Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Which layouts have really inspired you?

PGN

.... JS-W's point about the prototype is well-made - we should not copy models, only what we see in 12" to the foot. That said, if you see a layout that motivates you to model, then I call that inspiration....

Yep, gotta agree. Whilst I understand and also agree with Jim about looking to the real world for inspiration, I've certainly seen layouts at exhibitions or in magazines that have made me think that's rather good (or a great idea) and it's made me want to get home to do some modelling, to try and improve my own efforts or to make something as good (but not the same). And I'd say that I was inspired.

G.

• Like 1

Off railway topic but into the philosophy.

When I was researching broinze and iron age boats the people who were the experts were the model makers. They had already done the research and knew the sources. They had solved the constructional problems in small scale.

When I look at layourts I compare with the prototype - and can ask the questions. It may be that the prototype detail does not exist in the phtographs or physically - but sharing the knowledge gives an insight into what should be modelled.

So the prototype, if it is there for promary research, is fine. It's the interpretation that can provide the inspiration.

Prototype for what to build, models for how to build if.

If, the prototype is long gone and images are difficult to obtain, then sometimes it is only a model that can inspire.

For me, it was Hursley which made me reconsider my direction but I wish that I could find out more about Chandlers Ford*

DesA

*Hursley's inspiration

• RMweb Premium

Steve Flint's "Kyle of Tongue"

"Witton" - saw it at York many years ago - a single track EMU branch with a connection into an oil terminal. That made me build two layouts......

"Boldon Junction" by the Furness MRC.

Inspiration and ideas for me come from other people's modelling AND real-life - which is actually quite easy when modelling the contemporary railway. ;)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I get inspired a little too easily I fear :) . But 3 that have stood tthe test of time for me,

Kyle of Tongue

Helston.

Both these caught my imagination as a spotty yoof, but stayed in the inspiration bank lurking till for 15yrs til I returned to the hobby

Combwich, made me fall in love with the real S&D.

MMM bit of BLT Bias there, one mans freedom fighter........

• RMweb Gold

Yep whilst we are on Kyle of Tongue :D

and for the same reasons.

I think its more the approaches of certain modellers I find actually give inspiration:

Ian Futers, Chris Nevard, Ken Gibbons and anyone else who can make not alot of space and stock into something lifelike and believable with good results.

• RMweb Premium

Three layouts; all for different reasons...

Peter Denny's Buckingham has appeared on this list a few times, and with good reason. I was lucky enough to see it 'in the flesh' and it was this layout that inspired my interest in operation.

Secondly is Tony McDiarmid's 'Shin Izu'. It was through this layout, and my conversations with him in his shop, that my interest in Japanese N gauge started.

Thirdly is a bit of an obscure one; but it is a modern era layout called 'West Bay', built and owned by Graham Ashley. It was through operating this layout that I appreciated just how much operating potential a small and very simple track layout could offer with a bit of thought.

My own Japanese terminus layout, which is currently under construction, takes its inspiration from these three very different layouts.

Interesting thread. There's more than three layouts that have inspired me, but I was interested to see from the thread many of the layouts I thought of have been a source of inspiration to other people as well.

I'll say the following three, but the list isn't exhaustive - when I read the names of layouts that had inspired others, I thought "yes I was inspired by that too"

Grandborough Junction (and the rest of the Buckingham Branch) - Peter Denny

Harlyn Junction - Brian Fayle

Castle Coombe - Ken Payne

Dinas Junction LNWR and narrow gauge interchange (possibly by Peter Kazer) In one of the first Railway Modellers I bought in 1980.introduced me to Pre Grouping steam

Pulborough by the MidSussex p4 group, near to where I l used to live and encouraged me to have a go at the Brighton line

Bramblewick by Tom Harland ,NER and a work of art. Once again , visiting Robin Hoods Bay puts his achievement into perspective

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Cutting it down to 3 is tough as many layouts have inspired me. Not in the "I want to go away and copy it" way but in the "that makes me want to try that little bit harder, if they can do it - why can't I" way!

Top of the list has to be Buckingham. All scratchbuilt, even down to the electric switching! Not because stuff couldn't be bought or because suitable kits or parts weren't avaialable (in later years many were) but for the pleasure and challenge of making things. I was lucky enough to visit the layout a few times and spend some time with the builder. Magic moments that top everything else in my modelling career! Buckingham made me want to build layouts that could be operated properly.

Second would be Borchester, in particular the "Locomotives of Borchester" series of articles. They made me want to build locos from a very early age. I was building loco kits from the age of 14 and scratchbuilt (very badly and never finished - but I tried!) a J11/3 at 15 years of age.

Any number of layouts could fill the third spot but I will go with Roy Jackson's Retford. Partly for the magnificent vision of one man deciding to build such a thing and then actually doing it. I consider nyself very lucky to call Roy a friend (amongst other things!!) and to be able to go regularly and have a slight input into the project is very rewarding, as is seeing some of the exquisite work being done by other highly skilled modellers there.

Having to bite my typing tongue now as there are so many that I have left out but without those three my modelling world would be quite different now!

• Like 1

Guest stuartp

Craig and Mertonford by PD Hancock - the backstory woven around it was at least as entertaining as the modelling.

Kyle of Tongue by Steve Flint, I stood for a long time watching this at York (?) when I was about 14 - more than anything else it convinced me that 6' x 4' was not the way to go and that less could indeed be more. This was the only one of my three that I actually saw in the flesh and it didn't disappoint.

Evercreech Junction by Shipley MRS - BR steam in 00, and beautifully done !

1..... Augher Valley, David Lloyd

2..... Marthwaite, and it's "Long Drag" successors, David Jenkinson

3..... Borchester, Frank Dyer

There may be layouts around today that have achieved greater realism, better running and superior operation, BUT the question was 'what inspired you'.

As for continued inspiration, the series of articles produced by the "LMS Society" which appeared in the Railway Modeller form circa 1964 take some beating.

Not only was there "LMS wagons" but numerous articles on LMS coaching stock, and some classes of loco. Combine these, with the LNWR inspired works of J.K. "Jack" Nelson and there are some great articles, the likes of which you don't see today.

Brian R

• Like 1

Kirtley - The original O-gauge MR exhibit on display at the Derby Museum & Art Gallery in the 1950s/60s. Always fascinated to watch the trains go round on a Saturday morning

That would have to be number one on my list, though it was 7mm. I too spent an occasional Saturday morning being wowed by that model, and I never ever wished to model anything else but Midland afterwards.

My second choice would be, like PGN, Chee Tor, for its epic scenic modelling (and the 2mm models of Tim Watson).

Third choice, and I was tempted to slip Mark Cox's Witney Euston in here, but it has to be another 7mm layout on the display rounds currently, Ellerton Road. I am trying to create something comparable in 2mm at the moment, and it is based close to the old stomping ground where I grew up.

Regards,

Chris

Hollybank Depot. Built well before diesel depot layouts seemed fashionable or commonplace, it still has a character all of its own. It has a real sense of time and place which many more recent depot layouts seem to lack.

Pottendorf. Made me realise continental European modelling doesn't have to be shiny and clean.

Strone Ferry. Seeing this coincided with a developing interest in the then-contemporary Scottish scene, and it served as the inspiration for my first (childhood) attempt at a model railway (as opposed to train set). A theme I must revisit one day.

It was very hard to choose three, so really it's a case of layouts that left a lasting impression on me. Any number of other layouts have made me think "I'm going to try and reach that standard", and a number have made me feel that I can do better. But most of all, the wide variety that are out there show me there's a niche for everyone in this hobby.

• Like 2

1. Cement Quay. After a nearly 30 year absence from the hobby, I came across this by accident and it made me want to model again.

2. Pengwynn Crossing. There's something inherently "right" about this layout and I never tire of seeing it. A good example of the benefits of not trying to cram in too much track. The boys at Bentley MRC are right to retire it for a makeover and I look forward to seeing it after its revamp.

3. So hard to choose from so many but, Matford was one I discovered shortly after returning to the hobby and I was captivated by some of the detail.

so many out there that have my interest, but i can only choose three?

1. eagle rock- just so much detail.

2. crumley & wickhill- being able to look down the valley instead of just one side of it.

3. bottletop colliery- a working conveyer belt to load the wagons

Three that I've seen as opposed to read about,

Gauxholme Viaduct, perhaps the first 'northern grot' layout that I remember, also seeing some of the buildings before they were finished in a certain Saddleworth emporium

http://www.rmrg.co.uk/LayoutsPrevious/Gauxholme/Photos.aspx?Group=1&Photo=1 not as well known as some mentioned here, but certainly my favourite

Deepcar, absolutely anything with 1500v dc gets my vote, DC kits EM1 duly purchased...............

Kew Bridge, returning to modelling and deciding to try and build a tram layout, this one showed what can be achieved, no superquick buildings, no round the houses track plan and no 'I'll have one from Glasgow, one from Sheffield, one from London..........................'

Potwell Mineral Light Railway - Never heard of it? Well it appeared in two issues of the MRN in the late 1950s and I've never forgotten it. A small colliery/mineral line set in Kent. Lots of detail and very atmospheric. Anybody else remember it?

While I don't remember it from its first appearance I have the articles (removed from the magazines) in a file still.

My three inspirational layouts are :-

Torandor Quarry Railway (RM Feb1971) by Doreen Andrews, it opened my eyes to narrow gauge railways and modelling - still trying after 40 years!

West Highland lines in N by Chris Thorp which showed a layout with operational interest and scenery.

Yaxbury Branch by Jas Millham for similar reasons.

Minories - when I first became seriously interested in modelling, all I could see were BLTs. But I had no experience of them, and I wanted to model something urban. And then I saw Minories in a planbook and went 'that's it!'

Hedges Hill Cutting - I've always had an interest in SR 3rd-rail land, and seeing EMUs so well modelled in such a small space, made me think 'I could do that.' Still haven't, mind...

Fisher Street to Victoria Bridge - April 1985 Railway Modeller. A 7'6" x 7'6" L-shaped layout, with Woodhead electrics and diesels, set in industrial Sourh Yorkshire. I still cannot work out how it all fitted in that space but I still want to try.

• Like 1

This is a hard one:

Teddy Boston's Olton Priors- 60's scenery and lots of proprietary hacks, but it was a real railway, it worked to a timetable and it felt like a real place.

Garsdale Road - the layout was probably better it photos than reality but it looked like the real thing, was believable and led to the Long Drag.

WS Norris' O gauge layout. - I don't care that he had loads of money and access to tiger whiskers it was simply stunning and years ahead of the rest.

(Guess who grew uo with Dad'sRailway Modeller and MRN collection.)

loads more inspiring layouts but only allowed 3 and I'm so surprised that none of these have been mentioned yet.

Kev