Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

Over the last couple of days, I've been building up one of two Cambrian Salmon bogie bolsters that I've had for ages, and have been quite chuffed with how it's been going.

Anyway, I came to the part where I needed to pop the wheels in the bogies so did so and to check whether everything was square, popped it on the track, only to find that it wouldn't sit right, making me think I'd made a huge error somewhere. After scratching my head for ages, it turns out that I'd been given EM wheels rather than OO. 

That'll explain why it looks a bit wonky in this shot :D

salmon002_zps845bdcac.jpg

EM wheels eh, maybe fate is trying to tell you something....

Love the piccies.

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jason

Don't you listen to them three. :no2:

Another suggestion.

Just take your wheels and axles out of their bogies, place them in a vice and close gently until they are the right width apart. :yes:

Edited by Clive Mortimore

Hi Jason

Don't you listen to them three. :no2:

Another suggestion.

Just take your wheels and axles out of their bogies, place them in a vice and close gently until they are the right width apart. :yes:

Don't say that Clive, shame on you..... Jason, just send them to me and I'll send you some Hornby ones by return, I've got a load of those old square axle ones.... Just need to turn the flanges down in the trusty Black & Decker.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

As I popped out earlier to get a sandwich, I thought I'd take my camera with me and get a few snaps. The idea was to get a couple of shots of the colour of stone setts, walling, etc., as I am currently painting up / weathering some Redutex textured sheets and want to get it something like (I know I am in West Riding but the stone doesn't differ too much between here and East Lancashire) but got a bit carried away.

As per usual, some of the below are not high quality, and the ones of the Midland warehouse is for basic reference (I fancy having a go at modelling it). So, without any further ado, and I apologise already for the length of this post.

Now I know that the stone here is probably a fair bit cleaner than it would have been in 1962 but for the basic colour, this is useful. This curving path is next to the canal locks (3 rise, not 5 rise, for those who know the area)

Things011_zps8bb4be22.jpg

Cobbled road / back alley. 

Things019_zps5acbf21a.jpg

Retaining wall at the bottom lock of the canal; obviously re-pointed at some time

Things013_zps99688b70.jpg

Wall built with a mix of uneven and blocked stone - whatever was left over from the house, I suppose...

Things018_zps264bd16c.jpg

Midland warehouse. Will get shots of the other sides next time I venture over to that side of town (over the footbridge basically)

Things010_zps0a4e3d97.jpg

Things012_zpsb5d742e9.jpg

Things017_zps307cc180.jpg

Some tin box on wheels, for those who like such things (it was passing; would have been rude to not take a snapshot)

Things014_zps9474fb9b.jpg

I got home to find that this had arrived. Time to start searching for a suitable number to match the model (Midland built, Fowler tender, shedded somewhere that may have seen it trip to Bacup)

Things022_zps89b05770.jpg

The sandwich was decidedly average :D

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

A comparison shot of cobbles; still more work to be done (bit more grey in the mix?).....

Redutex sheet with a couple of washes added:

Things_zpseff2c7d7.jpg

Real cobbles:

Things019_zps5acbf21a.jpg

• Like 6

I got home to find that this had arrived. Time to start searching for a suitable number to match the model (Midland built, Fowler tender, shedded somewhere that may have seen it trip to Bacup)

post-7286-0-78797900-1376923742.jpg

According to the KWVR stockbook, No.43924 was allocated to Gloucester (Barnwood) from 1950 to 1962 and to Bristol (Barrow Road) 9/62 to withdrawal in 1965, not that I worry too much about such things. Of course, you are now well-situated to see the prototype in action or on shed at Haworth, and seek further information from those who look after it - you lucky beggar!

Edited by bluebottle

• RMweb Premium

I took Sofia to Haworth a few weeks ago to show her the village and by 'total and utter chance', 43924 pulled into Haworth Station as we walked back down the hill :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That 4F is a little cracker - I assume it came from Hattons? I've got the same loco on pre-order now with Kernow (my preferred supplier). They haven't received stocks of the late crest model - soon, I hope!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

Things022_zps89b05770.jpg

That looks really nice, I definitely want some of those.

Have you had it running yet, what's it like?

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Not had chance Al; I've basically got it out of the box and that's it. Away in London tonight and tomorrow (catching the train shortly) but when I get back, I'll run it in and begin the search for a likely contender for it to become before renumbering, etc. *

I can tell you that the body looks a lot nicer than my old Airfix one.

* Tim, etc., any suggestions would be most helpful :)

• RMweb Gold

Retaining wall at the bottom lock of the canal; obviously re-pointed at some time

Things013_zps99688b70.jpg

It's interesting, the base stone is quite a light colour (with some variations), similar to the millstone grit that I'm modelling for Bakewell.

This is the corner of the station building:

post-17302-0-80028200-1376930345_thumb.jpg

And this is my attempt at getting that same sort of look:

post-17302-0-30521000-1376929546.jpg

I used Humbrol Pale Stone No.121 as a base, and then went over it with a very dilute wash of a mix of Humbrol Olive Drab No.66 and Humbrol Matt Sand No.63, and then obviously darker washes for the blackened bits.

Cheers,

Al

• Like 3

Jo Jason, glad you got home safe and had a NICE LITTLE SURPRISE TODAY. I should pick mine up on Wednesday.

Great to meet up at last and have a laugh along the way.

Thanks for bringing down the building it really is the dogs ***** mate.

BTW I realised when I got home that Bacup is Blackburn NOT notthe Manchester, DOOOOOOOO NUT. :no:

Bodgit :sungum:

* Tim, etc., any suggestions would be most helpful :)

Well, ideal ones that spring to mind are:  43880, 43913 and 44096 - all three were Bury-allocated between 1960 to 1964 (the first one was from 1959) and are RH drive.  All match your model there :)   Will they do?

Cheers,

Well, ideal ones that spring to mind are: 43880, 43913 and 44096 - all three were Bury-allocated between 1960 to 1964 (the first one was from 1959) and are RH drive. All match your model there :) Will they do?

Cheers,

Hi Jason and Tim

I hope you don't mind me correcting you but while the first two are perfect (MR right-hand drive locos, 43835 - 44026), the third loco 44096 was an LMS-built left-hand drive loco built in 1925 by Kerr Stuart.

Regards

Bill Edited by Mythocentric

Hi Jason and Tim

I hope you don't mind me correcting you but while the first two are perfect (MR right-hand drive locos, 43835 - 44026), the third loco 44096 was an LMS-built left-hand drive loco built in 1925 by Kerr Stuart.

Regards

Bill

Hi Bill,

Hope you don't mind a small counter-correction there ;).  The first left-hand drive 4F was 4207.  4027 was the first LMS-built loco though, so I'll give you that one.

Cheers,

Getting back to the cobbles - I think the present colouration of the stones is too yellow. Maybe more greys and odd stones picked out with other colours as per the photo of the real thing? Plenty of room between the stones on a Redutex sheet for moss anyway!

Hi Bill,

Hope you don't mind a small counter-correction there ;).  The first left-hand drive 4F was 4207.  4027 was the first LMS-built loco though, so I'll give you that one.

Cheers,

Thanks for the heads-up Tim. I've always been under the (mistaken) impression that the change to l/h drive was immediate from 44027. I am now a much wiser person! :good: :good:

Right! Back behind the settee I think!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric

• RMweb Premium

A bit of an update; been painting, building, upgrading and buying things in the past week.

Painting:

I have never been that happy with the surface for the goods yard. Whilst I really like the Howard Scenics cobbles (and they are much finer than their replacements), painting them to get them to be the correct tone has been a right royal pain in the ######. it wasn't too bad on the road sections but for a large area, getting it all to match up was just frustrating. As such, I toyed with the idea of DAS and scribing but thought I would give the Redutex textured sheets a go instead (as mentioned a few posts back). These aren't quite as fine as the Howards ones, with quite a gap between the setts but they are probably as good (if not better) than I would have managed with DAS. Also, despite coming pre-coloured, they needed a fair bit of painting and weathering, and I may still do further work on them.

The beauty of them is that they are adhesive and can be manipulated to an extent, so I've stuck them down on the top of the Howards cobbles (only done one bit so far though.

First pic is as they come versus painted up:

Things035_zps776464eb.jpg

Next, a sort of comparison. As can be seen, the area around the goods shed has been paved with them; the rest is still the rather glossy HS sheets (far too grey/blue)

Things042_zpseeef4b96.jpg

Building:

It's been a while since I built any structures and I was getting withdrawal symptoms, so I cracked out the plastikard and SEF sheets and started to knock together a small brick built shed for something to do. No idea why I bothered to model the fireplace as (1) it will never be seen and (2) I'm probably not going to use the building anyway. Was fun though.

Things038_zps4d7574c3.jpg

Things040_zps950ebd5a.jpg

Upgrading:

It's Tim's fault. He had a couple of Airfix/Dapol LMS suburbans on his demo table the other day and was fitting Shawplan laser glazing to them

Things029_zpsef8f93d1.jpg

Buying things:

As a result of messing around with LMS suburbans, I thought I'd have a look on eBay. this may be in LMS livery but it cost me 99p (plus postage). It's an Airfix 57' Lav Brake.

Things026_zpsd312ee12.jpg

I now have three kits to build, following an impulse buy of this, a L&Y Class 27, something I've wanted for ages. I've had the bits out of the box and read the instructions, looks not too difficult (famous last words there.....)

Things030_zps2cbfd1a9.jpg

Things034_zps7e0db360.jpg

And that's it (for now)

J.

• Like 11

EM wheels eh, maybe fate is trying to tell you something....

Love the piccies.

Dave Franks.                                                                                               Definitely you will have to relay reguage everything now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!