The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those that fear coming to Australia!

kevinlms

Just  now I found some photos from 1983 in an envelope while I was tidying up my bookcase, which had me imagining  that in 34 years time I'll  be tidying up my bookcase and   come across an old CD or USB stick with some pictures on it,

In that case I'll  be hoping that I still have a CD drive or USB port in my computer or fridge or whatever that will recognise the format and be able to read the by then  34 year old tech stuff.

At least our eyes can still process old photos...

Anyway, ignoring all that thinking that I did, I do like this one particular photo because it has made me  think that it kind of revives the original intention of this thread:: basically that Australia is perceived to be a scary place.

To acknowledge that so far we've had sea mites and spiders and snakes and drop bears and blue ringed octopii and cassowarys, but so far have not had one mention of the really scary thing about here - other Australians! (apart from big Merv, as Furness Wagon just pointed out!)

Anyway  to fix that, here is my first example: (with photo proof)

IN the early 1980's I worked for an oil company and was sent out into far western Queensland to assist with an oil exploration survey, This basically means a bulldozer clears  a matrix of lines 20 or more km long, then holes are drilled 30 or so metres down along the lines at intervals of say 100 metres. An explosive shot is placed down the hole and let off and an array of geophones, -  basically microphones -  laid along the length of the line record the shock waves and eventually all these recordings are processed by huge computers and you end up with a  graphical representation of the subsurface geological layers.

Basically that is a way too detailed introduction to the photo I found, which is pretty much the aftermath of a scene with me in the passenger seat of the landcruiser shouting "No way!!!" straight after  the driver  spotted an exploded  shot hole in the track and yelled out "Check this out!" and tried to jump it...

post-22541-0-95028200-1503754399_thumb.jpg

OK, here's a version of a famous Aussie song, that sums up things rather well.  WARNING, some might be offended.

There are very few arguments to support the opposite view, but in the interests of keeping the forum fair and balanced, I have finally  found one:

I'm half tempted to send the link to Kevin Andrews and Tony A  just to  see if they run with it.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1

He not a scary creature, He's Big Merv! Hero of the MCG! Joint world record holder of the greatest number of beers (52) consumed on a flight between Sydney and London . A true sporting hero!

Marc

Joint with whom?

Monkeysarefun did the land cruiser live up to the hype and get is self out with out damage and continue for another 100 thousand kms!

Not exactly...

post-22541-0-51782800-1503794595_thumb.jpg

Maybe they should have used stronger fencing wire the first time around!

• Like 3

Well the handling may have improved! 

I had one as a company car years ago in PNG.... One of the site foreman took it..... I didn't see it for about 2 months.... When it did come back basically it was to go straight into a container for relocation. The next person who had it said when he managed to roll it out of the container there was no oil in it! Let alone there was no puddle in the container I can only surmise that it had no oil for some time! IE it lost it in the 2 months since I saw it!

So now I guess we are saying look out for pot holes when driving around Australia... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well the handling may have improved! 

I had one as a company car years ago in PNG.... One of the site foreman took it..... I didn't see it for about 2 months.... When it did come back basically it was to go straight into a container for relocation. The next person who had it said when he managed to roll it out of the container there was no oil in it! Let alone there was no puddle in the container I can only surmise that it had no oil for some time! IE it lost it in the 2 months since I saw it!

So now I guess we are saying look out for pot holes when driving around Australia... 

Or no oil on the day YOU handed the keys over!

Wild deer and no, they aren't a cute Bambi native species. But imported and are a menace!

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/deer-goes-wild-causes-100000-damage-in-melbourne-funeral-home-20170901-gy989u.html

Sounds like proof that Aussies either have bred dangerous mutant species or are prone to exaggerate!

So what type of deer were they? One report has Sambar (which are quite impressive, I grant you), but the article looks to be Sika (ah, bless) or perhaps Rusa.

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like proof that Aussies either have bred dangerous mutant species or are prone to exaggerate!

So what type of deer were they? One report has Sambar (which are quite impressive, I grant you), but the article looks to be Sika (ah, bless) or perhaps Rusa.

I wouldn't trust a media source photo, as probably something generic from library files, rather than the actual animal!

You need to remember that there is no natural enemy (except for men with rifles).

Wild deer and no, they aren't a cute Bambi native species. But imported and are a menace!

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/deer-goes-wild-causes-100000-damage-in-melbourne-funeral-home-20170901-gy989u.html

Clearly not very used to humans - quite unlike this lot on a golf resort in central Oregon:

post-1819-0-13319300-1504300659_thumb.jpg

The biggest threat they represent is to the gardens of people living in the resort.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Kevin I like that website.... says some one who has already voted and posted said form back hoping above all that the whole discussion would stop after I posted it back... but no still going on.

Mine arrived today, but I'll deal with it tomorrow.

Ticked the right box today and posted mine.

Edited by kevinlms
  • Like 1

Mine turned up in yesterdays post. Found the required 'dark pen' decided on what 'mark' to use -  thought I'd go with the classic 'X'... and put it in the wrong *#@&$# box!

I have NO idea how I managed that. Its a simple question needing just a  yes or no answer and I buggered it up.

Think I will report it lost stolen or damaged   and ask for another one.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mine turned up in yesterdays post. Found the required 'dark pen' decided on what 'mark' to use - thought I'd go with the classic 'X'... and put it in the wrong *#@&$# box!

I have NO idea how I managed that. Its a simple question needing just a yes or no answer and I buggered it up.

Think I will report it lost stolen or damaged and ask for another one.

There are instructions with the accompanying letter on what to do if you stuff it up.

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. I've just discovered this thread and WHAT a find !

To start with, I just love Ozzi's cos they're down to earth, tell it as it is and easy to beat at cricket. Another good reason is that me ol' mate, Monkysarefun, is a prolific poster on here and nobody makes me crease up more than him - Hi Monkeysarefun ! - and only an Australian can find funny things to say about red back spiders, blue ringed octopuses and that indigenous yard or two of instant death called the brown snake ( though I would have thought that being of Oz origin, it might have been called something more imaginative than just 'brown' when something like ' The Brown, deadly, cantankerous old bastard of instant death snake' though I'm sure that Monkysarefun could come up with something far better than that !

So guys, you've just found yourself a new fan. Just keep postin' and I'll keep readin'

Allan.

Edited by allan downes
  • Like 4

Good of you to drop in Allan - pull up a pew and  have a Fosters........ cos no one down here drinks it!

Despite your assumption that we have a natural talent for naming things imaginatively, the truth is actually the opposite.

This is actual recorded dialog at the times major discoveries here were made:

Look, theres an Octopus, it has blue rings on it what shall we call it?  How about The blue ringed octopus?..No worries.

Look, those mountains have got a bit of snow on them, what shall we call them?. How about The Snowy Mountains?  Beauty.

Look, this reef here  is like a bloody great barrier. What do you reckon we should call it? How about the Great Barrier Reef mate?..   Alright.

And so on and so on. Mount Disappointment, Mount Misery, The Red belly black snake, The great sandy desert......

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2