The latest addition to the rolling stock fleet yesterday. Following a tip off from Simon (87023Velocity on RMweb), that the Kermow model centre were dishing these out at a bargain £39.99, I couldn't resist. The 86 will need a respray and some new etched buffers which I already have.

Thanks again Simon for the heads up on this one!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

No probs.

Kernow are quick at sending orders out. Postman did try to deliver Saturday morning but we were out. Hopefully will collect tomorrow from the local sorting office. Managed to get a FL grey and a FL green 86, with the 2 dummy locos that I already have, thats my FL trains sorted for now.

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

does anyone do pro N gauge repaints for these types???  any examples of their work?

For N/2FS look no further than Ian Clenton at Mercig Studios:

http://www.mercigstudios.com/gallery/28/class-86

He's a real artist and his detailing work is excellent. Not necessarily the cheapest but certainly the best.

David

yes ill follow this one.......sounds terrifically ambitious.  i m looking forward to seeing the stock.

the new graham farish mk2f coaches should really add to the realism of the trains.

Cheers. I'm looking forward to the MK2 air cons too. I could do with about 40 of them when they come out but I doubt very much that the wallet will stretch anywhere near that!

• RMweb Premium

Snap. 

Sad as this may sound you could try what I'm doing and start a savings plan.  Seriously sad I know, but hey, needs must.

Given the OO version isn't with us yet I reckon they're at least 18 months away in N, if not more.  £50 a month, x 18, gives you £900.  That's nearly 40 mk2s. 

Now I just have to spend less on beer, sweets and CostalottaCoffee.  Every time I go to buy some I have to summon the will power and put the money aside.  Put aside anything I would spend on other impulse purchases and it soon starts adding up!  I've been doing this all year and have saved more than enough to get two rakes of NSE mk2As that are about to be upon us.  Cha-ching

Hi

Not as sad as you might think. I've been doing this for years so that when the new release I want arrives I have the funds to pay for it.

Cheers

Paul

Snap. 

Sad as this may sound you could try what I'm doing and start a savings plan.  Seriously sad I know, but hey, needs must.

Given the OO version isn't with us yet I reckon they're at least 18 months away in N, if not more.  £50 a month, x 18, gives you £900.  That's nearly 40 mk2s. 

Now I just have to spend less on beer, sweets and CostalottaCoffee.  Every time I go to buy some I have to summon the will power and put the money aside.  Put aside anything I would spend on other impulse purchases and it soon starts adding up!  I've been doing this all year and have saved more than enough to get two rakes of NSE mk2As that are about to be upon us.  Cha-ching

This is an excellent idea which I must put into practice if I'm ever to get enough MK2's. I'm not going to bother buying the current Farish MK2's. I already have a rake and I'll just use that until the new tooled versions arrive. I'll of course be building up some nice mixed liveried rakes of MK3's in the meanrtime.

Looking forward to seeing your progress, you don't see too many large stations being modelled.  My dream layout would be Newcastle Central in the late 1970s but it will take a lottery win for that to happen...

John

Hi John,

That would be a cracking project. Plenty of variety of stock to choose from too. Why not give it a go?

Best regards,

Jeremy

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your comment. I have a fair amount of space for the fiddle yard but I'm unsure as to what would be the best method. I need something that would give me the least hassle but at the same time would be the easiest to operate. Feel free to post some ideas.

Best regards,

Jeremy

I suppose it all depends on how you plan to operate the layout and how "realistic" you aim to be. For example, once a loco leaves at the head of a (say) Birmingham train, do you aim not to re-use the same set in the sequence until it has had time to get to Birmingham & back or are you happy for the rakes to depart the station and re-appear as soon as that formation is next required to arrive?

I think you'd need to much storage and have too much fiddling to do the former.

Are you happy to see the same loco over again, much more frequently than in practice?

So I think your next step is to work out how many train sets/locos you need and let that be the determining factor for the fiddle yard design.

I don't know if multi-track cassettes would work. You could then have arrival and departure cassettes, turning them as required between departures and arrivals. From memory I think the daytime hourly schedule required a couple of B'ham/Wolves trains, a Scottish, a Manchester, a Liverpool and a Chester/Holyhead/Carlisle/Blackpool (or similar) - or am I going too far back to the initial electrification service? The station would probably require at least one of each of those trains to be visible at all times. So you probably need two of each (three for the B/ham's) with one in the station and one in the fiddle yard. Throw in the inner and outer suburbans - you might get away with a single DC trainset - and that could dictate the fiddle yard storage.

I wonder if you could survive with a traverser style (with a facility to incorporate at least one cassette), possibly with a means of moving the locos from one end of the train to the other?

• Like 1

Hi John,

That would be a cracking project. Plenty of variety of stock to choose from too. Why not give it a go?

Best regards,

Jeremy

Just too big (in P4 at least), width would certainly be an issue let alone the length.  My current plans for South Pelaw Junction are going to need 40' * 15', plenty big enough :)

John

I suppose it all depends on how you plan to operate the layout and how "realistic" you aim to be. For example, once a loco leaves at the head of a (say) Birmingham train, do you aim not to re-use the same set in the sequence until it has had time to get to Birmingham & back or are you happy for the rakes to depart the station and re-appear as soon as that formation is next required to arrive?

I think you'd need to much storage and have too much fiddling to do the former.

Are you happy to see the same loco over again, much more frequently than in practice?

So I think your next step is to work out how many train sets/locos you need and let that be the determining factor for the fiddle yard design.

I don't know if multi-track cassettes would work. You could then have arrival and departure cassettes, turning them as required between departures and arrivals. From memory I think the daytime hourly schedule required a couple of B'ham/Wolves trains, a Scottish, a Manchester, a Liverpool and a Chester/Holyhead/Carlisle/Blackpool (or similar) - or am I going too far back to the initial electrification service? The station would probably require at least one of each of those trains to be visible at all times. So you probably need two of each (three for the B/ham's) with one in the station and one in the fiddle yard. Throw in the inner and outer suburbans - you might get away with a single DC trainset - and that could dictate the fiddle yard storage.

I wonder if you could survive with a traverser style (with a facility to incorporate at least one cassette), possibly with a means of moving the locos from one end of the train to the other?

Thanks Ray for your input. There is a lot for me to consider and it may be wise that I try and get hold of some working time tables for the period modelled and see if I can cobble together an abbreviated version that would be possible to run without too much trouble, As for the fiddle yard, I had considered the traverser and am still considering it.

Once the baseboards are built and the track is down and wired, I'll give it some more consideration.

with bham wolves train every 30 mins on average youd probably need a minimum of 8 to 10 sets of stock while you keep departing trains in fiddle yards for around 3 to 4 hours to form the returns that have supposely covered the round trips!  and thats just the bham eus wolves trains not even starting with all the other services.  theres realistic and theres realistic but i think thats pushing the envelope of trying too hard.  you can barely see stock numbers to make out the coaches are actually different.  even working it to a more practical but still believeable tt i think youll need at least 2 sets.   

will you be covering sleeper services such as the lengthy Royal Highlander that i think stretch to 16 coaches?  not sure when the RH service finished in that form and under that name.

youve also got those Nightrider services that were mainly Mk2 1st class air con rakes.  

you can probably run The Cobbler services too with dapols NSE livery class 86 and mk1s.  

Edited by ThaneofFife

I'm pretty certain when the RFD 90's first came out they were in a common pool so could stand in on passenger duties. Hence the rubbing plate and retractable buffers. They were a bit miffed that there first engines had to be turned out in executive livery Instead of RFD.

It's a great livery though.

with bham wolves train every 30 mins on average youd probably need a minimum of 8 to 10 sets of stock while you keep departing trains in fiddle yards for around 3 to 4 hours to form the returns that have supposely covered the round trips!  and thats just the bham eus wolves trains not even starting with all the other services.  theres realistic and theres realistic but i think thats pushing the envelope of trying too hard.  you can barely see stock numbers to make out the coaches are actually different.  even working it to a more practical but still believeable tt i think youll need at least 2 sets.   

will you be covering sleeper services such as the lengthy Royal Highlander that i think stretch to 16 coaches?  not sure when the RH service finished in that form and under that name.

youve also got those Nightrider services that were mainly Mk2 1st class air con rakes.  

you can probably run The Cobbler services too with dapols NSE livery class 86 and mk1s.  

Hi,

There are many services and I'll need to add in the Manchester Picadilly and Glasgow services. And I'm going to stretch my timeline just a little to include the HST's on the Holyhead services.

The DC lines serve the Watford Junction trains and there's also the 317's and 321's heading out towards Bletchley and I think as far as Northampton. The Northampton Cobbler will definitely be modelled as it will bring a nice splash of additional colour to the mix of loco hauled trains. I have a DVD of Bletchley and there is some nice mixed liveried "Cobbler" rakes heading through the station.

The Sleepers will also be modelled and I'll need to make some notes on formations.And don't forget the mail traffic.

I doubt I could physically run the full service, but I will certainly have to look at a much more cut down sequence of trains whilst still making it look believable and realistic. I think the key is to have a large number of locos as I could comfortably use the same stock, as you say, the coach numbers are not always visible. There always seems to be a good number of locos stabled at Euston waiting their next turn of duty as there were still a good number of loco changes for those rakes that didn't include the MK3 DVT.

Lots to consider!

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 1

As for fiddle yard. I think you will have to do something like a sector plate as trains will be coming and going on a large number of tracks. I don't see how you could do a fiddle that would cope with the running of the trains.

There are other ways round this.

Most stations, large and small, have distinct roles for certain platforms or groups of platforms, and often designed to reduce the amount of conflicting movements blocking multiple platforms to allow several trains to come and go at a time.  Let's split the station into distinct 'sections' - say platforms 1-4, 5-8 and 9+.

You have six sidings in your FY for each of your three station sections, each fanning out from a dedicated pair of "in" and "out" lines.

What takes the most space in FY's is the ladders of points for all platform lines to reach all fiddle yard lines.

I don't know the exact sequence at Euston so let's just say platforms 1-4 are long distance expresses, 5-8 are local services, 9+ are parcels and sleeper services.

So your FY 1-6 contain only long distance express rakes.  FY 7-12 contain only local services, and FY 13-18 contain only parcels, sleeper and miscellaneous stock.

You then don't have the hassle of everything from the station trying to get into every road of the fiddle yard, theoretically allowing you perhaps 4 or 5 trains moving at any one time (subject to operator capability, of course!).

You could make one siding of each set of 6 FY roads a removable cassette, for the odd train that may not go into its 'right' platform easily swappable between the sets of sidings, or those 'oddballs' like inspection saloons that you don't want taking up space most of the time.

I hope that makes sense?

• Like 2