Dapol/ex-Lionheart Announcements

MGR Hooper!

Oh no! From £235 for the 57xx. That's worrying as I had no intention of modelling the GWR in O gauge, and as it's too modern for my taste, I wonder what the potential is for bashing it into an early pannier. I hope it doesn't appear for a very long time, as I've already got too many projects on the go!

Ahh, excellent. Was hoping that a 57xx would be on the cards. No doubt Richard will be involved and therefore no doubt it'll be excellent. Surprised they are re- running the 64xx and 74xx even at a reduced price, given that they've only just cleared the old stock.

• RMweb Gold

Ahh, excellent. Was hoping that a 57xx would be on the cards. No doubt Richard will be involved and therefore no doubt it'll be excellent. Surprised they are re- running the 64xx and 74xx even at a reduced price, given that they've only just cleared the old stock.

I've got a black one but I quite fancy a green one...along with my Heljan Hymek the black one is is my "go to" loco on Bakewell Street...

• RMweb Gold

Oh no! From £235 for the 57xx. That's worrying as I had no intention of modelling the GWR in O gauge, and as it's too modern for my taste, I wonder what the potential is for bashing it into an early pannier. I hope it doesn't appear for a very long time, as I've already got too many projects on the go!

I also had no intention of modelling in 'O' gauge, until I bought a lovely Ixion Hudswell Clarke. A Lionheart 64XX was immediately then on the radar, so I'm glad to see that they're doing another production run, as I had otherwise thought that I could still contact Lionheart and get one.

The 57XX is also excellent news. It's considerably cheaper than the 64XX, which is interesting, given that the expectation is that it will be just as superb as the 64XX.

• Like 1

I also had no intention of modelling in 'O' gauge, until I bought a lovely Ixion Hudswell Clarke. A Lionheart 64XX was immediately then on the radar, so I'm glad to see that they're doing another production run, as I had otherwise thought that I could still contact Lionheart and get one.

The 57XX is also excellent news. It's considerably cheaper than the 64XX, which is interesting, given that the expectation is that it will be just as superb as the 64XX.

It was the Dapol K&ESR Terriers that did it for me, so I'm strictly modelling light railways in O gauge, and there's no place for the GWR in 7mm scale. I'm doing that in 4mm. The only problem is that I bought a Hudswell Clarke while I was waiting for the Terriers, so am already straying!

I hope to be starting on converting a Hornby 2721 body to one of the 1803 class as first fitted with panniers in 1904, in EM, and it's interesting to see how similar the different pannier classes were. That's why I'm worried about this announcement, as I think the 57xxs were very close in dimensions to some of the early 1900s panniers.

I think the remaining Lionheart stock has gone to Tower, looks like they've sold out now. I've hopefully managed to snaffle a black 74xx.

The Lionheart 64/74 has a relatively complex construction and drive arrangement which presumably has an impact on the price. I imagine that the 57xx will use the same motor/ drive arrangement as the Terrier and 08. I also suspect that they are hoping to sell rather more of them than Lionheart intended, economies of scale and all that.

Excellent news, I'm just building a JLTRT 8750, and I have both variants (new and old cab) in kit form sitting on the shelf, but I will certainly be having at least 2 BR Late crest Black 57xx locos, as they were the staple diet on the B&M in the 60's!!!!

Jinty ;)

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

This is the future of Gauge 0, expect more kitsellers at Telford to give up. I'm just surprised that Dapol/ Lionheart have yet to announce a 14xx 0-4-2T!

Still waiting for those short radius Peco points to democratise the hobby!

Dava

Edited by Dava

This is the future of Gauge 0, expect more kitsellers at Telford to give up. I'm just surprised that Dapol/ Lionheart have yet to announce a 14xx 0-4-2T!

Except that RTR is now available in batches, and if you miss out you may not get another chance. Kits tend to be available for much longer periods.

There's no way I can justify buying a 57xx for my current plans, and I can't afford to buy one just because it's nice. So either I start thinking of a plan for it, and hope it doesn't appear soon, or in ten years time when I really want one, there probably won't be any available. But there may well be a kit available.

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear me......not good......not good at all......

Time.....space.....money....

Bu**er!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Splendid news and great to see some signs of Lioheart and Dapol working together to exploit their new relationship. This could really be the start of something special at Dapol. I think it is fair to say they haven't had the best few years but if rhey play things well they have immense potential with this Dapol/Lionheart arrangement. As OO prices rise and O becomes more affordable I suspect that a lot of people will consider moving into O.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder why the price difference between two models, that are on the face of it, very similar in specification? Or is there something I'm missing about the Dapol 57xx that allows it to be cheaper?

I wonder why the price difference between two models, that are on the face of it, very similar in specification? Or is there something I'm missing about the Dapol 57xx that allows it to be cheaper?

Economies of scale perhaps? Dapol are a much bigger company so can handle bigger production runs etc

• RMweb Gold

Economies of scale perhaps? Dapol are a much bigger company so can handle bigger production runs etc

Dapol are producing both locomotives, surely? yet one is much higher priced than the other (albeit much cheaper than it was before). Just wondering if there is a difference in specification.

Dapol are producing both locomotives, surely? yet one is much higher priced than the other (albeit much cheaper than it was before). Just wondering if there is a difference in specification.

I suppose it is a puzzler...

Maybe to do with manufacturing techniques/materials?

I would imagine the 'Dapol' 64xx will be exactly the same as the Lionheart one in this respect, whereas the Dapol 57xx will be a newly produced model, to Dapol's existing specifications?

Is that naive? (or stupid!)

Unless the 57xx is based on a modified version of the 64xx... then the price difference makes no sense at all!

PS - they're on the Hatton's website already for under £200... http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000396/1000590/1000640/1446724/Dapol_O_Gauge_1_43_Scale_Steam_locos_UK_rail_era_3_The_Big_Four_LMS_GWR_LNER_SR_1923_1947_1923_1947/prodlist.aspx

Edited by south_tyne

Dapol 63xx/Class 22 would be the ideal diesel to compliment this range then :locomotive:

Oh & Dapol can still be the first ones to produce good RTR  Mk1's too !  :jester:

Hi Phil, I was thinking the same a couple of months ago, they have done 2mm  & 4mm, so 7mm is the next logical step.

I don't do kettles normally, but at those prices a little tank & Autocoach is getting harder to resist  :O

Craig.