Bachmann to produce S Stock for London Transport Museum

Andy Y

I was very tempted, but I don't really have a use for one and it would only stay in the box so I have reluctantly decided not to buy one.

Wish I could be so decisive Phil...

And Mr. Biff looking into the sound as well, Tase....deary me....pure temptation!!

Dave

• RMweb Premium

It would be a good addition to run on my DL layout with a pair of 20's at either end, but unfortunately funds are allocated elsewhere for the next few months. (Note to self - buy a lottery ticket)

Unless someone wants to buy one, four 20's and run it as "guest" stock.....................?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

From New York it looks like a great idea!

I just found out that in August 2012 on one day the London Underground had 4.4 million riders - which is more than the population of some countries.

Best, Pete.

That 2012 record was recently beaten in november 2014 with 4.576million riders in one day on friday the 14th

• RMweb Premium

That 2012 record was recently beaten in november 2014 with 4.576million riders in one day on friday the 14th

Which is more than the population of all our cities (Sydney at 4.39m and Melbourne at 4.02m are the largest) and means that through a five-day working week London Underground carries more people than live in Australia.  In fact over just two of those days LU carries more passengers than the resident population of Greater London (7.825m).  Source : http://worldpopulationreview.com

If justification for open-plan rolling stock which is slightly longer than some platforms it is required to serve were ever required there you have it.

Happy days.  I've sat here patiently through years of announcements that meant nothing to me.  I'd written this latest announcement off as well, but you always check though... just in case.  Sorry wallet.

A model of Watford Junction would be interesting post croxley rail link completion.  S stock, voyagers, desiros, pendolinos, sleepers, a nice variety of freight, southern 377s (when they inevitably get announced), even Overground 378s wouldn't seem like a bad idea now.   

agree. My layout is loosely based around WCML near watford and previous to this announcement the closest thing you could get was the class 150 in silverlink livery despite that unit not running on the line. Already ordered one of these and would love it if the LO 378 were commissioned too.

For me this announcement is brilliant. I pre-ordered it as soon as I saw it on the LTM website

The layout i am currently building is loosely based around the Watford Junction WCML area with a few other locos in there too. With the croxley rail link meaning that in a few years the s-stock trains will be diverted to Watford Junction from the old terminus in watford it means this unit is perfect for me. All i need now is TfL and Bachmann to commission the Overground class 378 and i will be delighted.

I am only ordering the 4 car set as the longest train on my layout is the caledonian sleeper with 6 carriages with my pendolinos only having 6 cars as well as only running my 350s as 4 car units

• Like 2

It would be a good addition to run on my DL layout with a pair of 20's at either end, but unfortunately funds are allocated elsewhere for the next few months. (Note to self - buy a lottery ticket)

Unless someone wants to buy one, four 20's and run it as "guest" stock.....................?

Cheers,

Mick

I'm getting one, you can get the 20's

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Have pre-ordered one of the 4 car units. When I enquired about whether I might be one of the first 300 I was told that the sales had reached that point some time ago.

Although it's slightly disappointing it is good to hear that sales appear to have been strong

Edited by Ryde-on-time

• 3 weeks later...

Any news regarding the excursion for the first 250 people who pre-ordered? I was told that I was in the list, but heard nothing since. Apparently we are also going to have our orders dispatched in September instead of a collection on the day of the excursion.

I'm curious as to how many of these S8 Stock models have been produced and if weather they will sell out or not. If they do, then Bachmann might see this as a good market opportunity to expand on. It is a niche market but it is becoming more popular.

LTM could commission a 2009 Stock Model or perhaps Bachmann could go in another direction like by producing more modern surface London Transport Rolling Stock (London Overground Cl 378).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Any news regarding the excursion for the first 250 people who pre-ordered? I was told that I was in the list, but heard nothing since. Apparently we are also going to have our orders dispatched in September instead of a collection on the day of the excursion.

I'm curious as to how many of these S8 Stock models have been produced and if weather they will sell out or not. If they do, then Bachmann might see this as a good market opportunity to expand on. It is a niche market but it is becoming more popular.

LTM could commission a 2009 Stock Model or perhaps Bachmann could go in another direction like by producing more modern surface London Transport Rolling Stock (London Overground Cl 378).

I wrote to the shop last week:

Hi, Thinking about my order number LTM-001-75094 for one of your S class train models, can you tell me whether I was early enough to qualify for the special trip? Many thanks,

and they replied:

Thank you for your email.
Unfortunately we cannot release the information to successful participants just yet. We will be sending out information and invitations to the lucky customers in the coming weeks. However I can see that your order was placed on the 01/06/2015 and so I think you have a very good chance of receiving something special in the post!

This is very sweet of them, but I'll be pretty fed up if I find I've set up a business trip and it clashes with the train trip.

On the bright side, if anyone's order number was earlier than mine, hopefully you are in luck!

- Richard.
Edited by 47137

Morning,

Just a quick note to let everyone know that BRM's review sample of the London Underground S Stock base pack has arrived. Look out in our September issue (on sale August 13th) for a full review and lots of photos. That issue will also contain reviews of Heljan's Park Royal Railbus, Class 05 shunter and Graham Farish GWR Hawksworth coaches.

The package contains a bit more information that might be useful to anyone who wants one or has already ordered one.

35-990: S Stock 4-Car train pack containing cars DM 21088+M1 22088+MS 24087+DM 21087 (outer cars are motorised)

Models will be available to the public as follows:

* LT Museum Acton depot open day, Sunday Sept 27 ONLY

* From LT Museum Shop in Covent Garden anytime from Friday October 2nd (while stocks last)

* Online from www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk (orders being taken now for late September despatch)

* Mail order by telephone on 020 7565 7265

Ben

Morning,

Just a quick note to let everyone know that BRM's review sample of the London Underground S Stock base pack has arrived. Look out in our September issue (on sale August 13th) for a full review and lots of photos. That issue will also contain reviews of Heljan's Park Royal Railbus, Class 05 shunter and Graham Farish GWR Hawksworth coaches.

The package contains a bit more information that might be useful to anyone who wants one or has already ordered one.

35-990: S Stock 4-Car train pack containing cars DM 21088+M1 22088+MS 24087+DM 21087 (outer cars are motorised)

Models will be available to the public as follows:

* LT Museum Action depot open day, Sunday Sept 27 ONLY

* From LT Museum Shop in Covent Garden anytime from Friday October 2nd (while stocks last)

* Online from www.ltmuseumshop.co.uk (orders being taken now for late September despatch)

* Mail order by telephone on 020 7565 7265

Ben

I think the LT Museum depot is in Acton.

Andy

In an email to me they said: "There has been 2000 of the 4 car sets made and 1000 of each of the single carriages."

Thanks! That's quite a decent amount of sets and single carriages. It will come to no surprise if the sets sell out before the single carriages! Most buyers will only purchase a set and maybe another car or two. I bought the complete 8 car formation, one of a thousand in this instance, but I honestly doubt that more than 200 people will go for the whole thing. The overall cost being the major problem me thinks.

With any luck they will produce more after the current stock sells out and hopefully the variations to create the S7 sets.

With 2000 sets! I think that people will be scrounging by the time its Christmas. They definitely should make the S7 variant with the all-longitudinal seating arrangement and the option of two destinations, Hammersmith or Edgware Road.

From LTM today

Dear Roy,

Thank you for ordering the S Stock model Underground train.

CONGRATULATIONS!

We are pleased to announce you are one of the successful customers to place your order in time to receive a free ticket to our launch of the S Stock model on a special S7 Stock train (the first time this type of train has operated on the Metropolitan main line to Amersham) from Moorgate to Watford and Amersham and return to Moorgate on 26thSeptember 2015. One ticket is issued per full order or per set, so if you have ordered more than one set, you will receive an additional ticket/s.

Your order, the special Bachmann certificate, your ticket and final confirmation information sheet will be despatched in one package at the beginning of September via Special Delivery (Royal Mail) so that you receive your order in good time prior to the event.

Please note – your special ticket is ONLY valid for the special train journey and is not valid for travel on any other TfL service.

RSVP is required by 25 August. If you are unfortunately unable to attend this event then letting us know will give other customers the opportunity to attend. Please email us at exclusives@ltmuseum.co.uk or telephone us on 020 7565 7295.

All queries can also be directed to the above contact information.

We hope to see you on this special occasion!

Yours faithfully

Michael Walton

Head of Trading

I ordered mine about 2 hours after reading Andy Ys post so i would have been a little surprised to have not been in the first 250.

It took me that long to get up the floor. Anyway, i'll have to make it down from Watford to get my free trip to ....Watford thence to Amersham, back to Moorgate and then back home to Watford.  See you all there

RP

edit: P.S. Watford vs Crystal Palace is on the 27th (makes things a little easier)

Edited by Roy P
  • Like 1