Just a few thoughts on back scenes. I'm thinking that the layout could be viewed from all angles as it's kind of an "end to end" layout with the station terminus representing a "scenic" fiddle yard and then a proper fiddle yard to the other.

I think I'll have the majority of controls positioned on a small platform just above the fiddle yard so I can look down the layout to oversee the trains coming and going. Just thinking ahead as if I'm ever lucky enough to have an invite to an exhibition, then the viewers can see the layout from three sides rather than one. I'm definitely going for the perspex roof on the train shed and I'll also leave the sides open so the trains can be seen. The perspex roof should allow plenty of natural light through without the need for artificial lighting. However, having seen some photos of Jim Smith-Wrights amazing P4 New Street on his website, the "under trainshed" photos with the lights looks pretty impressive. Probably very difficult to achieve in 2mm though!

• Like 2

Here's some evidence of some interesting activity at Euston. What were these two doing there in February 1991? Anyone have any clues? Will certainly add some additional variety to the layout and allow me an excuse to buy one of Farish's fab Scotrail 47's!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/64345695@N06/6516238373/in/faves-76701905@N08/

• Like 1

Sorry for the hijack but whilst talking about track/turnout building;

I'm shortly to start buidling for a new layout. It will be to a 2mm/N hybrid as I've done before. Previously I used easitrac for all my turnouts and used Bullhead rail. This time I'd like to do some flatbottom rail turnouts, but there are no easitrac turnout chairs for flatbottom. to overcome the 'gap' shall we say, what do you guys do?

I've seen/heard of people just ignore it and solder rail to copperclad, yet others use a thin metal layer/etch for the chairplate to raise the rail (I'd did this a bit on the bullheads to have some 'solid sleepers' mixed in with the plastic - can get a bit messy).

Thoughts on the matter?

Personally I just solder it directly to the sleepers. There is a slight difference in rail height compared to the trackbased stuff but where it runs one style to the other I simply lift the rail up to the same height where they join and then do an infill solder joint between rail and sleepers for the last few sleepers of the copper clad portion which gives a very very slight gradient between the two. Its only a fraction of a mm (about 0.2mm at the vey most) so really isn't at all noticable. The rest of the copperclad is soldered with solder paste so creates a completely flat joint with no blobs of solder or rail lift present.

I did toy with the idea of soldering tiny chain links to the sleepers to represent pandrol clips but when I saw the work involved I woke up!

Edited by RBE

Hi Jeremy,

Just going back a few posts RE HST's. I had a look in a book, North Wales Coast Diesels, which mentions the driver training runs prior to the service starting. Power car pairs 038/039, 013/084, 044/047, 102/086 and 079/062 had been noted in use from July to September 1991. There is a picture of 038/039 with 2 buffet cars and what looks like a TGS on the 18th July 1991 during driver training. The first service train with 057/082 is also pictured. All these power cars according to my Platform 5 books were in Swallow livery at the time.

Hope thats useful.

Cheers

Simon

Just completed the final draft on templot. I've created my first three way turnout on templot which went very smoothly so I hope it will work ok once I build it on the layout. Platform 7 now has a track to it! I'll print out the sheets that have changed and check all fits together ok tomorrow.

Can't wait to get cracking on some track work.

• Like 1

The latest addition to the rolling stock fleet yesterday. Following a tip off from Simon (87023Velocity on RMweb), that the Kermow model centre were dishing these out at a bargain £39.99, I couldn't resist. The 86 will need a respray and some new etched buffers which I already have.

Thanks again Simon for the heads up on this one!

post-10222-0-66715000-1440327356_thumb.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 5

Wow - don't be afraid to go for anything ambitious will you?

Did once (a long time ago!) daydream about doing a scheme based on Euston (but steam era) but it remained just that, a daydream. My future thoughts lie 299 miles further up the WCML.

Good luck and hope to keep track of progress :good:

anything to do with the suggestion for Carlisle North End as per this months Traction Modelling section?  certainly a layout im tempted by.

for a great looking 80s Euston lets hope for more blue through to executive liveried classes in the 81-87 range.

There will certainly be a good mix of BR Blue and Intercity Executive with a bit of Intercity Swallow livery thrown in too. There's also scope for some class 90's turning up in RfD livery.

There is also someone doing a 3D print of the APT but I'm unsure as to how far they have got with that.

Anyway, I've just been playing with the Google Earth 3D buildings and I've saved a couple of views of Euston Station in 3D. It gives a little bit of an idea of how the model could look and also some good views of the trains.

post-10222-0-76866500-1440336714_thumb.jpg

post-10222-0-92910700-1440336734_thumb.jpg

I think its going to work really well, with no backscene allowing the opportunity to view the layout from all angles, and I hope to get some track work started in a couple of weeks time.

The scenic baseboard is going to be 135cm x 195cm as I can't see anyway of splitting it in two due to the position of the turnouts. The trainshed area will be 135cm x 200cm which will allow for a little of the forecourt in front of the station building. I've given little thought to the fiddle yard however a cassette method sounds appealing and could work well. Any ideas, please post them here!

In other news, I've now printed the final draft, yes the final one!, so will post some photos later of the completed plan. (with three way turnout!)

Best regards,

Jeremy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The latest addition to the rolling stock fleet yesterday. Following a tip off from Simon (87023Velocity on RMweb), that the Kermow model centre were dishing these out at a bargain £39.99, I couldn't resist. The 86 will need a respray and some new etched buffers which I already have.

Thanks again Simon for the heads up on this one!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Best regards,

Jeremy

You are going to need rather more than one of those. Get them at that price while you can.

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if cassettes are the best option - although I hesitate to suggest anything else. I'd be concerned that you'd be so frequently changing the cassettes that you'd find it taking up more time than actually running the trains between cassette and station (and vice versa).

The above is written in the knowledge that I don't know what space you have for a fiddle yard.

so will you be creating the illusion of platforms that can hold trains of 10+ coach lengths by only having say 2 or 3 coaches peeking out from the roof and another 2 or 3 coaches under the roof?   or you going full monty scale length platforms.......

I wonder if cassettes are the best option - although I hesitate to suggest anything else. I'd be concerned that you'd be so frequently changing the cassettes that you'd find it taking up more time than actually running the trains between cassette and station (and vice versa).The above is written in the knowledge that I don't know what space you have for a fiddle yard.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your comment. I have a fair amount of space for the fiddle yard but I'm unsure as to what would be the best method. I need something that would give me the least hassle but at the same time would be the easiest to operate. Feel free to post some ideas.

Best regards,

Jeremy

so will you be creating the illusion of platforms that can hold trains of 10+ coach lengths by only having say 2 or 3 coaches peeking out from the roof and another 2 or 3 coaches under the roof?   or you going full monty scale length platforms.......

It will be scale length platforms with the trains just peeping out of the train shed.

You would have no other choice as the trains will actually pass through the scenic bit.

As for fiddle yard. I think you will have to do something like a sector plate as trains will be coming and going on a large number of tracks. I don't see how you could do a fiddle that would cope with the running of the trains.