I now use the underground to go to London on the rare occasions, but used the semi fast into Euston in July. How the trains have changed, such a smooth ride. Very few coaches or wagons now in the sidings, which now looks abandoned. And the flora and fauna which is allowed to grow in and on the track continues to give the abandoned image of a run down railway

I am afraid my modelling interests lie elsewhere, but the old LNWR main line still is of interest

Here is a photo from flickr taken 1966. The then new electric locos did look good in their original livery.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/steam60163/5555381792/in/photolist-9sUMsG-aVuxGg-9JMQMS-aVu8RP-9BWdpk-9tK9BE-76cMog-9tGhBn-9DwyB2-76gFG1-vYnESA-76gGjf-aVu9qD-9tGfZM-9tKcTN-9tKbad-9tGcvn-cCNVkQ-9yPXrH-9yTsdw-9tGmi2-9tKaX3-9tM8oE-9tGdV8-fqH5yA-9tGgmK-9tKf2j-9tJaX2-9tGfoz-dxFR7U-fNCmJs-9tKdoy-9tGeKK-fyXB6h-8mpCpM-9tKbMw-9tKaNd-9tGkTn-9tK9Mh-9tGeED-9tKaBN-9UYfim-9tGcX8-fJbDnb-gtt7zo-9tK8dJ-9tGaYM-9tGcF2-9tK9tL-9tK8X7

There are other ways round this.

Most stations, large and small, have distinct roles for certain platforms or groups of platforms, and often designed to reduce the amount of conflicting movements blocking multiple platforms to allow several trains to come and go at a time.  Let's split the station into distinct 'sections' - say platforms 1-4, 5-8 and 9+.

You have six sidings in your FY for each of your three station sections, each fanning out from a dedicated pair of "in" and "out" lines.

What takes the most space in FY's is the ladders of points for all platform lines to reach all fiddle yard lines.

I don't know the exact sequence at Euston so let's just say platforms 1-4 are long distance expresses, 5-8 are local services, 9+ are parcels and sleeper services.

So your FY 1-6 contain only long distance express rakes.  FY 7-12 contain only local services, and FY 13-18 contain only parcels, sleeper and miscellaneous stock.

You then don't have the hassle of everything from the station trying to get into every road of the fiddle yard, theoretically allowing you perhaps 4 or 5 trains moving at any one time (subject to operator capability, of course!).

You could make one siding of each set of 6 FY roads a removable cassette, for the odd train that may not go into its 'right' platform easily swappable between the sets of sidings, or those 'oddballs' like inspection saloons that you don't want taking up space most of the time.

I hope that makes sense?

I quite like this idea, thank you for posting it. It sounds like it could give me some flexibility especially with removable cassettes.

Edited by cornish trains jez

• RMweb Gold

There are other ways round this.

Most stations, large and small, have distinct roles for certain platforms or groups of platforms, and often designed to reduce the amount of conflicting movements blocking multiple platforms to allow several trains to come and go at a time.  Let's split the station into distinct 'sections' - say platforms 1-4, 5-8 and 9+.

You have six sidings in your FY for each of your three station sections, each fanning out from a dedicated pair of "in" and "out" lines.

What takes the most space in FY's is the ladders of points for all platform lines to reach all fiddle yard lines.

I don't know the exact sequence at Euston so let's just say platforms 1-4 are long distance expresses, 5-8 are local services, 9+ are parcels and sleeper services.

So your FY 1-6 contain only long distance express rakes.  FY 7-12 contain only local services, and FY 13-18 contain only parcels, sleeper and miscellaneous stock.

You then don't have the hassle of everything from the station trying to get into every road of the fiddle yard, theoretically allowing you perhaps 4 or 5 trains moving at any one time (subject to operator capability, of course!).

You could make one siding of each set of 6 FY roads a removable cassette, for the odd train that may not go into its 'right' platform easily swappable between the sets of sidings, or those 'oddballs' like inspection saloons that you don't want taking up space most of the time.

I hope that makes sense?

Really good point.

This does reflect the reality at Euston where the suburban and semi-fast services are concentrated in the centre of the station with the main line services either side. That may even open up the possibility of a central fiddleyard of terminating sidings with a loop round the outside so that trains leaving from the west side platforms can run round and into the east side platforms.

Really good point.

This does reflect the reality at Euston where the suburban and semi-fast services are concentrated in the centre of the station with the main line services either side. That may even open up the possibility of a central fiddleyard of terminating sidings with a loop round the outside so that trains leaving from the west side platforms can run round and into the east side platforms.

The outside loop idea is a good one - and presumably the "suburban and semi-fast" in the middle might well be shorter trains therefore you've got the chance to make more out of the space available.  It might also be possible for the outer loops themselves to be 4 long sidings (or 6, condensing down to two lines for the 'west' side of the loop and spreading out into 6 lines again on the 'east' side of the loop).

Although the sight of a long train snaking over multiple points on its way out of the station is an impressive sight, in most situations a lot of the 'line changing' is done in the final few miles approach to the station.  No reason of course why a few trains can't do this on the station throat (as is practical) but most trains would stay within their "block".

Really good point.

The problem with this is that the rakes with DVT's shouldn't turn as the the DVT is always at the London end

The suburban trains are made up of DC EMU units ( Class 313 ) which are 3 coach units, and AC units classes 317/321 which run in 4 car units off peak and 8 car at peak times.

The Cobbler sets can be up to 13 coaches and I've noticed the Pullmans and sleepers seem to be lengthy too. so I'll need some of the fiddle yard sidings to be really long.

I agree that the loop idea is a good one which could also comprise, say 3 to 4 sidings within the loop for the sleepers, long suburbans and cobbler sets. However, as said above, the DVT sets would not need to be turned.

Thank you for your ideas and please keep them coming as I think it's going to be essential to get this fiddle yard set up right so that it allows smooth and non complicated operation....well as least complicated as possible anyway!

Edited by cornish trains jez

Hi Cornish trans jez,  Hope you model of Euston works out well.   Bit of info that may be of use ( apologies if its already been mentioned earlier)    The DVT sets were mostly operated with the DVT/ first class at the London end of train,  , for 1st passengers not having to walk so far, and also to facilitate any loco changes that took place, which quite often happened when I was a driver  at Euston in the 90's.  On occasions, mostly at weekends some sets could get turned in the Birmingham area which would have the loco London end and DVT country end.   The sleeper services varied,  but when it was Scotrail, and motor rail service ended the Glasgow/Edinburgh trains and the Inverness, Aberdeen & Fort William trains were combined  and were loaded to 16 coaches.  usually worked with class 87's .  In early days of Privatisation, EWS supplied the loco's  class 90's  and worked by Virgin Trains drivers.

Regards

John

bigP

I forgot about the 'tail load' motor rails.  We had turns on the 08's,  or 'Jocko's' as we called them to shunt the vans   platform 16, 17 if I remember but stand to be corrected.

Regards

John

Yeah you probably did, it's not unusual for sets to end up the wrong way around, but the rule of thumb is that first class should be at the London end.  Makes for interesting moves when they need turning. 

Here's an interesting one for ya.  After the DVTs came in some southbound Motorail services had the Moto GUVs added at the Scottish end, sandwiching the loco within the train.  Presumably a Euston pilot would have been on hand to shunt them off for unloading upon arrival.

https://flic.kr/p/cY39xN

That's certainly an interesting movement. Typical of some formations in Switzerland, but with the motorail coaches swapped for some passenger coaches.

I meant to post this a few days ago but I've only just got round to trimming the latest printouts.

Here is the final final draft before I build the baseboards and fix the trackplans in place. Hope my three way turnout works out! Platform 7 now has a track running to it!

post-10222-0-97925400-1440711233_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-61210700-1440711263_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 8

This will be a great layout!

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what you have used as the track spacing. Is it based on the real thing, or have you used a standard Templot setting? The standard Templot 2mm finescale track spacing is a bit narrow for true 1/148 scale. I only ask because I am thinking of a similar, but smaller project with 2FS track and N gauge stock.

This will be a great layout!

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what you have used as the track spacing. Is it based on the real thing, or have you used a standard Templot setting? The standard Templot 2mm finescale track spacing is a bit narrow for true 1/148 scale. I only ask because I am thinking of a similar, but smaller project with 2FS track and N gauge stock.

I have used the standard templot setting and will be rewheeling all of my stock to finescale standards.