MLV Pre-production shots

St. Simon

• RMweb Gold

The photograph (and link) is post 82 is actually of the "The Vulcan Vantrain" which ran on March 15th 1986 from Paddington with 50025 to Hastings, thence 33206 to Ashford. Here the train was split (as Robert Carroll describes) and 33201,33206,50025 and 73003 took the now two trains between Ashford and Folkestone. The highlight would have been 68001 and 68005 hauling the train between Ashford- Ashford via Sandwich and Dover Priory.

This info is really helpful Natalie. Purely by chance I saw 50 025 at West St Leonards with the SEG railtour (thumbnail image at http://trevellan.com/images/rail1.html) and was still there when it ran back light in the up direction a short time afterwards. I also saw 33 206 at Hastings a little earlier in the day, but did not connect the two events at the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the pre-production shots still show the error in the cabside window lengths on one side (with the battery hatches to the right). I really hope they have corrected the full production models.

I can't see anything wrong with it to me the windows look how they should be on the blue/grey & green one though the not sure on the green with yellow panels though it could just be the angle of the shot,

• RMweb Premium

Hard to tell from that video but the cabside windows both look identical to me and they shouldn't be! Really need to see decent side on still shots to be sure though.

Just had an e-mail from Hattons, the pre-order price goes up by another three quid in a few days time!!

Hard to tell from that video but the cabside windows both look identical to me and they shouldn't be! Really need to see decent side on still shots to be sure though.

Just had an e-mail from Hattons, the pre-order price goes up by another three quid in a few days time!!

Still seems quite good value at £66, compared with the price of Heljan Class 128 Diesel parcels car at £94.00

To me on this shot the windows look spot on photo.php

Cheers

James

The photo you linked to shows the correct side anyway - it is the other side that has the question mark, with the battery hatches to the right.

Still, I have pre-ordered a green syp and a blue/grey one, so here's hoping.

The photo you linked to shows the correct side anyway - it is the other side that has the question mark, with the battery hatches to the right.

Still, I have pre-ordered a green syp and a blue/grey one, so here's hoping.

Oh I see what you mean now I always assumed it was both sides, Yeah I wanna get the blue/grey one hopefully they do some more liverys and do some with a headlamp,

James

I'm sure that Bachmann will offer more liveries in the future - the MLVs were not many in number but they carried a good few liveries and variations!

Yeah think only 10 Class 419s were built but they all had a mix of different liveries during there lives,

It's odds on that a NSE liveried example will be either a Bachmann Collectors Club model or a retailer commission...

If they do then I am joining to get one :victory: .

James

Yes I think it will sell well!

I woder if perhaps Bachmann have considered a non powered version,?

The 4 CEP has no problems in hauling more than 3 trailers,

Then of course theres the TLV, which was a converted Mark 1 full brake, but this was apparently an 'awkward' car in use as it had no driving cabs so had to be marshalled between EMU sets.

I fear they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they produced an unpowered version. They could produce it as part of a double pack with a motorised unit but they then risk eBay sellers, split packs etc.

Confirmation in the latest Collectors' Club mag that the 419s "have been completed and are in transit."

I fear they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they produced an unpowered version. They could produce it as part of a double pack with a motorised unit but they then risk eBay sellers, split packs etc.

Confirmation in the latest Collectors' Club mag that the 419s "have been completed and are in transit."

A twin pack could be a good idea!, but it has to be said that Dapol do quite well aparently with their unpowerd N Gauge locos & railcars etc

-----------------------------------------------

What is the story of the MLVs did they run as single units ever? Or more than one MLV as a unit, or were they always marchalled as part of a passenger service?

• RMweb Gold

A twin pack could be a good idea!, but it has to be said that Dapol do quite well aparently with their unpowerd N Gauge locos & railcars etc

-----------------------------------------------

What is the story of the MLVs did they run as single units ever? Or more than one MLV as a unit, or were they always marchalled as part of a passenger service?

Have a read through the previous seven pages... it's a very comprehensive catalog of information :declare:

Morning...... :O

Here are 2,in different liveries, or could it be 1,Jaffa looks a bit suspect ? passing Dover Town Yard on the "down" To Dover. Possibly on a water carrying mission during a drought..?

taken from a slide image,sorry about quality.......

Photograph Copyright Andy Howard. Courtesy of Andy Howard.

julyo9andysdovertownyard051.jpg

Yes I think it will sell well!

I woder if perhaps Bachmann have considered a non powered version,?

The 4 CEP has no problems in hauling more than 3 trailers,

Then of course theres the TLV, which was a converted Mark 1 full brake, but this was apparently an 'awkward' car in use as it had no driving cabs so had to be marshalled between EMU sets.

I seem to recall that Replica were going to offer an unpowered version of their MLV.

I spoke to one of their crew recently, and was told that, although being 'pipped to the post' by Bachmann, they are still going ahead. Problems, at present, with some mouldings, by all accounts

although being 'pipped to the post' by Bachmann, they are still going ahead.

I hardly think 'pipped' is the right expression! The promised release dates of the Replica MLV appear to go in the same cycle as Halley's comet.

Class 499 TLV S68201- 68206 (Mk1 BG with high level air pipes for use with MLV, CEP, BEP)

Carried blue/grey on 1968 conversion until withdrawal. S68203 possibly converted in lined maroon.

Mark Brinton records in his document 'BR Mk1 NPCCS' the following:

S68201 (ex M80913)

S68202 (ex M80918)

S68203 (ex M80922) (converted in lined maroon)

S68204 (ex M80925)

S68205 (ex M80942)

S68206 (ex M80951)

All are recorded as having BR2 bogies on conversion during 1968 but later having Mk2 bogies fitted- ? during 1974. Withdrawal came in 1976 and all were later transferred to the departmental fleet.

To add to the later story of the TLVs, from the Platform 5 departmentals book of 1984, with a couple of typos/omissions*

All ADB prefix:

975610 QRX stores van, converted 1976 from TLV S68205, formerly M80942, stored condemned.

975611 QRX* stores van, converted 1976 from TLV S68201*, formerly M80915**, stored for conversion to BTU tool van.

975612 QRX stores van, converted 1976 from TLV S68203, formerly M80922, stored condemned.

975613 QQX BTU tool van, formerly stores van, converted 1976 from TLV S68202, formerly **S80918.

975614 QQX BTU tool van, formerly stores van, converted 1976 from TLV S68204, formerly M80925.

975615 QQX BTU tool van, formerly stores van, converted 1976 from TLV S68206, formerly M80951.

*975611 listed in that book as QRC (typo in TOPS code) and didn't mention its former TLV identity, deduced by process of elimination.

**contradicting the earlier information. Given the typos and omissions in the Platform 5 book already, I'd expect the earlier info to be correct.

I assume some of the model mags will include an account of the 419s in the coming months and hopefully include the TLVs in there. They certainly deserve some column inches.

Were any MLVs on display at the Bachmann stand at this weekend's DEMU show?

I assume some of the model mags will include an account of the 419s in the coming months and hopefully include the TLVs in there. They certainly deserve some column inches.

Were any MLVs on display at the Bachmann stand at this weekend's DEMU show?

There's some footage of one running in the Model Rail office on either Facebook or Youtube - saw it while I was in Canada but can't remember where.

CHRIS LEIGH

Archived