My/our coach, carriage & wagon scratch building thread

gobbler

First I start off by adding the two full length horizontals.

post-2873-0-79921200-1519587009_thumb.jpg

Then add from the bottom working one side then the other

post-2873-0-16493100-1519587069_thumb.jpg

Until they meet in the middle-ish

post-2873-0-78287600-1519587117_thumb.jpg

Can't do much else tonight, gotta let the whole thing dry.

Once dried :-

1. a quick rub down

2. out with the squadron green putty, once the putty is dry then

3. a rub down,

4. a primer

5. another rub down.

This last prime and rub down should show you/ me the high and low points. Then It's repeat steps 2, 3, 4 & 5 til im happy with the roof.

TTFN

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 3

So....,,,,

this is the result after the first covering of squadron green, rub down, primer, and primer rub down.

When I say rub down I mean light sanding. I do this by laying a sheet of Hermes P180 emery paper (and this is the crucial bit the surface has to be 100% flat) on a flat surface and move the coach back and forth against the grain of the roof strips following the radius of the roof.

post-2873-0-46743500-1519671511_thumb.jpg

Not too shabby for the first round of finishing the roof, once more of the above steps and this will be licked hopefully

• Like 6

While I'm out on the road at work, I have an hour to kill.

So whilst my luggage/milk van is at home drying I thought I'd start something else.

post-2873-0-08549800-1519731843_thumb.jpg

A GER passenger train cattle box.

A little muck up on the marking out, but that's ok as this is the inside. Also of note it has four ventilation windows in the side, I'm having two open, one at either end on each side, hence the two odd squares that have been marked out.

These vehicles lasted up to 1959 so I can have one for my layout (which I should start in the summer)

TTFN

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 3

Having trouble sharing from my Flickr also the photo upload on here has gone up the swanny

Anyway a brief description:-

1. All appatures are cut out of my GER passenger cattle wagon

post-2873-0-29890100-1519810721_thumb.jpg

2. More importantly my milk/luggage van, have started work on the 4 objects on the roof. Can't really tell, but I'm assuming they should be a clear glass structure to allow extra light into the body of the van.

post-2873-0-61477300-1519810773_thumb.jpg

You may notice some clear plastic 'cloches' just below the body, glinting away, its possible I've got to cut some holes in the roof, hopefully Jonathan, if your reading this you can confirm that this is the case.

RMWEB is fixed hooray!!

TTFN

Scott

Edited by gobbler

Mike,

Thanks a bundle, looks like I'll be modifying the roof somewhat. Knowing my luck, where I've put the roof formers I'll hit one in each of the skylights

I'll let you chaps know a bit later

TTFN

Scott, at the time period you are modelling do you think that anyone would actually bother to clean the rooflights? You therefore don’t need to worry about the partitions being visible as no-one should be able to see through the muck! Come to think of it if you do have mucky lights there is no reason to then cut holes in the roof?

Tim T

• Like 1

Thanks Jonathan,

On the model in the above link, the top lights look to be opaque/painted over.

Here on my model they will be clear, however I can still paint over them if need be

post-2873-0-05379800-1519839417_thumb.jpg

The glazing is only test fitted at the mo' coz' it needs a spot of paint here and there. On the down side though, where I've made the roof appatures its split parts of the roof, shouldn't be too difficult to repair.

Luckily all my previous misgivings about hitting the roof formers were unfounded (luck more than judgment)

What do you Guy's think???

Scott

Edited by gobbler
  • Like 7

This is superb - will be following with interest. I've not indulged in scratch building stock before, but enjoy the process with buildings, and with a liking for the 1900-1925 period, think I will either have to give it a go or acquire far better soldering skills than I have managed on the past 15 years...!

What took you soooooooooo long dseagull????

You just need a decent drawing and off you go, please give it a go.

Post your pic's and ask as many Q's as you like.

If you start your own thread post it here too.

Scott

Edited by gobbler

Scott, at the time period you are modelling do you think that anyone would actually bother to clean the rooflights? You therefore don’t need to worry about the partitions being visible as no-one should be able to see through the muck! Come to think of it if you do have mucky lights there is no reason to then cut holes in the roof?

Tim T

Too late.......wished I seen this sooner

Transitional period of around 1959ish

Scott

Edited by gobbler

I’m looking forward to seeing the passenger cattle wagon develop. Having seen the details in Historic Carriage Drawings which I suspect is your reference, I’ve always wanted one of these in 7mm. My problem is how to model the extensive louvred windows, if you can do it in 4mm then there’s no excuse. Looking at the photo/drawing it appears there is only a handbrake (GE ratchet type) on one side and I can’t tell if the Westinghouse brakes are still fitted. Hopefully your build will generate some input from others.

Nice GN van by the way

Bob

I’m looking forward to seeing the passenger cattle wagon develop. Having seen the details in Historic Carriage Drawings which I suspect is your reference, I’ve always wanted one of these in 7mm. My problem is how to model the extensive louvred windows, if you can do it in 4mm then there’s no excuse. Looking at the photo/drawing it appears there is only a handbrake (GE ratchet type) on one side and I can’t tell if the Westinghouse brakes are still fitted. Hopefully your build will generate some input from others.

Nice GN van by the way

Bob

I'm fairly confident in how I'm going to do the louvres (see my CCT at the end of my suburban coach thread) although I'm hatching a plan to do them slightly differently

My main concern are the 'W' irons for the wheels, I'm hatching a plan on how to do these as well. These will be made out of plasticard for starters anyway.

Keep watching, although I'll finish off the milk/luggage van first.

Scott

My last posting tonight

The top lights nearing completion and some Alan Gibson white metal torpedo vents added.post-2873-0-02273800-1519863032_thumb.jpg

Soon be time to start work on the underside

TTFN

Scott

• Like 3

I'm fairly confident in how I'm going to do the louvres (see my CCT at the end of my suburban coach thread) although I'm hatching a plan to do them slightly differently

My main concern are the 'W' irons for the wheels, I'm hatching a plan on how to do these as well. These will be made out of plasticard for starters anyway.

Keep watching, although I'll finish off the milk/luggage van first.

Scott

I found a good way of doing louvres that gives them a sloping flat surface. It is with a miss shape ofla cutter. Look at Pete's workbench, link below it's for a special luggage van.