Worsdell forever's Workbench - Loads of North Eastern Stuff

• RMweb Gold

Decided as a break from layout work and wagons I would have a go at some unfinished projects, this one was started 4 1/2 years ago... http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/3252-worsdell-forevers-workbench-loads-of-north-eastern-stuff/?p=560565 originally to be built in 00 and lateish LNER it has now been re-gauged to EM and will be finished in NER green as a class Q. Steps have been added along with a few small parts and the cab roof with it's clerestory has been made. The tender was started last night with the frame put together steps next then the tank.

post-7104-0-64089300-1467047809_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Guest royal signals

Hi,

on page #1071, you showed an image of NER wagons of P4, P5 & P17, who makes these kits? I know Dave Geen makes the P4 and he lives close to me(but have yet to contact him) but what about the others.

Thanks 

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Got the coal rails on the tender last night, class Q had 4 plated rails from new, M started out with three and gained an extra one and plating later. When I got them on something didn't look right, the front of the coal space seemed to be protruding above the curve of the rails, this is fitted in slots so can't be wrong, surely? It seems it is, I've compared the rails with drawings and other kits and they all match, the toolboxes don't fit on their shelf so it will have to be moved, well, it's better than making new coal rails...

post-7104-0-69575100-1467306896_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Yes, as you say - the coal plate is in the wrong place relative to the coal rails. There's a good side-on view in Yeadon 34, p.12. 

It may be that your coal rails are slightly too far back, but it's hard to tell without seeing the rear of the tender. The flare on the LRM NE tender is too wide and deep (assuming this tender is the same as the one supplied with their J25). Lain out flat, the flare is (IIRC) over 4mm, whereas on a Bradwell tender it is 3mm when flat. As well as making the tender look wrong, this wreaks all sorts of havoc on alignments on the LRM NE tender - again, always assuming the D17 tender is the same as the J25. In this case, too much flare at the rear could be putting the front of the coal rails in the wrong position. 

I binned most of the tender from the footplate up on the J25, and replaced it with a Bradwell body. Nowadays I'd just scratchbuild the flares: five thou plate with, for the beading, a piece of 0.6mm wire shaped and then flattened until it matches all dimensions (including thickness) on the Bradwell flare. Shaping has to precede flattening. 

Another thing is the shape of the coal rails. These should be half-round. Bradwell recommends running a file between them to create that shape. I solder the rear (unplated) section to a piece of scrap brass so that the rails don't splay during the filing. 

post-708-0-49892000-1467310348.jpg

Edited by Daddyman

• RMweb Gold

Completely different tender, this is a 3940g one and the etch designed by Steve Barnfield, the J25 has a 3038g one and came from the George Norton Range (possibly one he took over). The flare as I've curved it looks about right and the rails are in pretty much the right place. 

• RMweb Premium

Completely different tender, this is a 3940g one and the etch designed by Steve Barnfield, the J25 has a 3038g one and came from the George Norton Range (possibly one he took over). The flare as I've curved it looks about right and the rails are in pretty much the right place. 

wasn't the

J25 from North Star?

• RMweb Premium

Ah, I see. Not a class I'm familiar with, but the square dome should have told me that this was a different tender. 

It appears from your photos (hard to see) that the flare is part of the bodyside, so there's no lap joint - is that right? As I said, hard to tell from the photos. 

These locos might have run from Northallerton via Leyburn Junction to Grassington, then over Crook Rise Junction and Hanlith Junction to Kirby Malham. That is if they dare put their snouts in Midland territory.

Derek

Edited by Mrkirtley800
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've moved the front of the coal space back and it all looks better now. I've also got the handrails, lamp brackets and  handbrake and water pickup handles fitted, just needs castings now.

post-7104-0-99429300-1467670392_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-37604600-1467670399_thumb.jpg

First to guess what I'm planning to do with this gets a like! (no rude answers please!)

post-7104-0-64627300-1467670407_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

First to guess what I'm planning to do with this gets a like! (no rude answers please!)

attachicon.gifIMGP9483-001.JPG

Cut across it & add a bit to make it taller?

I'ts taller than the one it will replace.

Will you be fitting third rail collecting shoes to the tender ?

Although some NER locos had third rail shoes, not this one.