Perseverance chassis kits

drduncan

Yes, it would be good to hear if anyone has heard anything about a future for all or part of the range. Not just the chassis kits, but other bits and kits (the 48xx kit would be nice to have around again).

Edited by johnarcher

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

I think there may be plans afoot to see if it is possible to reintroduce them as I have heard a few titbits but nothing concrete. on the other hand would it be commercially viable to reintroduce them

To make loads of money probably not. But the same could be said about any of the small suppliers.

Jason

Jason

You have a valid point of view, however any potential buyer needs to be certain they are not only going to get their investment back but show a profit, that is dependant on whether those winding up the estate firstly want to sell the business, then ask a reasonable price for it and lastly find a buyer

In someways for those with the skills it could be cheaper and better to start from scratch as modern software has moved on as have the etching process, then are the masters compatible with modern etchers requirements ?

Something well out of my depth

• RMweb Gold

I have looked everywhere for a scale LMS Compound chassis kit but all I can find is the Comet kit specifically designed for the Hornby model with its stretched wheelbase...........any ideas anyone???

Mike

How about the GEM etched chassis, I know they were temporally unavailable but might be back in operation now, Alan Gibson will do mainframes, not quite the same but with the Mainly Trains brake etchings back in production a good attempt could be cobbled together if needed

• Thanks 1

I went for the Gibson frames for my two GEM MR kits (the 4P and 3P/700 Class). Still unbuilt, but I believe they were designed to fit the GEM kits and are to scale. You might need a bit of fettling. Gibson also make most of the other parts you might want as well as they used to sell a Compound kit.

I don't think that GEM made a specific chassis for the Compound. In the instructions it recommends the L1 chassis, but the kit itself hasn't been available for years and wasn't one of the reissues. They used to make a generic chassis kit as a direct replacement for the L1 chassis, but I don't think they make that anymore either.

The available 4-4-0s now have scale chassis kits designed for that locomotive.

http://lytchettmanor.co.uk.websitebuilder.prositehosting.co.uk/lytchett-manor/oo-gauge-chassis-kits

Jason

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know where they were etched? An enquiry to the main etching companies may well find that the artwork is stored there and could be revived.

Just need to find out who owns the IP rights and do a deal with them.

I accept the point that they may not be "state of the art". But if they are simple to assemble and accurate dimensionally, that will do for most of us.

I do think the brand name "Perseverance" was a bit of a mistake. Makes them sound difficult to build.

As an educated guess it will be Chris Parish's estate

I know very little about the etching process, but remember from another thread that it is becoming harder to use older artwork, owing to the etching process moving on, presumable CAD software

2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Does anyone know where they were etched? An enquiry to the main etching companies may well find that the artwork is stored there and could be revived.

Just need to find out who owns the IP rights and do a deal with them.

I accept the point that they may not be "state of the art". But if they are simple to assemble and accurate dimensionally, that will do for most of us.

I do think the brand name "Perseverance" was a bit of a mistake. Makes them sound difficult to build.

One "Smaller Supplier" has been in touch with Chris Parrish's family, but they are not yet able/willing to decide what to do with the range.

The etch tools are probably with one of the two etchers popular with the model railway trade, but they will not act without authorisation from the Estate. The original artwork may have been returned to Chris Parrish when the tools were made. They may have gone back to Rod Neep, who as I believe designed some of the artwork, may still be with the etches or  may no longer exist. Whichever, it is dependant on what Chris's family wish to do if the range, or at least part of it, is ever to be reintroduced

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

One "Smaller Supplier" has been in touch with Chris Parrish's family, but they are not yet able/willing to decide what to do with the range.

The etch tools are probably with one of the two etchers popular with the model railway trade, but they will not act without authorisation from the Estate. The original artwork may have been returned to Chris Parrish when the tools were made. They may have gone back to Rod Neep, who as I believe designed some of the artwork, may still be with the etches or  may no longer exist. Whichever, it is dependant on what Chris's family wish to do if the range, or at least part of it, is ever to be reintroduced

Thanks, Jol, for that info. At least there is some contact underway and therefore some possibility of a future reintroduction.

On 06/07/2019 at 11:53, Chris Bowden said:

Chris Parrish recently died, his widow Heather is selling the remnants of stock for £6000,00. Contact her via the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

Is there a specific individual to contact at NYMR or an email address?

Edited by drduncan
Clarity

• 2 months later...
On 07/07/2019 at 07:08, polybear said:

Brassmasters have their own version - A030:

http://www.brassmasters.co.uk/accessories.htm

HTH

Brian

I bought a pannier chassis off ebay , most of the grooved bearings were missing. Assuming I would find it impossible to get any , I turned new ones on my lathe.  

Rob

On 07/07/2019 at 07:08, polybear said: