Lime Street Station

Les Green

• RMweb Gold

Put it all together......

Now using the painted components, the "trial assembly" seen earlier is repeated.

We also saw earlier that the location on the baseboard co-incided with a couple of timber battens.

This requires the servo motor, LED etc to be mounted some 35mm below the base of the signal.

My usual assembly/transport frame is made to the corresponding thickness, so we have:

post-3984-0-64726300-1397419939_thumb.jpg

The assembled signal is in place, with the servo motor mounted below.

The LED is connected to a 9v battery for testing, and my test rig with two GF Servo Controllers is being used.

(Only one servo being connected this time).

Here are some detail shots of the signal and the operating bits:

Front:

post-3984-0-69405200-1397419951_thumb.jpg

Rear:

post-3984-0-59423800-1397419948_thumb.jpg

Signal cleared:

post-3984-0-23896500-1397419950_thumb.jpg

Side view, showing the operating wire:

(You can also see the fibre optic in this shot.)

post-3984-0-30680500-1397420045_thumb.jpg

The servo is mounted:

post-3984-0-89407200-1397419955_thumb.jpg

post-3984-0-62536800-1397419953_thumb.jpg

With the battery connected:

post-3984-0-05291900-1397419947_thumb.jpg

I've made a little video of it operating, which I'll put on YouTube asap.

I'll post a link later.

Steve.

• Like 9

Here's the video.....

LNWR Ground Signal

(Sorry the last section is a bit blurred)

Steve.

Think your link is wonky there - goes to an edit page, which then directs me back to my own YouTube account page. Think it should go here?

edit: fixed, nothing to see here :no:

Edited by ed1234

• RMweb Gold

Think your link is wonky there - goes to an edit page, which then directs me back to my own YouTube account page. Think it should go here?

Thanks very much for pointing that out.

Because its in my YouTube account it works for me of course!!!!!

Please can you edit the link in your quote above so it works everywhere.

Steve.

• RMweb Premium

Grainge and Hodder do one offs without any problem but the smallest they do is a 9" by 6" which gets you the tool and two copies for about £65.   I believe that PPD are good for small amounts due to the process they use.

Jamie

Grainge and Hodder do one offs without any problem but the smallest they do is a 9" by 6" which gets you the tool and two copies for about £65.   I believe that PPD are good for small amounts due to the process they use.

Jamie

Probably cheaper to use PPD than order one offs. I have plenty of work done by PPD and, yes, they do small amounts. Probably need to add some more stuff to make up even a small sheet for etching. Thanks for the response.

attachicon.gifIMG_5243.jpg

First attempt at a working station clock. Need to obtain more prototypical fingers (anybody know a good source?) or etch some next time I do some etching.

Hello Les,

Would it be possible to glue overlays printed on quality paper with an inkjet printer?

trustytrev.

Our old friend Jimmy Carlin, one of the Lime street team who helped with the layout in its early days drove his last train into Lime Street on 5/7/1990, a train from Plymouth,he worked at all the Liverpool steam sheds. here are some photos of his career, some here will remember him from exhibitions in his retired years. One of the packing boxes for the layout was always known as "Jimmy's coffin" long before and still is today.

post-27-0-19923400-1398713952_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-00338200-1398714005_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-12219600-1398714111_thumb.jpg

about to drive a "glorified tram" as he called them at Euston, train to Lime Street.

post-27-0-45606900-1398716101_thumb.jpg

1947, not sure of loco

post-27-0-61282600-1398714188_thumb.jpg

1957, Risley ROF CLC, before working a train to Aintree central. anyone good with photo restoration?

post-27-0-07821000-1398714249_thumb.jpg

post-27-0-31016400-1398715986_thumb.jpg

at home in Walton in the 1960s.

post-27-0-14888900-1398714310_thumb.jpg

stand up comic publicity shot 1960s

post-27-0-72612500-1398715237_thumb.jpgGI

Giving a wave as he passes Fords sidings Halewood Liverpool on his last run before retirement.

post-27-0-87341100-1398717238_thumb.jpg

Jimmy Carlin 1925-2009.

Edited by Michael Delamar
  • Like 14

I came across a diagram of Lime Street Station earlier and thought it was worth sharing on here. It was published in a book titled 'Modern Railway Working' which was released in 1912. Looking at the plan, the one thing that I noticed are the additional catch/trap points compared to just the single trap that appears on the model. Perhaps someone could confirm whether they are included in the 1945-47 layout plan and have been omited from the model or were simply not there later on. All in all a very interesting piece of information to come by.

post-15291-0-82861600-1398786023_thumb.jpg

I should add that I have taken this image from the following website, which does not credit the image to anyone or the author. In which case I assume the image to be copyright free. http://locodriver.co.uk/Railway_Encyclopedia/Part219/Part03/index.html If you click on the image, it opens up to quite a large version.

Michael

Edited by Michael Woolford
  • Like 3

Michael Woolford, on 29 Apr 2014 - 16:41, said:

I should add that I have taken this image from the following website, which does not credit the image to anyone or the author. In which case I assume the image to be copyright free. http://locodriver.co.uk/Railway_Encyclopedia/Part219/Part03/index.html If you click on the image, it opens up to quite a large version.

Michael

While browsing that site I picked up this..    "Virus:HTML/Allaple.A"

I came across a diagram of Lime Street Station earlier and thought it was worth sharing on here. It was published in a book titled 'Modern Railway Working' which was released in 1912. Looking at the plan, the one thing that I noticed are the additional catch/trap points compared to just the single trap that appears on the model. Perhaps someone could confirm whether they are included in the 1945-47 layout plan and have been omited from the model or were simply not there later on. All in all a very interesting piece of information to come by.

attachicon.gifLime Street Plan.jpg

Michael

Hi Michael

I spoke to John about the missing traps when he happened to be on the same train travelling up to Glasgow show back in February and he was aware of them and was thinking of adding them as dummies now because of how far on he is with the build. I am sure one of his team can confirm this.

Looking at the plan I think it dates from pre 1896 (ish) as that's when the connections at the end of platforms 6 and 7 (4 and 3 on here) were altered. Also I have a plan that shows another trap in the scissors to the right of the signal box which effectively created a short through siding in the middle of the throat where a loco could stand.

Nice find

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

No, its known as our "Dynamic Wheel Cleaner".

Thin strip of tissue - single ply of cheapest is best.

Spray with Iso-Propyl Alcohol, keep it damp.

Every train arriving at the sector plate from the station runs over this.

Keeps the wheels clean, and we never have to clean the track.

We were finding that cleaning the track before a show caused damage.

As we never clean it between shows, and it runs without problems, why run the risk of more damage by cleaning it then?

The Station Pilot still gets very dirty, as it never leaves the station (except to have its wheels cleaned). :O

For a "Deep Clean" of the stock we spread out a full sheet of kitchen roll over a length of track, soak it in IPA and handball the stock, item by item, over it.

Steve.

Steve,

I've been going through the whole LLS thread and came across the sector plate video and the question and your answer about your "Dynamic Wheel Cleaner" and I've a couple of questions about it.

(1) What is the underlay as it look's like cork?

(2) Does the underlay not absorb the Iso-Propyl Alcohol?

(3) If its purpose is both as wheel/track cleaner - why is it not on both incoming and out going roads?

Dave

Edited by dave k

• RMweb Gold

Spot on Michael, thanks.

The other reason for not using the cleaner on outbound tracks:

Occasionally we forget to keep the tissue damp, and it can then lift a little and snag on a guard iron.

This pushes the tissue in front of the train. No great problem, and its easily seen on the sector plate and dealt with.

The outbound tracks go immediately into a tunnel and such an occurance would not be spotted imediatey, and would have to be dealt with "On-scene", in the confines of the cutting.

Steve.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Last Saturday four of the Lime Street team enjoyed a very interesting trip to see and (try to) operate Mike Norris's "Preston".

For those not in the know, this is another scale model of a real location, this time in P4.

What a model it is!
It represents the main ex-LNWR part of Preston station as it was about 1950 I think.

Mike hasn't room for the ex-L&Y part (which no longer exists).

The train control is DCC, but all the route setting and signalling is effected from five Signal Boxes, using vast lever frames and arrays of block instruments.

It requires nine operators to run it all properly, and thankfully several of Mike's experienced team were on hand to coach the four of us.

Although it is so large, with very complex trackwork and necessarily tight curves (to get into and out of the fiddle yards), it ran almost perfectly.

I believe there was only one derailment, when John H. was propelling a train of short wheelbase wagons!

To round off the afternoon, we were entertained to a lovely meal by Mike's wife Elaine.

Thanks Mike and Elaine for making the day truly memorable.

We're now looking forward to being able to offer a return visit to Mike's team who can come and operate Lime Street when we get all the boards erected once more.

More of that shortly I hope............

Steve.

• Like 1