FTG Models - SPA wagon - Network Rail

Hugh Flynn

If someone noticed a possible problem why didn't they mention it in a sensible way on here at a time when Hugh could check the preproduction sample, instead of waiting and then slagging off the finished model. Defo. sounds like the green eyed monster to me, many thanks to Andy Y for removing this person and WELL DONE HUGH!!! keep up the good work good luck with the next wagon and hopefully many more. 

I stopped following this thread because of the unnecessary bile that seemed to build up a head of steam just as the container was arriving. I will now re-follow this with interest. Both James Makin and I have invested in some of these wagons and we are both looking forward to seeing these run through Loftus Road in the coming months and years.

As many have said, thank you to Hugh and Dave for their time, effort and investments. It takes a certain type of person to be willing to make the jump into the unknown and you have both shown fortitude and good grace, despite the unkindness from a small, disquieted few (empty?) vessels. Thank you also to Andy for stepping when you did - I hate to think that more members would have been angered to the extent that we have recently seen.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Hugh,

As this is your project and you seem to be the only person with more than one wagon why not post some photos showing them coupled up?  Or even a video showing them in action?

Would take 15 minutes and would I imagine be a great incentive to others to order more, not to mention completely pull the rug out from the naysayers!

It's what I would do if it was an NGS product being debated.

cheers

Ben A.

I'm sorry but that rant about the couplings was just to have another dig. If they are a bit short then even the less skilled modeller can just put a longer shaft coupler in the NEM pocket.

Oh well Hugh, at least you can get some peace and quiet now with no more nasty snipes.

Good look with all the packing. Looking forward to getting my model soon.

Cheers

Marcus

I'm sorry but that rant about the couplings was just to have another dig. If they are a bit short then even the less skilled modeller can just put a longer shaft coupler in the NEM pocket.

Oh well Hugh, at least you can get some peace and quiet now with no more nasty snipes.

Good look with all the packing. Looking forward to getting my model soon.

Cheers

Marcus

Indeed - length much easier than height which we seem to have to tackle all the time from all manufacturers... Hugh looking forward to my early xmas pressies. Oh and my indigestion has suddenly cured in last 24 hours... Thanks andy!

At last. As a purchaser of these wagons I can read this thread without putting up with the dubiously motivated posts from adrianbs.

I am happy with genuine, constructive criticism and am adult enough to make my purchasing decisions based upon these. I am afraid that it was clear to me that adrianbs had some sort of agenda. I admit that I have shouted angrily at my phone as I read his posts - much to my wife's amusement!

I am really forward to receiving my wagons and running them in a typical 1990s Speedlink rake.

Well done, Hugh, for bringing this to fruition. Hopefully, the negativity expressed by one ex-poster has not dampened your enthusiasm.

Andrew

Indeed - length much easier than height which we seem to have to tackle all the time from all manufacturers... Hugh looking forward to my early xmas pressies. Oh and my indigestion has suddenly cured in last 24 hours... Thanks andy!

Yes, but.....

If there is an issue (and I stress if) it isn't something that the user should need to fix, and spend money on, with a brand new product.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

That's it; I've had enough.

I gave you a final warning in a PM which you have not bothered to acknowledge despite reading the PM and advised that further inflammatory content would lead to removal of access from the site. You obviously can't help yourself and thus, as advised, access will be removed.

No doubt one of his alter-egos will pick up the baton today.

• RMweb Premium

My two have just arrived.

I haven't time to do anything other than have a quick look at one.

It's well packaged.

First glance - the "loose" suspension units may need a bit of control - until I try them on points later, I can't comment. The tension lock couplings do look a bit short behind the buffer head and again, until tried out on track, no comment. That won't be an issue to me, as I'll be changing the couplings anyway.

Until I compare alongside my Cambrian kits and pictures, I've no idea if there are any issues as others have highlighted.

No doubt others will make a more reasoned and detailed assessment later, but my very first impression is that it looks like a SPA..................

Congratulations to Hugh.

Off to work.....

Cheers,

Mick

Yes, but.....

If there is an issue (and I stress if) it isn't something that the user should need to fix, and spend money on, with a brand new product.

Rob

Quite true and I don't think many would disagree.  I enjoy reading honest reviews of products (it's my favourite part of the modelling magazines) and if there are issues, it's important to highlight them, especially for the development of future models.  The issue is that there are ways to do this that are acceptable and ways that really grate after a while.

• RMweb Premium

Off to work.....

Cheers,

Mick

Work was short... Here's a quick review.

The body is commendably thin and under bright light is slightly opaque, but this is only visible with bright side on lighting. Weathering of the insides, will make this un-noticeable. The other fix is to mould the sides thicker, but that's not a good idea.

The upper brake arm guide (especially on the side with the short brake arm) does need extending, but that's a few minutes work with some styrene. I can understand why it has been missed - it's probably a bit fragile in "mid-air".

post-408-0-41075500-1418472024_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-09349400-1418472028_thumb.jpg

The coupling does look a bit short and does buffer lock on anything but the slightest curve, but it's a VERY simple fix. Upper wagon is fixed. I've run them backwards and forwards over some large radius reverse curves with eth mod and they're fine. If there are any longer term issues with the flexi axle mounts, then the fix is likely to be the same for all my long wheelbase wagons from Hornby and Bachmann - a dab of silicone sealer to hold them in place.

post-408-0-21069100-1418472020_thumb.jpg

Nothing more than easing the tension lock out of the NEM pocket. At least it's easier to do this, than try and shorten the coupling if it had been too long. For those using Kadee's - just use a longer shank...... (The coupling needs straightening before a dab of glue to hold it in place. The amount at which it is pulled out is down to the user's curves.......

post-408-0-64203400-1418472014_thumb.jpg

The underframe detail is far superior to my Cambrian efforts, as are the buffers!

Would I run them alongside my Cambrian SPA's? (Yes - there were five painted yellow).

post-408-0-15375800-1418472031_thumb.jpg

post-408-0-20675800-1418472034_thumb.jpg

With a little weathering - undoubtedly yes.

It's also highly likely that my FTG SPA fleet will be expanded.

Cheers,

Mick

The body is commendably thin and under bright light is slightly opaque, but this is only visible with bright side on lighting. Weathering of the insides, will make this un-noticeable. The other fix is to mould the sides thicker, but that's not a good idea.

The upper brake arm guide (especially on the side with the short brake arm) does need extending, but that's a few minutes work with some styrene. I can understand why it has been missed - it's probably a bit fragile in "mid-air".

attachicon.gifSPA (4)c.jpg

attachicon.gifSPA (6)c.jpg

The coupling does look a bit short and does buffer lock on anything but the slightest curve, but it's a VERY simple fix. Upper wagon is fixed. I've run them backwards and forwards over some large radius reverse curves with eth mod and they're fine. If there are any longer term issues with the flexi axle mounts, then the fix is likely to be the same for all my long wheelbase wagons from Hornby and Bachmann - a dab of silicone sealer to hold them in place.

attachicon.gifSPA (3)c.jpg

Nothing more than easing the tension lock out of the NEM pocket. At least it's easier to do this, than try and shorten the coupling if it had been too long. For those using Kadee's - just use a longer shank...... (The coupling needs straightening before a dab of glue to hold it in place. The amount at which it is pulled out is down to the user's curves.......

attachicon.gifSPA (2)c.jpg

The underframe detail is far superior to my Cambrian efforts, as are the buffers!

Would I run them alongside my Cambrian SPA's? (Yes - there were five painted yellow).

attachicon.gifSPA (7)c.jpg

attachicon.gifSPA (8)c.jpg

It's also highly likely that the FTG SPA fleet will be expanded.

Cheers,

Mick

Thanks, a useful review with clear pictures. 

Interesting and good to see that the wagon has been moulded with thinner sides; this has been a complaint with Bachmann wagons of similar style, such as the OBA and OCA. 

The coupling issue is certainly something Hugh can consider on the next wagon, but the fix on this one is simple, even if this is someone's first wagon.  I use screw link and Instanter couplings any way, so not an issue for me.  In fact, it's nice to see a decent coupling hook with a large opening to attach these to, unlike the small opening Bachmann have on theirs which have to be filed open.

No doubt one of his alter-egos will pick up the baton today.

Oh yes - they look rubbish !!!           :no:

and I'm really glad they are just out of the period I've modelled so I don't have to suffer the trauma of buying something so imperfect. :jester:

That the sort of thing ???

Please, please, can we have an equally rubbish CO2 tank so soon as possible..................... :good:

Cheers,

Mick

I want!!! Did the SPAs come in more liveries?

Cheers,

Mick

As for the five Network Rail wagons - Any excuse to get the yellow paint out.....LOL

Seriously though Mick a very useful review so thanks for posting.

What a really hard fix that was!!!!! Like I said before it was just another chance to have a dig and he got his comeuppance.

Can't wait to get mine now and looking forward to the Dutch ones in the next batch.

Well done Hugh for what looks like a very nice model.

Cheers

Marcus.

SEA yes but Trainload Metals might be a bit of an ask as very few got repainted IIRC, Dutch must be the next most numerous after Railfreight Red then I guess it could be Metals,SEA's (Red) or SDA's

My consignment is in the post, looking forward to getting them

Thanks Mick for the useful info, mine are in the post and I look forward to getting them. They will be going into a Steel working on Newlands first. It was down to you mentioning the sample that you saw that made me go and order in advance.

AJA spa's have had quite a few liveries including railfreight red, Dutch, EWS, Loadhaul so plenty to go it over time.

And thanks to Andy for getting rid of AdrianBS i think the BS comes from a Bulls backside but that is probably putting it too nicely.

Well done Hugh

Thanks

Mark

AJA spa's have had quite a few liveries including railfreight red, Dutch, EWS, Loadhaul so plenty to go it over time.

I think the BS comes from a Bulls backside but that is probably putting it too nicely.

Well done Hugh

Thanks

Mark

Thanks mate!!

And yes it does come from the bull's backside :D

My 4 SPA's have just arrived and despite the gloom mongers predictions they are in my eyes very good renditions of the real thing. Are they perfect - possibly not but I don't think anything is perfect, I know that I could not have achieved what Hugh has done to get these models made for us.

Thanks Hugh and looking forward to more models from you.

Martin.

Well my 16 have turned up today and will they look good/right behind a pair of 37's - definitely. I haven't tried them yet but if the couplings have to be moved slightly and glued then fine, no different to fixing the floating axle and adding some weight to the original Hornby HAA's. Yes you could buy the Cambrian kit (and I've got some both built and to build) but by the time you've paid the postage, got wheels, bearings and couplings then added paint and transfers you will get pretty close to the same price without time to build it.

Looking forwards to the next versions

Brian

Well my 16 have turned up today and will they look good/right behind a pair of 37's - definitely. I haven't tried them yet but if the couplings have to be moved slightly and glued then fine, no different to fixing the floating axle and adding some weight to the original Hornby HAA's. Yes you could buy the Cambrian kit (and I've got some both built and to build) but by the time you've paid the postage, got wheels, bearings and couplings then added paint and transfers you will get pretty close to the same price without time to build it.

Looking forwards to the next versions

Brian

And unless you are blessed with modelling skills (especially painting skills) deserving of the kits, you may not achieve as good a result. My scrap bin is quite full......

Archived