Bachmann Delays...will products ever arrive?

DaveClass47

I think 2 out of 5 is a bit harsh of them. I like good, robust reviews, equally I like a bit of perspective and sometimes reviews can end up going over the top with criticism I think.

And only 2 out of 5 I'm afraid for the Mainline version as reviewed in the September 2015 installment.

Though I would agree with them (Rail Express) that a pristine (rather than factory weathered) finish might have been preferable.

Edited by jonathan452

• 1 month later...
FYI - From Wednesday's MRE Mag  
New Releases from Bachmann - September 2015

The following models have recently left the Kader factory in China bound for the UK:

Bachmann Branchline

31-088 ‘Earl’ Class 4-4-0 No.9028 in BR black with early decals, era 4, 21-pin, rrp £139.95

31-531 A2 4-6-2 No.60536 Trimbush in BR green with early decals, 64B shedcode, era 4, 21-pin, rrp £169.95.

31-679 Class 85 No.E3095 in BR electric blue with small yellow panel and white roofs, era 5, 21-pin, rrp £139.95.

32-370 Class 37 /4 No. 37405 in DRS ‘Compass’ livery, era 9, 21-pin, rrp £119.95.

34-056A 60ft Collett 2nd corridor coach in BR crimson and cream No.W553W, era 4, rrp £28.95.

34-131A 60ft Collett composite coach in BR crimson and cream, era 4, rrp £28.95.

37-629 BRA steel strip carrier in DB Schenker livery No.966205, era 9, rrp £31.95.

37-780 12 ton ‘Mogo’ van in BR bauxite No.W126374, eras 4 & 5, rrp £14.95.

37-904 12 ton shock absorbing van in GWR grey No.139547, era 3, rrp £15.95.

38-007 RNA nuclear flask barrier wagon No.361190 era 8, rrp £19.95.

38-052 MTA open box wagon in EWS livery No.395083, era 9, rrp £18.95.

38-059 ZDA ‘Bass’ dropside open wagon in weathered BR grey and yellow No.DC112021, era 8, rrp £22.95.

38-450A 13 ton open wagon with sheet rail high bar in BR early bauxite No.B483456, era 4, rrp £17.95.

38-452A 13 ton open wagon with sheet rail high bar in BR late bauxite No.B476520 ‘Empty to Congleton LMR’, era 5, rrp £17.95.

39-527 ex-SR PMV (Parcels & Miscellaneous Van) in BR green No.S1110S, from new tooling, era 5, rrp £28.95.

39-575 BR(WR) ‘Auto Trailer’ coach in BR crimson & cream No.W231, from new tooling, era 4, rrp £68.95.

39-576 BR(WR) ‘Auto Trailer’ coach in BR maroon No.W228W, from new tooling, era 5, rrp £68.95.

39-577 BR(WR) ‘Auto Trailer’ coach in BR crimson No.W237W, from new tooling, era 4, rrp £68.95.

Graham Farish

371-015C Class 08 No.08672 in BR blue with wasp stripes, eras 7 & 8, rrp £89.95.

372-330 BR Standard Class 3MT 2-6-2T No.82029 in weathered BR black with late decals, era 5, 6-pin, rrp £119.95.

373-680 14T tank wagon, ‘Mex Lamp Oils’ livery No.336, eras 4 & 5, rrp £15.95.

373-681 14T tank wagon, ‘Esso’ silver livery No.2877, eras 4 & 5, rrp £15.95.

377-278 27T steel tippler wagon in BR bauxite No.B386309, eras 7 & 8, rrp £12.95.

377-279 set of 3 steel tippler wagons in weathered BR grey ‘IRON ORE’ livery Nos B382833, B385005 & B385021, eras 4 & 5, rrp £42.95.

Edited by jonathan452

• RMweb Gold

Thanks - they seem to be having a better time factories / deliveries at the moment, quite regular in fact.

I wonder how far along the 90 is..

I wouldn't be holding my breath, there are several items announced before it that still seem to be quite a way off............

The Bachmann times states that the class 90 is in the drawing office which means we should soon get a price for the model as it seems to be recently once the models progress to a certain stage in the drawing office we get a price on the website, recently the Thomson coaches and Stanier mogul have both had prices listed and both are also in the drawing office.

The MK2f have now moved to the tool room so we might see samples before the end of the year.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Took a look at the website and apparently only the following ten steam locos are currently available in the warehouse:

31-127 3000 Class (ROD) 2-8-0 3023 BR Black Early Emblem
31-128 3000 Class (ROD) 2-8-0 3036 BR Black Early Emblem-Weathered
31-168 L&YR 2-4-2 Tank 10713 LMS Crimson
31-169 L&YR 2-4-2 Tank 50705 BR Lined Black Early Emblem
31-188 Jubilee 45565 'Victoria' BR Lined Green Late Crest Weathered
31-320DC Robinson Class J11 64325 BR Black L/Crest (DCC On Board)
31-783 Mod.Hall 7904 'Fountains Hall' BR Black E/Emblem Weathered
31-932DC Midland 4-4-0 Compound 40934 BR Lined Black E/E (DCC On Board)
32-084 Class 56XX 6677 GWR Green
32-085 Class 56XX 6639 BR Black Early Emblem

This is a very small proportion of what is listed. Fortunately diesel loco availability is much better, but it would suggest Bachmann is still facing difficulties getting products, whether new tooling or just reliveries, made.

Off topic, I know, but such issues are not confined to Bachmann. For example, continental modellers will be aware that LS Models, who produce (in China, by the way)  HO and N versions of European outline stock have a vast catalogue within which very few items are other than 'out of stock' or 'future releases'.

• RMweb Premium

Took a look at the website and apparently only the following ten steam locos are currently available in the warehouse:

Some involved in other parts of the distribution industry would say that ten lines in stock is ten lines too many! They might even ask "what is a warehouse?"

• Like 1

The Bachmann times states that the class 90 is in the drawing office which means we should soon get a price for the model as it seems to be recently once the models progress to a certain stage in the drawing office we get a price on the website, recently the Thomson coaches and Stanier mogul have both had prices listed and both are also in the drawing office.

The MK2f have now moved to the tool room so we might see samples before the end of the year.

Any news on the 158 please?

Some involved in other parts of the distribution industry would say that ten lines in stock is ten lines too many! They might even ask "what is a warehouse?"

Very true ... up to a point.  But in many such cases (e.g. furniture) quite commonly you look in a showroom and order what you want, which they then manufacture "to order" and have it delivered to you within a matter of a few weeks.

In Bachmann's case, you know the capability to re-produce a past product exists (albeit perhaps in a different livery etc.), but once a previous run has sold out you don't know when - if ever - they'll actually bring it out again.  And if they do, commonly the "wait" is then 18 months-3 years following the announcement.  For stuff they already have the wherewithal to make!

I don't underestimate the particular difficulties which the model railway manufacturers have faced in recent years - but not many other industries would get away with that sales and production model.  We are all being remarkably tolerant, in my view.  But roll-on the day (perhaps 5-10 years away yet) when I can say:  "I'll have one of those, in livery appropriate for 19XX, numbered 54321 and shedded at 16X" and it will be produced for us within 2-3 months largely by 3-D printing.  And yes, if that costs another 10-20% on the purchase price it'd probably be worth paying.

• RMweb Premium

Off topic, I know, but such issues are not confined to Bachmann. For example, continental modellers will be aware that LS Models, who produce (in China, by the way)  HO and N versions of European outline stock have a vast catalogue within which very few items are other than 'out of stock' or 'future releases'.

Indeed they do, but then they have a very different sales model to Bachmann, much more akin to Rapido Trains'. They announce pretty much every conceivable livery variant from the outset and as I understand it produce sufficient numbers of each model to match pre-orders from retailers. Individual versions that sell well may be re-run, the same as the first. It does mean you may not be able to buy some specific liveries unless you pre-order.

Indeed they do, but then they have a very different sales model to Bachmann, much more akin to Rapido Trains'. They announce pretty much every conceivable livery variant from the outset and as I understand it produce sufficient numbers of each model to match pre-orders from retailers. Individual versions that sell well may be re-run, the same as the first. It does mean you may not be able to buy some specific liveries unless you pre-order.

Point taken, but - and I risk adding to the froth here - it does make me wonder if other manufacturers (Bachmann, for example, to return to the subject of this discussion) are moving subtly or otherwise to similar sales models.

• RMweb Gold

31-127 3000 Class (ROD) 2-8-0 3023 BR Black Early Emblem

31-128 3000 Class (ROD) 2-8-0 3036 BR Black Early Emblem-Weathered

31-168 L&YR 2-4-2 Tank 10713 LMS Crimson

31-169 L&YR 2-4-2 Tank 50705 BR Lined Black Early Emblem

31-188 Jubilee 45565 'Victoria' BR Lined Green Late Crest Weathered

31-320DC Robinson Class J11 64325 BR Black L/Crest (DCC On Board)

31-783 Mod.Hall 7904 'Fountains Hall' BR Black E/Emblem Weathered

31-932DC Midland 4-4-0 Compound 40934 BR Lined Black E/E (DCC On Board)

32-084 Class 56XX 6677 GWR Green

32-085 Class 56XX 6639 BR Black Early Emblem

This is a very small proportion of what is listed. Fortunately diesel loco availability is much better, but it would suggest Bachmann is still facing difficulties getting products, whether new tooling or just reliveries, made.

Might well be so - but no doubt many retailers (remember them, they also act as 'warehouses' in the older version of the model railway retail trade) also probably have a wide selection of models in stock.  it is very easy to overlook in the 'instant gratification' version of r-t-r that now seems to be favoured by many (not numbering you among them BTW)  that retailers serve an important function of acting as warehouses for many modelling items and that does still include r-t-r.  Folk can no doubt complain that some retailers do not offer rock bottom prices but taht would seem - to me at any rate - to be just one component of a  mixed retailer's purpose.

Look at the thread about Oxfordrail wagons - in one place we are told (by Oxfordrail) that they have 'sold out' while meanwhile various RMweb members are at the same time reporting shops with good/slow moving etc stocks. I hate to think what could happen to the hobby if that final part in the retail chain were to be completely abolished or forced out of business.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I'm after the green peak and looking at the Bachmann web-site see 

Oct/Nov 32-681 Class 45 D108 BR Green Split Centre Head Code Weathered £ 129.95

which suggests I'll not have too much longer now to wait, but long enough to save a few more quid!

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Point taken, but - and I risk adding to the froth here - it does make me wonder if other manufacturers (Bachmann, for example, to return to the subject of this discussion) are moving subtly or otherwise to similar sales models.

In principle, I wouldn't mind if they did, provided they announced all the livery variants at the outset, so you knew which one(s) to pre-order. At the moment you have no idea whether Bachmann will produce certain livery versions in the future and so sometimes you buy something else instead because it's better than nowt.

The down side is where would such an approach leave retailers? How would they manage their orders and stockholding if they had to order many years' worth of a particular loco in one go with no guarantee when any will arrive.

Edited by brushman47544

I think perhaps rather than order a model knowing that it is bound to be made for years, that the big two - ie Bachmann and Hornby - should realise that certain models will create a rush of orders and be able to appeal to many straight away. If you look at the likes of Realtrack - they made the 144/143 and have been able to release it in liveries that match a particular area and time, but rather than one unit, they did two of the same livery to different running numbers. Liveries of different periods will attract different modellers after a unit that they want. The liveries will be able to appeal to various people and not conflict in the sales overall, allowing good cashflow to come in. 

If Bachmann (for example) were to do this with the class 158, they could do more than just release it with the current two releases. That would mean that Regional Railways express, and Stagecoach East Midland Trains, could be soon joined by something else like Scotrail First Group livery, or Northern Rail blue. These releases would still appeal to various modellers all after a different area. The run can be extended to allow these products to be brought to market and sold, rather than the usual approach of two models of a type made every year. It would mean that other models might go, and disappear for a year if they have been produced for some time, like the A2, ROD, or even class 66. The 158 would still allow further releases of guises such as Arriva Trains Wales, Northern Sprirt Transpennine, First Transpennine over Northern Spirit, Scotrail Saltaire, First Great Western, National Express Scotrail, and even re-releases of liveries like Express and Northern with the centre car added.

I know there are delays to production and transport, with some restructuring taking place, but models such as these would bring a massive return if increased in quantity when the absence of releases surely means that there has been less cashflow being recieved by the company. The class 158 is just one example. Others such as the Hornby class 31 or 60 could have been the same. Units do make this approach easier, and anyone picking up the mantle to redo a class 156 would be able to reap significant rewards if this approach was adopted.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am sure Bachmann will deliver the goods once they have passed their rigorous routine of quality control. Delays can happen for a host of reasons including one major bees sting is licensing and copyright that can hold things up and sometimes can lead to products getting withdrawn. I am personally looking forward to the Bachmann Class 37 in the Colas Rail livery that should be due in the winter. I really do like the livery to be honest and the second model I am seeking is the Class 158 unit in East Midlands Trains as its present time era and I like the livery a lot too :). Oh and the Class 90, whilst I have a keen eye on this locomotive. I think its going to be a while before we see the model and it will give me some time to get some spare money together and pick one up. I am interested in the RFD livery and the Intercity one as well but I might get the Freightliner one to add to my modern E10 present day fleet. Besides the Intercity Class 90 will go nicely with the matching Hornby Mk3 DVT/DLV that's been kicking around on eBay on and off that was out in 2011/2 if my memory serves me rightly ;).

In the last week I have cancelled my pre-orders for the Southern Atlantic and bird cage coaches. If they ever eventually arrive, and are worth the wait and I have loose change at that point I may consider ordering these models when they are discounted after the initial sales period. 

The shipment of the PLV (Southern livery of course) now closes out the last of any active Bachmann UK orders. If Bachmann decides to make further SOUTHERN (not BR) variations, I will probably buy them.

Pity.

Edited by autocoach

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It may be easier later in the year Derek.

New batch of 37/4s scheduled along with 37/7s due November - December

Nov/Dec 32-389 Class 37/4 37421 Colas £ 119.95

Looks like this one has arrived in the shops.

Cheers,

Mick