Hornby Princess Coronation Class (Duchess)

Dick Turpin

Small part of each drawing, don't think this will infringe copyright but I'll delete post if mod requests.

Hope this shows the under cab trailing wheel arrangements ok and may be of some help.

attachicon.gifP1270096.JPG

SWS

attachicon.gifP1270098.JPG

Duchess

Railroadbill,

A-ah - the Roche drawings - a copy of which I already have.

Thank you for reminding me.

Regards, and thanks,

John Isherwood.

The 'Duchess of Atholl' started at 40% on my Gaugemaster controller and I ran it at 60%. Unfortunately the front bogie derailed on each circuit. There was no obvious reason but I think one of the track pins was protruding. None of the coaches derailed so it looks like the Duchess will only run on perfect track. I will have to get out the track gang. It ran on less power than my Hornby H class.

The new Duchess has weight towards the rear (this seems to be a new fashion at Hornby as the Merchant Navy and H class have weight centred towards the rear). This means any raised spots followed by dips exceeding a certain amount (say 1 to 2 mm) will be enough to cause the bogie to clear the track then bingo, it derails.

I got rid of my Wrenn Hamilton a few years ago (replaced with a streamliner of the same name). Wrenn locos are heavy machines with course wheels. I found they and modern point work do not get along. So I only have a few of this make left.

On the other hand, my Hornby Duchess of Sutherland just celebrated its 40th birthday. Big difference between her and Sir William Stanier.

Edited by JSpencer

At the Godlingston trials I compared he performance of my Wrenn 'City of Liverpool' with my Hornby' Duchess of Atholl'. The Wrenn locomotive weighed about 676 grammes compared with 437 grammes for the Hornby Duchess. They both comfortably managed a 14 coach train of ten wooden bodied period 1 and four period 3 Stanier coaches. I am having difficulty finding Hornby Stanier coaches although the Railroad versions seem to be in plentiful supply. It is easy to get Palitoy, Replica and Bachmann period 1 coaches.

The 'Duchess of Atholl' started at 40% on my Gaugemaster controller and I ran it at 60%. Unfortunately the front bogie derailed on each circuit. There was no obvious reason but I think one of the track pins was protruding. None of the coaches derailed so it looks like the Duchess will only run on perfect track. I will have to get out the track gang. It ran on less power than my Hornby H class.

The 'City of Liverpool' needed a prod to start and I ran it at full power. It ran very well and started at 70% power the second time. There were no derailments and I could have left it running while I made a cup of tea.

The Hornby box is much more attractive than the Wrenn box. A replica Hornby Dublo 3-rail box had an attractive illustration of their 'City of Liverpool' which is where Hornby Dublo made their models.

I hate to state the obvious, but did you check the back-to-backs? You would think that these are carefully checked on modern model, but this is definitely not the case. I have known them to be too generous on 1 axle & too tight on the next. Quite poor really because this is such an easy thing to get right.

• RMweb Premium

The pivoting truck doesn’t seem to be coming back anytime soon. A huge amount of daylight between it and the lower firebox looks ridiculous on any model. How about we just get over it, or if you don’t like it, be a modeller and do something about it!

The pivoting truck doesn’t seem to be coming back anytime soon. A huge amount of daylight between it and the lower firebox looks ridiculous on any model. How about we just get over it, or if you don’t like it, be a modeller and do something about it!

As per my #985 above, ".... I fully intend to try the conversion - hence my request for the rear frame profile. If I am incorrect, I will gladly admit the fact".

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As per my #985 above, ".... I fully intend to try the conversion - hence my request for the rear frame profile. If I am incorrect, I will gladly admit the fact".

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I personally don’t agree with you about the fixed truck but I have utmost respect for your ‘can do’ approach to a fix. And you communicate with more civility than some on this forum.

I suppose a compromise could be an actual truck (but only applicable when the prototype has one) that is held fixed with  a flangeless wheel by two screws. One screw acts as the pivot point if the second screw is removed and the user fits the flanged wheel. This - I guess - would be limited to prototypical curves, and should avoid any need to create unwanted daylight or incorrect forms for the firebox base (or avoid making the truck wider than prototypical - like Bachmann did on their trailing wheels for the A1).

Of course this may well up being extra cost but then we already have things like opening roof vents which, while are nice, are not really required imho.

Of course this may well up being extra cost but then we already have things like opening roof vents which, while are nice, are not really required imho.

With the amount of detail Hornby have included it would be a pity not to be able to show it off.

I like the opening cab roof and doubt it adds much to the production costs.

No extra detailing here it's as it came from Hornby and superb.

post-2371-0-88495500-1510167888_thumb.jpg

Dave.

• Like 3

With the amount of detail Hornby have included it would be a pity not to be able to show it off.

I like the opening cab roof and doubt it adds much to the production costs.

No extra detailing here it's as it came from Hornby and superb.

attachicon.gifIMG_1251.jpg

Dave.

Ok fair point. I,m worried the thing will ping off at some point leaving a big hole!

• RMweb Premium

I don't model the steam era and being honest, have little or no interest in steam trains at all. My dad however was an 'LMS Man' when it came to railway modelling and an old Wrenn City of London is etched in all my memories of him from my childhood. As such, I started reading this thread last night and had a mini pang of regret that such a beautiful looking model (SWS) is sold out on release, as I would have loved to have one sitting in my display cabinet in memory of my Dad. 

Roll on this morning and with a few hours to kill I took myself down to Wrexham for the local swapmeet and model railway show. Whereupon the trader 'Along Classic Lines' who I've happily bought from at many a show, had 2 Sir Williams and 3 Atholls on display. 

So having decided that having just one steam loco would look decidedly out of place, I'm happy to report that I have one of each taking up residence in my display case.

Just hoping this isn't the start of a slippery slope and my D & E fleet isn't about to become redundant :O

Scottish Exile -"Stanier mania" is infectious.

You will be converted to steam lol !

Nurse, Nurse! . I'm coming down with something. Locomotions new release of Duchess of Hamilton has just been orderd.

Very fond memories of seeing that with my Dad at Ayr Depot Open Day in 1983

• Like 1

I suppose a compromise could be an actual truck (but only applicable when the prototype has one) that is held fixed with  a flangeless wheel by two screws. One screw acts as the pivot point if the second screw is removed and the user fits the flanged wheel. This - I guess - would be limited to prototypical curves, and should avoid any need to create unwanted daylight or incorrect forms for the firebox base (or avoid making the truck wider than prototypical - like Bachmann did on their trailing wheels for the A1).

EXACTLY what I suggested to Hornby - and what I have (repeatedly) proposed here; it seems that a certain section of the membership just can't - or won't - read what is actually posted.

The perfect solution, and everyone's happy!

Thank you for your post.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

Just ordered my locomotion models 46229. Many fond memories of it sat in the NRM next to mallard pre streamlined...again! Can’t wait for it to arrive!

Fingers crossed next year for a BR green “City of Salford” with crewe yellow stripe and a hint of weathering!

• Like 2

Well I gave in a bought one too! 

Even though I could have been sensible. Just like I was yesterday when I bought a s/h weathered Heljan Garratt 47996 for a comparable price!

I do like good 00 models. There is no cure.  Some people collect stamps, I am told.... :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

So now we have two models of the NRM's 46229, can we expect one of 46233, and if so in what livery? Personally, I much prefer the look of the locos with the curved running board to the split ones, so a 46233 in Blue with BR early emblem as the widespread livery not yet offered would tick all the right boxes.

• RMweb Premium

We have had a (very) few comments about inaccuracies in the model which costs under £200.

What if you are paying nearly £6000 plus carriage for a gauge three live steam loco?

Here we have 6229 "City of Birmingham" in de-streamlined pre-war crimson lake with cylindrical smokebox: :scratchhead:

http://www.kingscalelivesteam.co.uk/duchessgauge3.php

It's not just a sample picture as you can order it in that condition.

Anybody notice anything wrong? :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to note that 46229 doesn’t appear to have had either the AWS battery box on her running plate (usually mounted in front of the cab on the right hand side) or the bang plate in front of the coupler in her NRM mainline running days. So the model is technically only correct for the 1960 to withdrawal condition. And did any have AWS fitted without electrification flashes? On the other thread I have examples of BR maroon without flashes but in each case also without AWS. I ask out of interest - it hasn’t stopped me ordering and adding my own flashes isn’t a problem :)

We have had a (very) few comments about inaccuracies in the model which costs under £200.

What if you are paying nearly £6000 plus carriage for a gauge three live steam loco?

Here we have 6229 "City of Birmingham" in de-streamlined pre-war crimson lake with cylindrical smokebox: :scratchhead:

http://www.kingscalelivesteam.co.uk/duchessgauge3.php

It's not just a sample picture as you can order it in that condition.

Anybody notice anything wrong? :jester:

Keith

Well, it does say representative.

What intrigues me is the correctly numbered tender.

Bernard