Bachmann Delays...will products ever arrive?

DaveClass47

• 3 weeks later...

What people don't realise is it cost a few hundred pounds to ship a container from China to UK . As you say it probably costs more from Port to Warehouse! One of the side effects of these huge Containerships. It's also relatively easy to track them.

It's a couple of thousand pounds now for a 40ft box from China to Europe (according to my neighbour, who, until this year, imported goods from Chinese factories).  £200 per box is a last-decade price at best.

It's a couple of thousand pounds now for a 40ft box from China to Europe (according to my neighbour, who, until this year, imported goods from Chinese factories).  £200 per box is a last-decade price at best.

Your a touch out of date I'm afraid. 'The amount of money it costs to ship a container from Asia to Europe has dropped dramatically; from around US$1500 in 2014 to US$300 today'.

A direct quote from Clemence Cheng, CEO Port of Felixstowe in a news letter I received on the 25th of June.

What people don't realise is it cost a few hundred pounds to ship a container from China to UK.

It's a couple of thousand pounds now for a 40ft box from China to Europe (according to my neighbour, who, until this year, imported goods from Chinese factories).

'The amount of money it costs to ship a container from Asia to Europe has dropped dramatically; from around US$1500 in 2014 to US$300 today'.

Depends on  the day of the month... CMA are going out for a USD1000/TEU increase again ("other carriers are available/ your GRI may vary")

Do any of these prices matter?

According to a link kindly found by Google a 40' container has 67.7m3 of space inside.

12.022m x 2.352m x 2.395m (internal)

Let's remove 12.022m x 2.352m x 0.2m = 5.7m3 for pallets leaving 62.0m3

If I totally guess at the size of a locomotive box (I don't have one at hand to measure as I type this) I would estimate about

0.4m x 0.12m x 0.075m = 0.0036m3 so let's just round up and say 0.004m3 to account for cartons and my inaccuracy.

At that size you could put more than 15,000 locomotive models in a 40' container.

Even at US$1,500 per container, that's in the vicinity of $0.10 for shipping costs from the dock in China to the dock in the UK. While, when added up for every item shipped annually this becomes a material line-item expense on the balance sheets of Bachmann or Hornby, it's noise level in pricing considerations on a per-unit basis. At £2000 / $3000 per container it's still only $0.20 per item.

Yes these calculations are rough and I'd be happy for someone to check my maths - it's easy enough to move a decimal point. I haven't precisely accounted for cartons or the open space at the top to allow forklift movement etc, but should be 'good enough' as an order of magnitude.

I will stipulate that shipping model railway items from China might not fill a container, and partial loads ('less than car lots' in American Railroading speak) probably cost more, but I can't see how the cost of shipping containers from China to Britain could substantially influence the price of model railway rolling stock.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 5

I agree with Ozexpatriate's analysis. Shipping costs are immaterial in the wider scheme of things. I've not checked his maths but even if he is a factor of 10 out, we'd still only be taking plus or minus a couple of quid..

Taking the point that each TEU carries several thousand units, probably accounts for why we get product in lumps over here. For example, I'd wager that the Drummond 700s, the k Pullmans, duchess variants and some new diesels all tightly packed the same one or two containers..,.

Edited by Clearwater

• RMweb Premium

Not as recently as April, but my company do tend to ship several at a time

• RMweb Premium

I agree with Ozexpatriate's analysis. Shipping costs are immaterial in the wider scheme of things. I've not checked his maths but even if he is a factor of 10 out, we'd still only be taking plus or minus a couple of quid..

Taking the point that each TEU carries several thousand units, probably accounts for why we get product in lumps over here. For example, I'd wager that the Drummond 700s, the k Pullmans, duchess variants and some new diesels all tightly packed the same one or two containers..,.

That's the point. Some people would have you believe part of the reason for rising costs is freight. In fact you are correct shipping costs are immaterial in the wider scheme of things, like manufacturers European level margins!

• 2 weeks later...

Today I read a review of the forthcoming Bachmann class 43 warship.

If review production samples have been with the magazines long enough to be published, then the models for mere mortals must surely be on the ship.

Compare this with the progress of the headcode version of the class 24.

The 2 models were announced at the same time, but the 24 seems to have not progressed beyond the 'bags we're doing this' stage.

Edited by D6975
  • Like 1

Today I read a review of the forthcoming Bachmann class 43 warship.

If review production samples have been with the magazines long enough to be published, then the models for mere mortals must surely be on the ship.

Compare this with the progress of the headcode version of the class 24.

The 2 models were announced at the same time, but the 24 seems to have not progressed beyond the 'bags we're doing this' stage.

Should be.

I need these lead times to save up as everything seems so much more expensive these days....

Yours,

Angry of Swindon

Agree, I think a lot of items are pricing themselves out of the market...

£36 for a Colas Rail Hopper Wagon....

A decent rake would be £400 plus, gulp... :stinker:

Agree, I think a lot of items are pricing themselves out of the market...

£36 for a Colas Rail Hopper Wagon....

A decent rake would be £400 plus, gulp... :stinker:

Oh no, taboo subject, please  don't mention the cost of models on this website as it really angers some folk, lol.... :nono:  

Speaking of prices..... I noticed a couple of new models now have a price instead of TBA which would indicate some sort of work has started on the model these include the Class 24/1 £109.95, Ivatt tank new dcc chassis £124.95 and V1/3 new dcc chassis £124.95. There is still no dates but I assume some costing has been discussed with the factory and maybe slots for work agreed.

HOW MUCH ?

I can buy 4 ivatt 2-6-2s on ebay for that price ?

It's £50 clear of the most expensive one sold in recent times and stratospherically above the going s/h rate of around around £40.

Some buyers may be happy with the old tooling but similarly there may be people who prefer to have an unused model with a DCC ready chassis (the old ones were a pain to DCC). They cost more to produce these days (how often do we have to go over the reasons for that?).

You're not comparing like with like, try property and vehicle prices for things which have increased a lot more in percentage terms over 20 years.

• Like 1

HOW MUCH ?

It's £50 clear of the most expensive one sold in recent times and stratospherically above the going s/h rate of around around £40.

I wonder if even Alan Sugar can get some apprentices to get them off their hands for that price ?

The ivatt 2mt has got to have been one of the best selling CHEAP tank engines they ever made, there are armfuls of them out there (and they are pretty hardy going unlike the v1/v3 with its delicate valve gear and rotting axles).

20 years ago these were £30 new, and a can of coke was 30p.. I'm not paying £1.25 for a can of coke today, so where does £125 come from with inflation ?, on the same scale petrol would be £2.50 a litre and an old fashioned PC would be around £5k !

Put it differently.... Why are they the same cost of a modified hall, or std 5, with a tooling of similar age, and without the tender ?

Apart of a DCC chip ready socket (which I don't use) what's so special as to make me want to weigh in the 5 I already have (sitting on a factory fitted chassis with darkened wheels already) and buy more of the same ? is the new strategy to emulate Wrenn ?

IMHO at that price, they should retire it and do a Br std 2-6-2t 84xxx instead.

This is a graphic illustration of lack of understanding. It has been 'retired' and the forthcoming model has an all-new chassis to modern standards - a DCC socket can't readily be fitted to the old-style chassis because the method of motor-mounting and current collection has to be changed. As such, it requires new chassis tooling at today's prices, not those of 20-odd years ago. There are plenty of places where you'll pay £1.25 for a can of coke, too! Anyway, I thought this thread was about Bachmann deliveries, not yet another explanation of why prices have gone up.

Sorry but a £124.00 for an Ivartt tank is now taking the ....... unless they are retooling the body as well and looking at there site they still seem to have not fitted any motion bracket,these prices are getting beyond silly.

The thing is folks will buy them still, but how long will it be when there will a back lash and the bubble burst?, i know i will not be paying these prices anymore.

Darren

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

HOW MUCH ?

You might well, but most of them are likely to be about as good as mine; high mileage, running OK at the moment but plating on the wheels thin enough to see the brass underneath.

I'm certainly hoping the new one arrives before they actually die on me.

John

• RMweb Gold

Sorry but a £124.00 for an Ivartt tank is now taking the ....... unless they are retooling the body as well and looking at there site they still seem to have not fitted any motion bracket,these prices are getting beyond silly.

The thing is folks will buy them still, but how long will it be when there will a back lash and the bubble burst?, i know i will not be paying these prices anymore.

Darren

The photos in question are the same as those in the catalogue way back when these were announced.

It is therefore pretty certain that they show the old models, renumbered (or Photoshopped). 

Bachmann tooled everything they need to upgrade the 2-6-2T chassis (except the main chassis casting) when they produced the 2-6-0 version so I think it reasonable to assume they will not lack anything that is fitted to that model.

John

I fear Bachmanns Chinese owners have demanded the same high margins for their UK operation as they see for their European ventures. I expect prices have some way more to climb before they settle.

• RMweb Gold

I fear Bachmanns Chinese owners have demanded the same high margins for their UK operation as they see for their European ventures. I expect prices have some way more to climb before they settle.

In which case, I'm quite thankful they seldom make locos of interest to me............

Heaven help me if they ever discover the western half of the SR  :O

John