Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

At EM North I ordered a couple of Mousa Models kits, NER diagram S1 8 ton ironstone hoppers, these arrived on Saturday and were a welcome surprise when I arrived home from Wigan on Sunday night. Monday and Tuesday nights saw the first one just about finished, the second started tonight. 

Bearings fitted to the axleguards/inner solebar units.

attachicon.gifIMGP9589-001.JPG

The one piece frame has been cleaned of any flash.

attachicon.gifIMGP9590-001.JPG

Not a lot of cleaning up on the one piece hopper body moulding.

attachicon.gifIMGP9591-001.JPG

Quite a bit of flash on the detail parts, don't let this put you off though, a quick scrape over with a knife and it was gone.

attachicon.gifIMGP9592-001.JPG

The moulded solebars were glued over the inner brass ones, the moulded pips going right through and...

attachicon.gifIMGP9594-001.JPG

...locate in holes in the frame. The axlebox/spring mouldings fitted quite nicely.

attachicon.gifIMGP9599-001.JPG

The body drops into the hole easily. Corner steps added too, located on the moulded pips on the solebars.

attachicon.gifIMGP9600-001.JPG

Brake gear added to both ends, it looks delicate but is really quite tough and flexible.

attachicon.gifIMGP9601-001.JPG

The 'Monkey Tails' are nice little brass castings and locate on the hopper bottom.

attachicon.gifIMGP9603-001.JPG

End handrails and buffers added.

attachicon.gifIMGP9605-001.JPG

There is a bit of space under the hopper for a bit of liquid lead.

attachicon.gifIMGP9606-001.JPG

A first coat of paint all round.

attachicon.gifIMGP9607-001.JPG

I like that. How old is the prototype, what sort of capacity and where they for iron ore..

Andy

• RMweb Gold

How many of the little hoppers are you intending to build.... looks like they could breed rather nicely into a long train? 

Just a couple, there could be more but I have no need for more, these will be shunted into a siding on 'the Depots' occasionally as a couple of cripples or whatever. At £22.50 each they're not the cheapest so a long train would add up.

I like that. How old is the prototype, what sort of capacity and where they for iron ore..

Andy

Originally introduced in 1856 they carried 8 tons of ironstone, improved over the years with the addition of sprung buffers. I'll take a photo of it next to a 20 coal hopper, they're tiny! The last one ended its days as a bin in BR days and it's last trip was in another wagon and it was dumped on Etherley tip where it presumably lies buried today.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Paul,

I've just bought a few of these S1 Ironstone wagons from Bill, could I ask what type of glue you are using to stick the resin castings togethor with. Don't want to get it wrong and ruin the look of the finished model or have them fall apart in the future.

Thanks, SteveT

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

I've just bought a few of these S1 Ironstone wagons from Bill, could I ask what type of glue you are using to stick the resin castings togethor with. Don't want to get it wrong and ruin the look of the finished model or have them fall apart in the future.

Thanks, SteveT

Just an ordinary thickish superglue with a couple of drops of accelerator to finish it off.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Paul, would you be able please to tell me where I can get "north eastern railway" transfers? I have 4 P7 hoppers to re paint and letter. Thanks.

Ah, problem there, I used the transfers that came with the kit, the alphabet is, I think, intended for the alpha/numerical numbering of wagons, there's not enough of certain letters to do both sides of one wagon and the transfers probably aren't available any more.

Powsides do them as rub down

Paul,

I could not find these on POWside's website?  Would you mind pasting the link?

Like the other Paul, I used the alphabet from the Slaters transfers that come with the 4mm kit.  Mind you, you need 3 complete sets to do one wagon with the full legend due to the number of As (more if you cock it up like me!).

• RMweb Gold

There are letters on the PowSides sheets but like the Slaters sheet they are intended for alpha/numeric numbering, it would cosy £40-£50 as a rough estimate to do 1 wagon. Plus you tend to waste even more rubdown transfers than you successfully use, they are thin and neat though.

I bought a sheet of 7mm hopper transfers from Slaters recently and while the old sheet I had, had "North Eastern Railway" the new one didn't and is all LNER and BR only.

I highly doubt coopercraft will have any.

Edited by Nelson Jackson