Kirkby Luneside (Original): End of the line....

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

For some reason, probably because your thread draws us all in like moths to a light, I found myself today wondering how you are going to achieve the right look for the grass using a static grass applicator, when I should really have been concentrating on the global change forum meeting I was chairing :D

Having now used one, they give great results but the grass does seem to be a bit uniform, whereas the grass on the moors is anything but. All I could come up with is making random small lumps at the plaster level so that when you grass it, you will be left with the characteristic tussocks. I reckon you will need to do some experimentation there as if the grass is too even, it won't look right,

I told you urban settings are easier :D

• RMweb Premium

For some reason, probably because your thread draws us all in like moths to a light, I found myself today wondering how you are going to achieve the right look for the grass using a static grass applicator, when I should really have been concentrating on the global change forum meeting I was chairing :D

Having now used one, they give great results but the grass does seem to be a bit uniform, whereas the grass on the moors is anything but. All I could come up with is making random small lumps at the plaster level so that when you grass it, you will be left with the characteristic tussocks. I reckon you will need to do some experimentation there as if the grass is too even, it won't look right,

Must have been an exciting meeting if you were dreaming of Cumbrian landscapes!!

Have to admit - I've never used static grass. I have used some of the excellent "tuft" grass products sold by International Models. There are plenty to choose from - I can't remember the (German) manufacturer (it isn't Noch). The Autumn and Winter colours are subdued enough to be perfect for the fell-side.

I think the hillside is going to evolve by trial and error. I've already "cut" a sheep trail into the first bit of hill, but the lighting doesn't show it clearly. All good fun...

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

The Global Change Forum is incredibly tedious, mainly because the only global part of it is that I have the dubious honour of chairing it on a Wednesday. It is basically a meeting where representatives from the business units tell people in Networks why they can't implement their changes, all in the US, at great length. As exciting as it sounds.

The static grass things are great, for lawns. I wanted an uneven and scruffy grass area for the bit of land in front of the mill and I ended up with an area that just looks far too uniform. I will obviously experiment further and let you know how I get on, but I reckon that it is going to be a case of random blobs of glue and longer grass fibres.

I saw the 4mm Blea Moor layout at Warley a few years ago and they had used teddy bear fur. Other than the (to me) far too obvious lines between sections, it looked like the kind of rough and unkempt grass you get on high, boggy ground but it is a lot of effort including dyes, airbrushing, scissors, etc.

Hi Jason, (sorry to jump on your thread Jeff) :sungum: Have a look at Loch Leven, Glen Roy and bits of Trebudoc, I put down some green foamy sort of scatter and Anita Decor flock into the PVA and then Static Grass over , around and then change SHADES and Lengths of Grass for variation.

Had my say , I am off now :no:

Some people may say that I HAVE BEEN OFF FOR YEARS :nono:

Static Lune,               I AM GOING NOWHERE :sungum:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just checked... Silhouette/miniNatur is the manufacturer.

Really good stuff - though expensive.

Link here: http://www.internationalmodels.net/acatalog/Silflor_Tufts.html

Jeff

ps. can you actually buy "teddy bear fur" on a sheet - or do you have to rip some poor, unsuspecting teddy to bits?!!  :cry:  :cry:

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy. Basically it is a case of making the ground uneven beforehand then?

I'm going to suggest that Andy does a "masterclass" video on his scenic techniques. I have my own ways, but I'd like to see how he handles static grass.

Jeff

• Like 1

The Top 20 posters lists have been very funny over the last week or so. They've been populated by lots of Lunesters. Why?....

Well, it's not just because you lot are always on KL. We now have active layout threads from:

AndyP (Trebudoc) / Jim (Hemyock) / BillyB (Shedrington) / jukebox (Stockrington) / Jason (Bacup) / Mike (Dent) / Duncan (Oxted Park) / Polly (GWR) / Tender (avago) - hell, even Andy (uax6) has started one (in Dioramas).

Apologies if I've missed you out...

Even King Mike the Stationmaster pays us his daily visits to confer his "Likes", especially with rogues like Peter!

And Jim - when I've finished, I'm going to beam the bunker to the top of Scafell Pike and set up the Lakeland Hill modelling Centre there!! 

Jeff

Apologies to 

Well I can't speak for the others, but I figure if I can't be working on my own layout, I may as well be contributing to one I'd be happy to have built!

(that layout list seems to be rather diverse too - not like it's 10 S&C tragics, all building a segment...)

Don't forget to post a "wide angle" view every now and again, Jeff, so we get a sense of how much work has been done overall, as well as what remains.

Regards

Scott

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The wide-angle view is a good idea, Scott.

I'll oblige you by going into the bunker and taking a couple of shots. Bear with me - look back in around 15 mins and I'll see what I've got!

Jeff

Remote control photography from 10,000 miles away!  Thank you.

Just what the Dr (well, BSc, anyway!) ordered.  Good to get a sense of how the whole lot is coming together I think.

Now, off for my toast and coffee... :P

S

Edited by jukebox

Quote: "well, Bill (Mythocentric) claims he lives on the far side of the Moon - Morecambe!!"

Hee Hee! I know it's quite a few posts back but I could'nt resist this. I was in the Old Pier Book Shop today (sort of a Valhalla for book lovers where the shelves occupy more space than the shop itself!) talking to the owner and a couple of lecturer's from Lancaster University about Terry Pratchett's early years at the uni and his influences. It appears that I live, not on the dark side of the moon as previously thought, but in Ankh-Morpork! (The clues in the name!). Makes me feel very humble dunnit guv!

Anyhow, back on topic, I found these photo's in my portfolio which you may find useful. Not the S&C but it is a viaduct (on the old Colne-Skipton line). May be handy for colour reference and they do have a dead tree and a drystone wall in them. Incidentally that viaduct curves even more than yours does Jeff. As they say, theres a prototype for everything!

post-14791-0-80009900-1359588850.jpg

post-14791-0-87272600-1359588914.jpg

Regards to all

Cut-Me-Own-Throat Lunester

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening Bill,

Nice viaduct! And, of course, you can post it - rather than just a web link - as it's your own work. All images like this are very useful, sometimes in surprising ways. I don't have the eye of an artist, but compositions from the natural world - "how it is" - are brilliant. A simple example - the tree, wall and wild grass arrangement in the second image.

I didn't think they had structures like this on the Discworld!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

Jeff

Like the work you've done so far  :good:  However, I am looking forward to it being wired and a short Andy / George film of a loco on it :jester:

Who actually knows what's on Discworld? It develops just like a layout.  It's good to know I'm not the only Terry Pratchett fan on here.

Duncan - Lunesters Guild

Evening Jeff,

Scenery is already starting to look impressive, I do like those wide angle shots!

Seeing as you mentioned grass materials by Silfor/Anita Decor (from International models), I thought you may be interested in a range of products from a very nice chap in my "neck of the woods" (Germany!);http://www.langmesser-modellwelt.de/index.php?cPath=100_136_161_163&osCsid=2b6a792cf43f61b61683c5d4694fa8c0

I saw these materials being demonstrated at the recent Cologne exhibition and they really are stunning!

Herr Langmesser does actually speak some English and his wife is fluent if you wanted to drop them an email?

No connection other than as a customer and great admirer of his work.

Pröst!

Deutsche Lunester.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the link, John. Amazing how good some of those modern grass-mats look! And now we have masses of ancilliary bits to stick here, there and everywhere on the layout.

Are you currently based in Germany? You seem to get around a fair bit.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Look on Herr Langmesser's site the mats that immeadiately say LuneFell to me are: F523, F533, F603 and F610. They are impressive, now which one for an embankment in Scotland......?

The wide angle shot actually makes the size of Lunefell look smaller for some reason. I was expecting a bit more height!

Still it's coming on nicely, well done Jeff.

I hope to be getting something on the diorama this weekend....

Andy

• Like 1

Morning Jeff, Just stopped for a coffee and NO CAKE :O  I have a blood test next week and SWMBO has banned cake for a week.

Those long distance shoots really do make a big impact on the overall view of the layout, it shows the scale of the Viaduct / Fell reelationship and is really impressive, keep the BIG PICS COMING,

I was just saying on George T's Abbotts Mead site that untill I started doing Micro Layouts I very rarely got any trully finnished    NEVER got any finished, most only got as far as you are now, then I would put a train or two on, play for a Month or two and then RIP IT UP and start again.

Re the scenics video, George and I will have a chat on Saturday and I will sort something out for you guys, You have all been so kind so far but it was George that started doing the Videos for me and then encouraged me to have a go, and it has worked.

I hope you liked the bit in the second one where I said ' and previously on Trebudoc', that was a take off fromm Dallas :no:   

Coffee done, back to the housework :O

Old Lune :sungum:   

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Lunchtime Andy,

I've been in the bunker for the last couple of hours adding plaster to the second hill section. It's nice when they take some kind of shape. At the moment I want to keep them removeable, so I'm not joining them together. Pity about that, as a single 2 metre length of hill might look quite good. Maybe next week when a bit of electrickery work has been done...

It would be good to see a video on your scenic work. I've got my own methods, but I've always tended to use the standard flock products. The list of things to order - to cover the hills - is already growing. And yes, "previously on Trebudoc..." Star Trek episodes used the variant "Last time on Star Trek Voyager".... etc. As long as you don't introduce the video with a voice-over announcing it as a PRUR-MEER (premier) recording! Urgghh!

I bet your starving without your cake. I've come in to do my daily torture exercise routine on the exercise bike and rowing machine. Then coffee and more bunker....

As the man from Swadlincote says.... "catch you later!"

Jeff

:locomotive:   :O  :O EXERCIZE   :O  :O  :O              YOU HAVE JUST PUT ME OFF LOOKING ON HERE AGAIN,    

I went upstairs this morning to clean my teeth after breakfast, does that count???????????? :nono: 

Time for a nap, me thinks.

Sleepy little Lune :sungum:  :locomotive:  :locomotive: :locomotive:  

:locomotive:   :O  :O EXERCIZE   :O  :O  :O              YOU HAVE JUST PUT ME OFF LOOKING ON HERE AGAIN,    

I went upstairs this morning to clean my teeth after breakfast, does that count???????????? :nono: 

Time for a nap, me thinks.

Sleepy little Lune :sungum:  :locomotive:  :locomotive: :locomotive:  

Time for bed said Zeberdee Lune

• RMweb Premium

Funny how things turn out isn't it?

After work I nipped to the 'smoke' (Ely!) and picked up some modelling supplies (our brand mix yourself polyfilla, some testers of green and brown paint, a washing up bowl and some nitromors) and slung them in the back of the van. Got home (it's fun driving a moggy van in 30mph winds with 60mph gusts!) and reversed onto the drive, but before driving backwards into the carport, stopped to get the bits out of the van. As I walked round the van, I noticed a brown cardboard tube lying across the entrance to the carport. Picked it up and it was for me. Good job i didn't just reverse as normal, as I bet I wouldn't have seen it in the tiny mirrors on the van.

Anyway got it into the house and inspected, the box had been bent and had two tears. Opened it up and out came the track. The little bits were ok, the longer bit had a couple of chairs off one side and the two long lengths had an area of bendage and chairs off. Fortunatley it's all striaghten out and looks ok!

Its very different to Peco isn't it? Much finer and although it looks fragile it seems to be quite forgiving!

Thanks again Jeff

Andy